PARENT NOTE – March 25, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
One of the time-honored behavior management strategies of teachers is to “catch kids being good.” For example, the statement “I like the way Billy has his book open ready to read” is designed to let the rest of the class know that they should get their books out ready to read. So in that vein, I hope that my statement “I like the way some parents are now staggering their arrival times at after school pick-up” will encourage others to do the same. We had a couple of great days last week and it needs to continue. One parent told me that parents may not be aware that teachers stay out with the students until 3:25 so if you wait until 3:20, you will be in plenty of time, you will avoid clogging up the driveway and we will show the Town of Highland that we can be cooperative. I appreciate your assistance with this matter. Let’s get this settled before our new principal gets here!
Eighth Grade Students and Parents
There is a very important meeting on Wednesday, April 10 at 7:00 pm. This meeting will be critical for everyone to get on the same page for year-end activities and graduation. Additionally, we will be helping students make their plans for their freshman year. Representatives from Illiana will be here to talk about opportunities specific to their school but also to high school in general.
Parents of students in Grades 3-8:
This year’s state assessment is the ILEARN – it replaces ISTEP. One of the pieces of good news is that ILEARN only has one testing window which goes from April 22 – May 17. It is very important that students be in school for these assessments. Here are the weeks by grade:
April 22 – Grade 4 English and Math
April 29 – Grade 5 English and Math
May 9 – Grades 3, 6, 7 and 8.English and Math
May 13 – Grades 4 and 6 Science and Grade 5 Social Studies.
1. This is the last week of school before spring break. We pray that our families have a safe and restful spring break! School will resume on April 8.
2. Stop in and check out the lost & found table that will be set up beginning tomorrow in the hallway by the office. You just might find some of your child’s items there! All items left over spring break will be given to etc…thrift store.
3. There’s one week left for early enrollment. Early enrollment and payment in full of your August bill by 8/15/19 qualifies you for a credit of $50.
4. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your Easter baking. Don’t wait too long to pick some up – it sells out quickly!
1. Everyone is invited to the junior high production of “Fiddler on the Roof Jr.” this Thursday and Friday, March 28 & 29. Tickets for general admission for each performance can be bought at the door (doors open at 6:30 pm on Thursday and at 6:55 pm on Friday). Tickets are $5.00/adult and $3.00/child (ages 3 through 8th grade). Come see our talented students in HCS’ annual musical!
1. No orders due this week. Next TRIP order due will be on Apr. 11th.
2. Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates will be available for purchase the week of Apr. 8th. Certificates will be $15 each with a 20% bonus rebate.
3. If you would to purchase TRIP Cash & Carry gift cards this week contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com, leave a message on cards you are interested in buying and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you.
TRIP Cash & Carry Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $25, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bass Pro Shops $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Best Buy $25, Bob Evans $10, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, IHOP $10, JCPenney $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TJ Maxx $25, The Children’s Place $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Cascading Gift Card File $3.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Cheryl Filler, Lupe Morales, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP order together on Tues., Mar. 26th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Apr. 16; Team C – Apr. 23; Team D – Apr. 30; Team A – May 7. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is May 16th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
Have a great Spring break!
1. Men of A-Chord will be performing at New Life Christian Reformed Church (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) on Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Please join us for a wonderful evening of worship, music, and fellowship!
2. The New Life Christian Reformed GEMS are hosting an ice-cream social at the church (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) on Friday, April 12, 2019 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Please come join us for some ice-cream with all the toppings! All are welcome. All proceeds from the evening will go directly to our GEMS Girl’s Club.