PARENT NOTE – May 2, 2022
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Later tonight, we have the incredible blessing to gather together, as one community, to review and celebrate God’s blessings over Highland Christian School. As we look back on the 2021-2022 school year, God’s fingerprints are evident at every turn. From the challenges we faced throughout the COVID-19 pandemic to the blessings of increased enrollment due to the strong faith and academic outcomes, this year will not be forgotten anytime soon.
Tonight’s Society Agenda (7pm – 8pm)
• Devotions, Board President – John Stammis
• Worship: 4th/5th Grade Students
• Vote on Board Nominees (Shawn Evers, Jenn Neibert, Karen Sherwood)
• State of the School
• Vote on 22/23 Budget
• Vote on Building Expansion Project
We are looking forward to seeing all of our Society Members (parents, grandparents, donors, etc) tonight! *The Society includes anyone who has given towards any HCS fund (including tuition) in the past year and are in agreement with HCS’ Foundational Beliefs.
God has blessed us richly!
1. Reminder: This Wednesday, May 4 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00.
2. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting is this evening, May 2 at 7:00 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the approval of three school board members: Shawn Evers, Jennifer Neibert, and Karen Sherwood, and the approval of the 2022/2023 Budget and the Expansion Plan. The Society Meeting Agenda is available at www.highlandchristian.org and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots are available in the school office.
3. Highland Christian is looking for adults who would be willing to roll the coins that are being sent in for the Foundation’s Change for the Future Campaign. If you are able to help, please contact the office.
4. THANK YOU! The 7th and 8th grade students want to thank you for all of your support this year with snack day. It has been a huge success and we plan to continue this year through May 11 for K-2nd grade and will end the year on May 16 for grades 3-8. Each student planning on attending the Philadelphia trip received approximately $200 toward their cost! Current 7th grade took over the sale in March, and they will see the first credit toward their trip in June. We hope to start again in September and continue raising money so the trip can be affordable for all. Again, thank you for all of your support.
1. This year the Jr High Drama Department is proud to present, “High School Musical Jr” this Thursday and Friday, May 5th and 6th. Thursday and Friday performances are at 7pm, tickets for general admission for Thursday’s show go on sale at 6:30pm when the doors open. Friday night general admission tickets are on sale when the doors open at 6:45 on the evening of the performance. Join our students as they spend a week navigating the choice of following the status quo or following their own dreams.
INDIANA CHOICE SCHOLARSHIP NEWS
1. Indiana School CHOICE Scholarship applications for the 2022/2023 school year begin soon. We are currently awaiting approval from the IN Department of Education to accept CHOICE Scholarship applications. Please watch announcements here for an update.
If you have previously received a CHOICE Scholarship, you MUST apply each year with current financial information and proof of address. If you have never received a CHOICE Scholarship and would like to apply, you must meet with Lisa Long, our CHOICE Scholarship Administrator to provide proof of income and address and complete the application. Please see details about the program at: https://www.in.gov/doe/students/indiana-choice-scholarship-program/
If you have any questions about eligibility or qualifying for a School CHOICE Scholarship, please contact Lisa Long at (219)838-0356 ext. 168 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. This week is Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6). There was a flyer that went home with students last week with ways we can show extra gratitude to our teachers during this special week.
2. Monday – Bring them a flower, Tuesday – Bring them their favorite treat, Wednesday – Bring them their favorite drink, Thursday – Share the love with our specialty teachers, Friday – Bring in a school supply for the classroom.
2. This Friday, May 6th, is Lunch Lady Appreciation Day! Please join us in showing appreciation to the wonderful ladies that provide our kids with lunch everyday – Amy Jellema, Anne Spoelman, and Donna Meter! We hope you will take a moment to drop them a note and let them know they are appreciated!
3. Save the Date: Donuts for Dudes will take place on Wednesday, May 11th. This event is where students bring their favorite dudes before school to enjoy a donut. Be on the lookout for a flyer coming home soon.
1. The Art Department is in need of paper shopping bags with handles to send home the projects from this year. Thank you for your help with this!
1. Wednesday, May 4 – Track Meet at Chicago Christian High School – 12:30 start
1. **No TRIP orders due this week!** The TRIP program will be accepting physical gift card orders on May 12, 19, 26, June 2 and 9.
2. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Jamie Vander Meyden, Janell Eriks) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 3rd. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
3. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – May 17; Team A – May 24; Team B – May 31; Team C – June 7
1. National Day of Prayer is this Thursday, May 5th. Suburban Bible Church (3010 41st street Highland) will be hosting an open house prayer time for the whole community from 11am – 2pm. We will be in person, in our prayer room. Enter the church through the front doors (north side) and turn immediately to the Left to join us.
2. Illiana Christian Jr. High Girls’ Summer Golf Camp – Girls’ entering 6th, 7th, and 8th next school year are invited to participate. This camp will be led by the IC girls’ golf coaches and will focus on the fundamental skills of the game of golf. Putting, range works with different clubs, chipping, and course play. Camp will be held at Palmira Golf Course, Illiana’s home course, on Mondays from 1-3pm starting Monday, June 6th and ending Monday, July 25th. The camp fee is $175, which includes a camp t-shirt. To register, please email Coach Suzanne Jonkman email@example.com
3. Illiana Christian HS Girls’ Golf Team Summer Conditioning – Open to 8th girls enrolled at Illiana Christian and interested in trying out for the golf team. Our summer conditioning schedule includes Mondays at 3:30 pm golfing as many holes till dusk on our home course at Palmira AND golf lessons with an amazing golf pro at Briar Ridge for a couple of afternoon hours. The day of the week for golf lessons may vary, due to the golf pro’s tournament schedule. Summer conditioning begins the week of June 6th and will run through the end of July, close to 8 weeks. Cost: Free To register, please email Coach Suzanne Jonkman firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Is your son or daughter interested in playing on a summer volleyball local team? Beginners and more experienced players are both welcome. Includes 1 practice and 1 game each week starting mid-June. If so, check out www.illianajuniors.org to get more info or email Jackie at email@example.com
5. Information on the Soccer Shots Camp that is being held at HCS is available in the office. These camps are for ages 3-5 years and 5-8 years.
6. Faith Highland is hosting Comedy Magician, Dewayne Hill, on Saturday, May 7th at 6:00 pm! This will be a fun, family night out – doors open at 5:30pm; the event starts at 6:00 pm! Tickets are $5.00. Visit https://wearefaith.org/event/comedy-night/ for more information. We hope to see you there!