PARENT NOTE – January 10, 2022
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Over the next three weeks, students have the great opportunity to showcase the knowledge they have learned through the Winter MAPS assessments. These rich assessments provide teachers with critical data about how they can best support and enrich the academic needs of each child in their classroom! Furthermore, using this data completely aligns with our robust PLC Model!
As you speak to your child(ren) about taking these tests, please reinforce the importance of taking your time and putting your best foot forward. With these results, teams of teachers will individually analyze data and create interventions at school, recommend support outside of school, extend learning, and differentiate instruction within each grade level. As a school, we maintain the goal of seeing 70% of our students perform at the 70th percentile (70@70). This directly ties to our vision statement to academically equip, biblically ground, and spiritually nurture all students at HCS. Again, thank you for your partnership as we support each and every child with love, care, and the belief that they can learn about God and His world at high levels!
1. Looking for a Christian preschool or kindergarten experience? Your child will blossom at Highland Christian School! We invite you to join us for our PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSE tonight, January 10 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Learn more about the curriculum, classroom practices, and learning communities at Highland Christian School (PreK-Gr8). Please RSVP online at www.highlandchristian.org or by calling the office at 219-838-0356.
2. Reminder: There is no school next Monday, Jan. 17 in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
3. Math Pentathlon: Saturday’s Math Pentathlon Tournament had a great turnout and was a lot of fun. Thank you to all the parents who supported their students throughout the math season and the day of the tournament. Thank you to the fourth grade students who helped during the season and were judges on Saturday, Aiden Brouwer, Noah Brouwer, Reese Brouwer, Aiden Bailey, Claire Best, Maliyah Peterson, Leo Smit and Collin Kramer. Congratulations to the winners of each game; Emma Jabaay (Par 55), Nico Jacobs (Kwatro-Sinko), Whitney VanRosendale (Sum Dice & Dominoes), Shayley Summers (Ramrod) and Maria Blauw (FIAR). Lastly, thanks to all the students who participated throughout the season and tried their best on Saturday, you are all wonderful!
1. This week 3 students were inducted into the HCS Readers’ Century Club! Evie Van Baren, Carina Miller, and John Warga all read 100 books since August. We are proud of all the reading these students did to achieve this goal.
2. The Lake County Public Library Read-a-Thon is beginning January 10. This is to raise money for the public library and for our own school. If participating, your child will ask friends and family to sponsor them for every book they read. Information will be sent home with the students who want to participate. The Read-a-Thon is January 10-February 21.
1. Save the Date: We will be having a restaurant fundraiser night on Thursday, January 20th with Panda Express! This event will be slightly different than previous events, as you will need to place your order online at pandaexpress.com and use coupon code 906248 in order for the credit to go towards Highland Christian. The coupon code is only good for orders placed on January 20th. This is a nationwide event, meaning you can go to any Panda Express in any state (a great opportunity for friends and family out of town that may want to help support Highland Christian). Also, note that Panda Express is also part of the T.R.I.P. program and you can pay for your order with gift cards.
2. To the students that won Bulls tickets from candy bar sales, there will be more information coming soon regarding the game on February 26th!
1. Thursday, Jan. 13 – 8th girls basketball vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:00\
Tuesday, Jan. 18 – 6th & 8th girls basketball vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
1. Dairy Queen $10 gift cards are available again for a physical card purchase.
2. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., Jan. 13th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 1/10/22): Red Robin – 10%; Staples – 7%; AutoZone – 9%.
4. Team D (Shelly Witham, Shavonne Dennie, Becca Trepton, Mary Brinks) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Jan. 11th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Cash & Carry gift cards available to purchase: ACE Hardware $25, AMC Movie $25, Arby’s $10,
Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Bass Pro Shops $25; Beggars Pizza $20, Burger King $10, Cabela’s $25; Carter’s/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle Mex. Gr. $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25, Domino’s $10, Family Express $25, Gordon’s (GFS) $25, Hohman Floral $10, Jo-Ann’s $25; Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Panda Express $25, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Gr. $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10. Contact the TRIP office at email@example.com or call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 and leave a message to purchase these cards.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Jan. 11; Team A – Jan. 18; Team B – Jan. 25; Team C – Feb. 1
1. Toddler Gym Time: For moms and littles. Tuesdays, Jan 11th, 18th, 25th and Feb 1, from 10-11:30 am. Join moms and toddlers for open gym time. Free, masking optional. Suburban Bible Church, 3010 41st Street, Highland, use door B. Call/Text Ashley Cook with questions 859-619-2596.