PARENT NOTE – January 6, 2020
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Welcome back, and happy 2020! We hope that you and your family had a restful Christmas break filled with family, friends, and time celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior. As we enter into the second half of the school year, it is important to remember our “method to the madness” and why we do what we do.
Why be a PLC?
Highland Christian is a professional learning community for multiple reasons:
1. It provides teachers with a targeted focus and strategies for assisting students to learn at the highest of levels!
2. It gives teachers and students ownership and confidence that they will meet the guaranteed and viable curriculum. All students will learn!
3. It helps all students learn – meeting the unique needs of each child! Nobody slips through the cracks.
How are students part of a PLC?
1. Students are able to understand their role in the classroom and what to do if they:
a. Are struggling with the material (how to receive assistance).
b. Have mastered the material (use classroom resources to move beyond grade-level standards).
c. Self-assess their level of mastery to focus on the “what’s next”.
Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) are all about working hard to provide academic benefit to our students. Thank you for your partnership as you encourage your student(s) to ask questions in class, promote diving deeper with the resources available (Learning.com, IXL, Nearpod), and assist with work outside of the 8:30 – 3:10 school day. Together, we are making a huge difference!
Kyle R. Weener – Principal
1. Thanks you! Thank you! The faculty and staff of Highland Christian would like to thank all of our HCS families for the wonderful goodies, gifts, and Christmas wishes this holiday season. We pray that all of you had a joyous Christmas season!
2. Important Reminder: There is no late start this Wed., Jan. 8.
3. Looking for a Christian preschool or kindergarten experience? Your child will blossom at Highland Christian School! We invite you to join us for our PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSE next Monday, January 13 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Through hands-on discovery, teacher led instruction and small group activities, your child will develop new skills, build positive relationships and grow in character as they build their knowledge of God’s world and His Word. Learn more about the curriculum, classroom practices, and learning communities at Highland Christian School (PreK-Gr8), 3040 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN. For more information, visit www.highlandchristian.org or contact Jodi at 219-838-0356 ext. #16.
4. Congratulations to the junior high spelling bee winners! The sixth grade top spellers were Kacie Carter, Nick Neibert, Dane Scheeringa and Abbi Smith. Seventh grade finalists were Ethan Clark, Isabelle Kenney, Adam Molenaar, Armaan Sen, and Hannah Tyssen. The top eighth graders were Moriah Colar, Hayden Gorham, Sophia Oostema, and Janna van Belle. Former spelling champion Moriah emerged as the winner and will be representing Highland Christian School at the Regional Competition on March 10.
1. Join us on Friday, January 17 for Family Trivia Night from 6-8. We’re going to play Bible Jeopardy! RSVP on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org so we have enough snacks for everyone.
2. Are you interested in being on the PTO board next school year? We are looking for about 5 people who want to help fund-raise, put on family events and help keep a healthy relationship between teachers, parents and students. Contact Liz St. George for an application email@example.com or 724-513-4072.
1. Thursday, Jan. 9 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. Beginning in February TRIP orders for physical cards will be only three times a month. The first Thursday of the month will be the TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store and the second Thursday through the end of the month will be the physical card orders for TRIP. Online ordering for Escrip and Reloads is available 24/7! Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
2. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thurs., February 6th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
3. TRIP orders with payment (paper and online) are due Thurs., Jan. 9th by 10 a.m.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Jan. 14; Team B – Jan. 21; Team C – Jan 28; Team D – Feb. 4; Team A – Feb. 18; Team B – Feb. 25; Team C – Mar. 3; Team D – Mar. 17; Team A – Mar. 24