PARENT NOTE – November 27, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Have you been asked if you had a good Thanksgivng? I have – and I posed this question to our students: “What makes a good Thanksgiving?” There are so many aspects of the holiday that are marketed to us – mostly taking a holiday about being grateful for what you have and turning it in to a holiday for wanting more!
I think a good Thanksgiving involves gratitude to God for who He is and for the work He is doing in my life to continue to make me into the person he wants me to be. I am thankful for the opportunity we have at Highland Christian School, to prepare these students for the life God has prepared for them – as last year’s theme verse said: they are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good work which God has prepared in advance for them to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
1. Important Calendar Update: School will dismiss on Friday, Dec. 22 at 1:45 p.m.
2. Amazon Smile donates 0.5% to Highland Christian: Your purchase at AmazonSmile will earn Highland Christian School great rewards! AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to Highland Christian School when you select us as your charitable organization. HCS is listed as the Association for Christian Instruction. Please remember to “SMILE” when shopping Amazon. Cyber Monday is here!
3. Office Depot “Give Back to Schools”: Every time schools, teachers, students, parents and school supporters give a school’s 5% Back to Schools Program ID number 70036301 when shopping at Office Depot, that school will receive credits equal to 5% of the qualifying purchases to use for free supplies. If you don’t have the ID number with you, try offering the school phone number (838-0356). They may be able to confirm it with the Business Manager’s name, Roberta Huitsing.
4. Homemade vanilla ($2.00 for an 8oz. bottle) is for sale in the HCS office for all of your holiday baking.
1. The Art Department is in need of your newspapers. Thank you in advance for sending some to school.
1. Tuesday, Nov. 28 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Nov. 30 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Monday, Dec. 4 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. etc – the thrift store benefitting HCS has the following job opportunities. Please contact Debra Brown for more information or to submit an application (219) 865-5400.
Delivery Truck Driver – Part-time position driving a box truck to deliver and pick up furniture. You will also help move furniture on the showroom floor as needed. This position is for 2-3 days/wk. incl. Saturday.
A valid driver’s license and good driving record
Age – at least 18 yrs. old
Available to work Saturdays and a couple weekdays
Able to lift and move furniture
Cordial in interactions with customers
Cashier /Floor Assistant – Part-time Cashier/Floor Assistant. This is an entry level position with the expectation that you will transition into the role of Assistant Manager. This position is for 2-3 days/wk. with an occasional Saturday.
Present a welcoming appearance to guests who visit etc
Cordial in interactions with customers
Ability to handle cash and accurately ring sales on the register
Able to work Saturdays and a couple weekdays
Leadership ability and discernment
Able to manage other employees and volunteers
Able to remain calm in busy or stressful situations
1. The TRIP office will be offering a Cash & Carry Gift Card Store in December. Watch the Parent Note for information on times the store will be open and gift cards available to purchase! Call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Nov.30th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 11/27): Bob Evans – 11%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%; Meijer – 5%; Petsmart- 8%; Starbuck’s – 8%.
4. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 12/2): American Eagle – 11%; Bass Pro Shops – 12%; CVS – 7%; Home Depot – 6%; Landry’s – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%; Red Robin – 10%.
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Tori Smits, Lupe Morales, Cheryl Filler) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 28th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B– Dec. 5; Team C – Dec. 12; Team D – Dec. 19; Team A – Jan. 16
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian High School has to offer at Preview Illiana this Thursday, November 30 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, observe live teaching, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 ext. 49 with any questions.
2. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – December 7th at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanies by a parent or guardian.
Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. will see a reenactment of Christ’s birth, pizza lunch, games, cookie decorating and music.
Grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. will hear the Christmas story, pizza, games, cookie decorating and face painting.
The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of socks (adult or kids), or hygiene items.
3. Living Hope Church, 9000 Taft St., Merrillville is having performances of the Shake Up Christmas production on Dec. 1, 2, and 3. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. with the show beginning at 7:00 p.m. Special additional Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. This is a Fun, Free event for all ages! Please contact Living Hope at 219-769-3601 for more information.