PARENT NOTE – January 18, 2022
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Yesterday, our community honored Martin Luther King Jr. Day – a day that celebrates America’s movement towards equality for all citizens. As you discussed the importance of this day within your homes, I find it such a blessing that our school community comes together to celebrate the unity that we share through the body of Christ.
In considering our mission statement – “In order to honor God, we nurture and guide students to SEE the Father’s Creation, SENSE order in a world saved by Christ, and SERVE God through the leading of the Holy Spirit”, it is imperative conversations transpire about how we are beautifully-made, in God’s image, to do the work He has called us to.
Have a great week!
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2022/2023 preschool registrations for new students. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab. If your child is a current SEC student and re-enrolling for next year, check OnCampus for your class preference form. Once you have completed this, we will issue your child’s enrollment contract.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2022/2023 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 9. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Looking for Coaches! The Girls on the Run Spring Season begins March 7, 2022 for girls in grades 3-5. Practices will be on Mondays and Wednesdays. The 5k is May 14. If you’re interested in assisting with coaching, please contact Amber Powell at 219-808-3138.
1. The Lake County Public Library Read-a-Thon began January 10 and is an opportunity for students from preschool to 8th grade. This program raises money for the public library and for our own school library. If participating, your child will ask friends and family to sponsor them for every book they read. Information was sent home with the students who wanted to participate. If you would like your child to participate, please ask them to get a white envelope from Mrs. Zandstra in the library. You may also phone Mrs. Zandstra with any questions. The Read-a-Thon is January 10-February 21.
1. The restaurant fundraiser night is this Thursday, January 20th with Panda Express! This event will be slightly different than previous events, as you will need to place your order online at pandaexpress.com and use coupon code 906248 in order for the credit to go towards Highland Christian. The coupon code is only good for orders placed on January 20th. This is a nationwide event, meaning you can go to any Panda Express in any state (a great opportunity for friends and family out of town that may want to help support Highland Christian). Also, note that Panda Express is also part of the T.R.I.P. program and you can pay for your order with gift cards.
2. For the students that won Bulls tickets from candy bar sales, parents please check your emails for more information regarding this. If you have any questions, please contact Rose Galvan at email@example.com
1. Tuesday, Jan. 18 – 6th & 8th girls vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
Thursday, Jan. 20 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. Dairy Queen $10 gift cards are available again for a physical card purchase.
2. TRIP Cash & Carry gift cards available to purchase: ACE Hardware $25, AMC Movie $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Bass Pro Shops $25; Beggars Pizza $20, Burger King $10, Cabela’s $25; Carter’s/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle Mex. Gr. $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25, Domino’s $10, Family Express $25, Gordon’s (GFS) $25, Hohman Floral $10, Jo-Ann’s $25; Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Panda Express $25, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Gr. $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10. Contact the TRIP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 and leave a message to purchase these cards.
3. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., Jan. 20th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 1/17/22): TGI Fridays – 13%.
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Missy Buikema, Jessica Hiskes, Larissa Vander Pol) will be putting the TRIP orders together today. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office today by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Jan. 25; Team C – Feb. 1; Team D – Feb. 15; Team A – Wed. Feb. 23
1. Plan now to join us on Tuesday, March 1 for Preview Illiana! Preview Illiana is an opportunity for prospective students and their families to experience Illiana. Meet with faculty and administration, tour our campus, and have all your questions answered. You’ll be able to hear from our Head of School and Principal, meet teachers and students, attend informative sessions about Illiana’s curriculum and learning opportunities in music, art, STEM, and core subjects, learn how Illiana builds college- and career-readiness, and experience Illiana’s mission to develop a passion for God, people, and the world. All middle school students and prospective high school transfer students will receive a free Illiana t-shirt! Register Here