PARENT NOTE – September 5, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Next week we will begin our Fall session of MAP testing. While assessment formerly was strictly to assess what had been learned, assessment is increasingly being seen as a vehicle to enhance learning. That is what your child’s MAP test will do. If your child finds the test challenging, that is due to the design of the test. If your child answers a question correctly, the next question is more challenging. If they answer incorrectly, the next one is easier. This results in a detailed picture of what your child knows and is ready to learn whether it is on, above, or below their grade level. Unlike state tests, this information will come back sooner and be available to you by the end of this month.
We are truly excited to focus on your child’s individual growth and achievement. If you would like more information about the MAP Growth test, visit: NWEA.org/Parent-Toolkit.
1. Important Reminder: This Wednesday, September 6 is the first of our Late Starts for this year. These Late Starts are for Professional Growth for the faculty. School will begin at 10:00 am on these days and doors will open at 9:40 a.m. Before and After Care is available at the usual 6:30 a.m. start time. Bus riders will be picked up 1 ½ hours later than their normal time since school will be starting 1 ½ hours later.
2. Advanced Notice: Monday & Tuesday, Sept. 18 & 19, Interstate Studio will be at HCS to take pictures of our students – kindergarten will have their pictures taken on Monday and 1st – 8th pictures will be taken on Tuesday. More information and order forms will be sent home with the students next week.
3. Information on our Apple Slice Fundraiser is being sent home this week – watch for the volunteer sign-up and order form!
4. HCS is in need of substitute and athletic event bus drivers. With people working longer these days, fewer people are signing on to this opportunity. If you would like to be involved with HCS this way, please contact the school office at 838-0356.
5. SGO Tax Credit Scholarship Applications will begin soon. You can find more information about these scholarships at the Indiana Department of Education website here: http://www.doe.in.gov/choice/school-scholarships. HCS awards this one time, per student scholarship of $500 towards your annual tuition bill. This scholarship provides the necessary pathway to apply for the Indiana Choice Voucher, which covers a larger portion of your tuition bill, in the following school year. The income guidelines are posted here: http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/choice/10-17-18-income-guidelines-july-2017.pdf.
6. If you have not already been awarded a Choice Voucher using another pathway, please check the income limits in the third column of the above table labeled “150% of Reduced Lunch Eligibility”. If you believe your household income falls within these limits, please contact Lisa Long at 219-838-0356 x 168 begin the application process. SGO Scholarships are funded by donations and your prompt response will help to plan effectively how many scholarships will be needed.
1. The PTO Coupon Card Sale is going great! Keep the orders coming! Order forms can be turned in as many times as needed until September 11. Additional forms are available in the office.
2. Muffins for Misses will be September 27 from 7:55-8:25 a.m. Come and enjoy some fellowship!
1. Dollars & Dillys – Big Contest at etc!! Attention all kdg.-8th graders! etc…a resale marketplace is holding a sort night contest for all kdg.-8th grade classrooms. The classroom who has the most adult participation at their scheduled sort night, wins an ice-cream party and a $10.00 etc voucher for each child in their classroom. Listed below are the sort nights from 6:30-8:00:
• Tuesday, Sept. 12 8th grade / Kindergarten
• Thursday, Sept. 28 7th grade
• Tuesday, Oct. 10 6th grade
• Thursday, Oct. 26 5th grade
• Thursday, Nov. 16 4th grade
• Thursday, Jan. 18 3rd grade
• Tuesday, Feb. 13 2nd grade
• Thursday, March 15 1st grade
All 6th through 8th grade students are allowed to join their parents for sort night.
1. Tuesday, Sept. 5 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:15 start
A&B soccer vs. Calvin at Paarlberg Park – 4:00 start
Monday, Sept. 11 – Cross Country Meet at North Creek Meadow Forest Preserve – 4:00 start
1. Great news! Strack & Van Til Grocery gift cards are available for purchase again beginning with this Thursday’s TRIP order. Denominations come in $25, $50 and $100 with a 5% bonus rebate.
2. Did you know that the shopwithscrip.com website offers special higher bonus rebates periodically? These extra bonuses are only available to those that are registered with the shopwithscrip.com program. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information about the TRIP program and the online ordering process.
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment this Thursday Sept. 7th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 9/5): Jewel – 4%.
5. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 9/11): Boston Market, Chili’s, and PetSmart.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Sept. 12; Team C – Sept. 19; Team D – Sept. 26; Team A – Oct. 3
1. MUNSTER CHURCH GEMS GIRLS CLUB~ warmly invites your daughter and friends 1st grade – 8th grade to our activities. Meetings are Wednesdays 6:30-8:30pm (Sept-April). In His Steps will be the theme this year ~ join us for praise, crafts, badges, outings, service project, new friends and learning more about Jesus! Our Opening Night, September 13, will be a pool party. For more information, please call Katie Wiltjer 708-829-6508 or Deb VanKalker at 219-682-5333.
2. The New Life CRC Cadet Club (next door to school) invites the parents and their boys 2nd thru 8th grade to join us in the basement of New Life CRC this Wednesday at 7pm for some delicious ice cream and to talk about our club. For those of you not familiar with Cadets, we are kind of like the boy scouts, where we work on crafts, go on camp outs, build pine wood derby cars and race them, but most importantly, have bible lesson time, and try to understand God’s love for us. We meet from 6:30-8:30pm on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, Sept – April. We would love to have you join us! For more information, please call or text Jamie Kostelyk at (219) 545-9788, or email email@example.com. More information can be found on our Facebook page: Cadets at New Life CRC.