PARENT NOTE – September 18, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE HCS SCHOOL BOARD
As summer comes to an end and another school year begins, we thank God for His blessings and for His watching over the HCS community while we were apart, involved in our various summer activities and we pray for His continued blessings during the upcoming school year.
While summer offers a time away from books, homework, MAP and ISTEP tests, it is, nonetheless, a busy time at school. During the summer the Building and Grounds Committee oversees the various projects that maintain and enhance HCS’ physical plant and grounds. This summer we upgraded our fire alarm and security systems, repainted some bathrooms, resurfaced a portion of the main drive and continued with carpet replacement as scheduled.
During the summer, the final aspects of our Jr. High 1:1 project were completed and as the new school year started we were able to provide Apple MacBook laptop computers to each of our Jr. High students to enhance their learning opportunities. The STEM curriculum added another component, robotics, and the Launch program was added to the K-5 curriculum as preparation for participation in the full STEM program in Jr. High. An updated, enhanced Language Arts curriculum was also added. At the end of the summer, as the result of an extremely generous gift, we were able to purchase sufficient iPads and carts to enable the rollout of the K-5 1:1 iPad initiative.
At HCS we strive to provide an environment that supports our students’ faith foundation, formation and growth. Our mission statement is action based, committing the HCS community to live a life of service to the Kingdom of God through the leading of the Holy Spirit. It is within this environment that we are committed to the academic growth of all our students. As Christians, our calling is that “whatever [we] do, do it all for the glory of God.” Living out that calling at HCS manifests itself in our Principal, faculty and staff working to continuously improve and to create a professional learning community at HCS. We are thankful that this attitude has been recognized by Christian Schools International (CSI) awarding HCS accreditation for another five years. Additionally, the State of Indiana has awarded HCS “Freeway Accreditation” for five years as well.
We thank you for your prayers and support and we thank God for His blessings.
1. HCS Picture Day: Tomorrow, Sept. 19, Interstate Studio will be taking the school pictures of our 1st through 8th grade students. Please send the order form back with your child on Picture Day. If your child forgets his order form, you may order pictures online at www.inter-state.com/order using order code 19760SF.
2. Grandparents’ Day invitations will be mailed out this week. If your child’s grandparent information has changed, please contact the school office. New Families: Please send your child’s grandparent information to the office as soon as possible so we can add them to our list.
3. Grandparents’ Day Help on Oct. 6: We are in need of a few more people to help on Grandparents’ Day. If you are willing to help in the kitchen, please contact the librarian, Judy Zandstra for more information. If you are willing to help in the hallways, directing grandparents to classrooms and handing out information, please contact Laurel Reynhout, 2nd grade teacher.
4. The HCS delicious apple slices are back! They will be ready-to-bake or are able to be frozen. Apple Slices are sold in an 8×12 pan and cost $10.00. Sale ends Sept. 27 and pick-up will be Oct. 17 from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
5. See You at the Pole: Next Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 7:45 a.m. we are gathering around the HCS flagpole to pray for our nation, school, friends, and family. Everyone is invited to come and pray with us!
6. If your child will not be riding the bus home on any given day, please let the office and your child’s bus driver know that they will not be riding.
7. Pick-Up Reminder: For the safety of our students, please do not use your cell phone while driving in the pick-up line.
1. Muffins for Misses will be September 27 from 7:55-8:25 a.m. Come and enjoy some fellowship!
1. Dollars & Dillys – Big Contest at etc!! Attention all kdg.-8th graders! etc…a resale marketplace is holding a sort night contest for all kdg.-8th grade classrooms. The classroom who has the most adult participation at their scheduled sort night, wins an ice-cream party and a $10.00 etc voucher for each child in their classroom. The next sort night is Thursday, Sept. 28 for 7th grade from 6:00-8:00.
Tuesday, Sept. 19 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:15 start
A soccer vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00 start
Wed., Sept. 20 – Bishop Noll Invitational Cross Country Meet at Lost Marsh Golf Course, Hammond – 4:30 start
Thursday, Sept. 21 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:15 start
A&B soccer vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00 start
Friday, Sept. 22 – Chicago Southwest Chicago Christian Tinley Park Invitational Meet at Tinley Park – 4:15 start
Calvary Classic 7th Grade Volleyball Tournament at Calvary Academy – 7th girls – 4:00 start
Saturday, Sept. 23 – Calvary Classic 8th Grade Volleyball Tournament at Calvary Academy – 8th girls – 9:00 a.m. start
1. Today is Thank-Scrip-ing Day with shopwithscrip.com for all of our registered online participants! There are extra bonuses for scrip now, reload and reload now cards. Not registered with the online order process? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information.
2. Next week: NO PRESTOPAY FEES for all online orders with the shopwithscrip.com program from September 23rd through the 29th!!
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment this Thursday Sept. 21st by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 9/18): Restaurant.com – 64%; Shutterfly – 11%; Boston Market – 13%; PetSmart – 7%.
5. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter, Laura McDonald) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Sept. 19. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Sept. 26; Team A – Oct. 3; Team B – Oct. 10; Team C – Oct. 17
1. You are invited to the “Let’s Finish This” fundraising dinner at Illiana’s new campus property (10920 Calumet Ave. Dyer, IN 46311) on Saturday, September 30, at 4:00 p.m. Join us for dinner, music and a tour of the new campus building site. Come hear our vision for building the hearts and minds of our students for Jesus Christ. Everyone will get an opportunity to write Bible verses, prayers or any encouraging words on the concrete floor of the ARC. Everyone is welcome so bring your family and join us as we “Finish This”! Please RSVP by September 22 at BuildingIlliana.com.