PARENT NOTE – March 19, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
In order to keep the calendar free for ISTEP Part 2 testing, which runs from April 16 to May 4, the following changes are being made:
• May Late Start moves from May 2 to May 9
• Protect Young Eyes with Chris McKenna moves from May 1 to May 14. After he spends the day with students, Chris will meet with their parents at 7:00 p.m. You won’t want to miss this opportunity to have Chris help you navigate the challenges facing our students with technology. This meeting is mandatory for parents of current 5th graders in preparation for their children receiving school Macbooks in the fall of 6th grade.
• Service Day will move from April 27 to June 1.
There are some things that we can’t change like Young Authors and Math Triathlon, but clearing the calendar helps us stay focused.
Note: In order to check our inventory of Macbooks and make preparations for the summer and next year, junior high students will leave their laptops at school for spring break.
1. Important Reminder: Due to a snow make-up day, there will be school on Good Friday, March 30. It will be a 1:45 dismissal and there is no aftercare on that day.
2. Everyone is invited to our K-5 Spring Program this Thursday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m. Students in grades K-5 should dress in an Easter color – light blue, yellow, green, purple, pink, white, or orange (no sweatpants or jeans with holes) and be in their classrooms between 6:30 and 6:45 p.m. This is a mandatory performance for all K-5 students.
3. Everyone is invited to the All-School Gifts Assembly this Thursday, March 22 at 8:40 a.m. in the gym.
4. HCS parent and Prayer Group Leader, Mrs. Koutz, invites students and parents for a time of prayer on Wed., March 21 at 8:00 a.m. in the HCS Prayer Garden. If you are not familiar with the Prayer Garden, it is in front of the school to the west of the main entrance. This prayer initiative is being encouraged at all Highland schools.
5. Smile.amazon.com donates 0.5% to Association for Christian Instruction: Your purchase at AmazonSmile will earn Highland Christian School great rewards! AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to Highland Christian School when you select us as your charitable organization. HCS is listed as the “Association for Christian Instruction.” BONUS: Amazon Smile is granting 3 times the points now through the end of March. 1.5% of every purchase designated to Association for Christian Instruction will go to Highland Christian School.
6. Reminder: If you choose to have your child share a birthday treat with his or her classmates, please send it in a package that can be put in the children’s backpacks at the end of the day to take and enjoy at home. This practice allows us to preserve valuable learning time and also allows parents to decide if the treat is consistent with the dietary choices appropriate for their child.
1. Toys R Us has filed for bankruptcy and will be closing all of their U.S. stores. If you have any gift cards for this store use them immediately!
2. Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates will be available for sale beginning the week of April 9th.
3. Interested in buying Cash & Carry gift cards from the TRIP office before spring break? Contact the TRIP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 with a list of cards you would like to buy.
4. Countdown to Spring Break! This week is the last week to place a TRIP order before Spring break. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thurs., Mar. 22nd by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 19): Bass Pro Shops – 11%; Game Stop – 4%; JCPenney – 5%; Meijer – 5%; Shutterfly – 10%; The Home Depot – 6%; Domino’s – 10%; Red Robin – 10%, TGI Fridays – 9%.
6. Team B (Kathi Fulton, Suzanne Van Ek, Amy Jellema, Lisa Long) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Mar. 20th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Mar. 27; Team D – Apr. 17; Team A – Apr. 24; Team B – May 1
1. Men of A-Chord Christian Men’s Chorus is pleased to announce our annual “Night of Song” Concerts. There will be FOUR men’s choruses participating in TWO concerts this year! Saturday, April 28 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 29 at 2:00 p.m. The concerts will be held at First Christian Reformed Church, (16248 South Park Ave., South Holland, IL). Everyone is welcome to join us for a time of praise to God our Savior. There is no cost to attend. For more information see our website at www.menofachord.org.
2. GEMS FUNDRAISER: Visit Culver’s in Highland on Saturday, April 7, from 11am to 8pm and they will donate 10% of sales to our New Life’s GEMS Club! Enjoy a delicious meal, benefit a great cause & feel good all over! Please remember to mention GEMS when you place your order.
3. Now Hiring Accountant: Barnabas Foundation seeks an Accountant to join the finance team in its Crete, Illinois office. The accountant’s primary responsibilities are to support the Accounting Manager in the recording and reporting of financial transaction, and to administrator all aspects of trust and gift annuities from the initial proposal for clients up until the final distribution of the residual account balance to charity. Qualifications for this entry level position include: desire to apply accounting skills in Christian nonprofit setting; trustworthy with confidential information; excellent attention to detail and accuracy; positive attitude and ability to work well with others; ability to multi-task in an organized manner; excellent keyboarding and computer skills. A four-year degree in accounting is desired, and prior experience in non-profit accounting is helpful. Interested candidates should email a resume to jobs@BarnabasFoundation.com. To learn more about Barnabas Foundation and view details of the job description go to www.BarnabasFoundation.com/careers.
4. Please join us at Illiana Christian High School on Tuesday, April 24th, for the annual “Evening for Illiana” fundraising dinner. This will be the final dinner at the Lansing campus and we have some special things planned! Dinner will be served in the upper gym from 5pm until 7pm. Farewell Lansing campus tours will be guided by former and current teachers and staff from 5pm to 6pm. Fine Arts displays will be open during dinner and the Fine Arts program, featuring competition winners, will take place in the chapel at 7pm. No reservations needed, but we would appreciate knowing if you are coming! RSVPs can be sent to email@example.com or please call Nicole Smit at 708-946-6669 to let us know you are coming. Donations will be accepted at the door. We would love to see you there!