- This Friday, Oct. 21 is Grandparents’ Day at Highland Christian! All grandparents are welcome! If your child’s grandparents cannot attend, please have a “special friend” (aunt, uncle, neighbor, or even mom or dad) come in their place. Please remember that your child’s teacher and the office must be notified if they will be leaving with a grandparent.
- Grandparent’s Day: This year, students will not need a lunch on Grandparent’s Day. Bus students will be released at 12:00 and others at 12:15, there will be no lunch period at school.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 10 from 2:00-4:30 and again from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Specific times are being scheduled for grades K-5. Please fill out the form on the bottom of this Parent Note to let us know if you need a time slot before the supper break or after the supper break. If we do not receive a form back from you we will assume that any time is okay. If you only have a junior high student, you do not have to fill out this form. You may go to their classrooms any time on Nov. 10 between 2:00-4:30 or 5:30-8:30 p.m. If you cannot make a Thursday conference, please contact your child’s teacher to schedule one on a different day. Please return this form by next Monday, Oct. 24.
- Homemade vanilla will be for sale in the office beginning tomorrow.
- In 2006, HCS received its first accreditation from Christian School International (CSI) and the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. As part of the accreditation process, board, staff and administrators must constantly evaluate and improve every aspect of educating students. This year, HCS committees and staff will do a second evaluation to compare ourselves to a list of ideal standards, set goals and make school improvement plans. This process is designed to help us sharpen practice and focus even more intentionally on achievement of our mission to See, Sense and Serve.
- As part of the evaluative process, the Board is asking parents and supporters to share their impressions of our school by filling out a self-study questionnaire. This questionnaire will be released in October. After the results of our evaluation are compiled, in March 2012, a CSI site visit team will come to HCS to approve our School Improvement Plan and Goals. The process is designed to assist us in defining the mission of Highland Christian School in terms of specific and measurable student learning as well as growth in student faith development. We are grateful for your support in this critical process and we request your prayers for God’s leading as we formulate our plans and goals.
Tiebel’s Restaurant in Schererville, IN will be sponsoring HCS in a Family Night Fundraiser on Monday, Oct. 24 through Wednesday, Oct. 26. Mention your participation in the fundraiser and Tiebel’s will donate 10% of your meal proceeds to HCS.
- GP Day performances (Friday and Monday) all K-5 students should wear something nice: no jeans, sweatshirts, or T-shirts.
- Band practice forms are due to Miss Boekeloo by 3:15 Mon., Oct. 21.
- Grandparents’ Day Program Parent Performance is Monday, Oct. 24 at 6:30. Students should be appropriately dressed for public performance: no jeans or athletic wear, and meet in their classrooms by 6:15.
- The Art Department needs old newspapers for an art project. You may drop them off in the office or down by the art room.
Monday, Oct. 17
– A&B soccer vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00 p.m.
– 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 20
– Soccer Tournament at HCS – 4:00 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 21
-8th Grade Illiana Volleyball Tournament – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 22
-7th Grade Illiana Volleyball Tournament – 9:00 a.m.
-Soccer Tournament at Paarlburg Park – 9:00 a.m. Visit Culver’s in Lansing or Merrillville on Saturday and a percentage of the sales will go to HCS. A flyer will be sent home with the students in the next few days – all you need to do is bring it to Culver’s and HCS will benefit!
If you didn’t hear, ETC Resale is more than a place to shop! We are an outreach ministry too! We have donated to the Dyer Nursing Home for their Bingo prizes and donated yarn to Faith Church. We donate books to Reading Tree, an organization which gives books to lower income communities for schools and libraries. Your donations help ETC as well as other organizations. We thank you for all of your donations. Stop by the store and check us out! Volunteer and receive a special discount!
- New TRIP Order Deadline beginning this week! This Thurs., Oct. 20th TRIP orders will be due by 10:00 a.m. in the TRIP office. Please make a note of this change.
- Congratulations to weekly TRIP $10 Voucher winner Staci Sytsma.
- Team B (Dawn Pyle, Julie De Young, Kathi Fulton, Barb Vargo) will be putting the TRIP order together Tuesday, Oct. 18th. Orders will be ready for pick up at 2:45 pm Tuesday.
- New Items: Long John Silver’s is discontinued; Panera Bread increased to 9%.
- TRIP Teams : Team C-Oct. 25; Team D-Nov. 1; Team A-Nov. 8; Team B-Nov. 15.
NOVEMBER 10 PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE SIGN UP SHEET (only for grades K-5)
Please indicate whether you need a 2:00-4:30 p.m. or 5:30-8:30 p.m. time slot. We will try to honor your request if at all possible. If you do not return this form, we will assume that any time is okay.
_______ Please schedule my child from 2:00-4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 10.
_______ Please schedule my child from 5:30-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 10.
_______ I cannot attend on Thursday and will schedule a conference with my child’s teacher on my own.
Student’s Name ______________________________________________________________
Student’s Grade and Teacher ____________________________________________________
Please return this form by next Monday, Oct. 24.
If you only have a junior high child, you do not have to fill out this form.