Almost to the finish life! Celebrate the work of these students as they prepare to move on to the next stage of life.
PARENT NOTE – MAY 16, 2011
“But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.”
I Corinthians 12:31
1. THANK-YOU!!!! Thanks to the many, many hands that worked to make The Pirates of Penzance a
memorable and valuable learning experience for students and an entertaining and thought-provoking
experience for others. There were parents, teachers, grand-parents, 5th grade students, junior high
students, teachers and many others that put efforts into this success. Words alone cannot express the
value of your efforts.
2. From the Principal: If you have concerns or feedback that have not been addressed during the
year, please make an appointment to meet with Ms. Benson during the summer. It is not too early to
begin making these appointments. I am anxious and willing to address any concerns, or to hear
feedback that will help me, or any member at HCS grow!
3. Don’t forget to order your yearbook. There is only a limited amount and they are selling fast!
4. Hot Lunch: There is a feasibility committee group working on a 5 day lunch program. Thank you for
all the input! This will help a lot as we determine if an affordable, functional, healthy, and ‘green’ lunch
is possible to provide at HCS. Thanks again for your feedback.
5. Hot lunch for this Wednesday is chicken nuggets. Capri Sun and water are available for $.50.
6. Parents, please note that Before and After Care will only be open for Before Care (morning) hours from
6:30-8:15 a.m. on June 7. We will not have After Care on June 7, the last day of school.
7. SAVE THE DATE: The HCS Foundation will host a Back-To-School Picnic on August 9, 2011 from 4
– 7 p.m.! Save the date and plan to join us for some good food, fun and fellowship as we prepare for
another year of school!
8. The school is seeking applicants for substitute bus drivers. Please call the school office if
9. Highland Christian School will be holding a History Day Open House to increase participation for
the 2011-2012 school year. Come out to see the HCS projects that advanced all the way to the state
competition in Indianapolis! Students entering grades 4th through 8th and interested in an academic
challenge are eligible. The open house will run from 3:15 to 6:00 PM on Tuesday, May 24th in the
HCS Library. A representative from the Indiana State Historical Society will be available to answer
questions about this program. After the Open House, please stay around to see the We The People
spring showcase, featuring a student group presentation about the founding of our nation and our
Constitution. If you have any questions, please contact Bill Vargo at email@example.com.
1. We would like to thank this year’s outgoing PTO Board for their willingness and dedication to serve
during the last 2 years. Thank you to Barb Vargo, Kathi Fulton, Dawn Pyle, Michelle Cruse, and Donna
Meter. We would also like to welcome new PTO Board Members: Tina Hoeksema, Cindy Kimmel, Anne
Spoelman, and Anna Wineinger.
2. There are only 2 weeks left to turn in your ULTRA receipts. Please send in any ULTRA receipts that you
have collected before May 27th.
3. Please send in Campbells UPCs that you have collected. We will be making our final pick up this Friday,
May 20th. Thank you for your continued support of this program.
4. Thank you to everyone that ordered Sub Sandwiches last week. We have packages of American and
Muenster cheese available for $1 each.
Weekly Prayer Verse:
I Cor. 13:6, “Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.”
1. Band & Choir Uniform turn in days are Wednesday, May 18 and Thursday, May 19 during 8th period.
Please be sure to have all pieces of your uniform turned in, cleaned and on a hanger. Bring them to
band or choir class, do not leave them outside the band or choir room.
2. Rental instrument turn in day will be Wednesday, June 1. Look for information regarding cleaning your
instrument to come home over the next week.
3. There will be no Chambers Choir tomorrow, May 17.
4. Information regarding dress and timing for the Spring Program will be sent home this week with your
K-5 student. Please look for it on Wednesday, May 18.
5. Your children have been hard at work in art class this year, and they are getting ready to take home the
majority of their projects this week. To showcase their hard work, each student in 1st-5th grade will be
picking their two favorite art projects from the school year to be displayed for the May 26 Fine Art
Program. After the musical portion of the program you will be given the opportunity to view all the
elementary students’ work in the gym hall. Be sure to check out their favorite projects from the year,
and thank you for supporting the visual arts at Highland Christian School.
1. Monday, May 16 – Track League Championship Meet at Chicago Christian – 12:30 p.m. start
2. Sports physicals can be obtained through Working Well Healthcare (a division of The Sisters of St.
Francis Healthcare) for $35.00 at any of their five area offices. Information can be found at
www.highlandchristian.org or in the main office.
1. Don’t forget etc… this summer! Plenty of service opportunities will be available, and it would be a great
time to teach your children the value of Christian service… not to mention the value of a dollar well
spent! Call the store at 219-865-5400, or just stop by for a visit!
a. TRIP orders due this week by Thursday, May 19th at 3:15 pm.
b. Congratulations to weekly TRIP $10 Voucher winner Julie Strbiak.
c. Team A (Ali Buder, Diane Krooswyk, Gigi Eriks, Dawn Stammis) will be putting the TRIP order
together on Tues., May 17th. Orders will be ready for pickup at 2:45 pm.
d. Voucher News: Set Free Salon & Spa, 752 E. Lincoln Highway in Schererville, has been added to the
TRIP voucher program. Ten percent will be given back on all salon services and products. Call Renee
at 864-4117 for more information.
e. New Items: Cabela’s increased to 12%; Staples – When you buy a $25 gift card it will be worth
$26.50; Applebee’s increased to 9%; Bass Pro Shops increased to 13%.
f. TRIP Teams : Team B-May 24; Team C-May 31; Team D-June 7; Team A-June 14; Team B-June 21;
Team C-June 28; Team D-Aug. 9
The Parent Note is also available online at www.highlandchristian.org
Monday, February 6, 2012
We need your help again!
We are asking the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students and parents to help with our chili supper. Parents/students will be assigned specific tables to watch over and as families leave they’ll clear and reset the tables, refill
condiments and beverages.
Please consider volunteering to help make this fundraiser a success. Contact us