PARENT NOTE – November 22, 2021
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
You may already know this, but Highland Christian is blessed by the best parents out there. From notes of appreciation sent to teachers, to helping students at home with math homework, to rearranging schedules to allow their child to participate in opportunities like after school tutoring, athletics and extracurriculars, and placing Christian education in a prominent place within their family’s financial priorities, the impact the parents of our students make is a continual blessing to Highland Christian. Though you may sometimes feel that you are taking one step forward and two steps back, your daily efforts are making a significant difference in the lives of your children, the school, and, ultimately, the Kingdom.
So, thank you, parents. You are the everyday heroes that ensure kids have lunches, a shoulder to cry on, a place to ask questions, and a safe space to grow and have deep conversations about their faith. We are who we are because of so many of you. Thank you!
1. Thanksgiving Break: School will dismiss at 1:45 this Wednesday and will resume next Monday. Aftercare will be provided this Wednesday. We pray that our HCS families have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!
2. We are still accepting food and toiletries this Monday and Tuesday for Roseland Christian Ministries. Please help us bless others with these gifts.
3. Everyone is invited to our Thanksgiving Chapel this Wednesday, Nov. 24 at 8:40 a.m.
4. Late Start Reminder: Next Wednesday, Dec. 1 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00.
5. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your holiday baking. 8oz. bottle for $2.00. Don’t wait too long – they sell out fast!
6. Every Thursday is snack day at HCS. Snacks and drinks are available for $1 on Thursdays at lunch time. The proceeds of snack day go toward our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia in May. If anyone would like to donate any single serving snacks (no peanuts please) or a case of 12 oz. pop or Gatorade, feel free to bring these items to school. Specifically, we sell Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Orange Crush, Sierra Mist, or any Root Beer. Gatorade products include Glacier Ice (blue) or Ice Punch (clear). We are trying to keep prices at $1 but with rising prices everywhere, we may need to raise the price. Donations will keep our prices down. Thank you everyone for supporting our 8th grade!
7. HCS is looking for someone who would be willing to donate their time and talent for taking care of the flowers around the flagpole. If you are able to help, please contact the office.
1. There are three new members to the Reader’s Century Club. Shelby Scheeringa, Miriam Cristoffels and Julia Figueroa have each read 100 books or 5,000 pages. Way to go Huskie Readers! There is still plenty of time to read 100 books and join this great reading club!
2. 4th Grade Ecosystems: 4th grade’s ecosystems are on display in the library. Come in for a look at some fantastic work by our students.
1. We hope you are enjoying making your turkeys with a family game night of Roll a Turkey! Remember to submit pictures of your turkeys by this Wednesday the 24th to be eligible for prizes!
2. If you are looking for Christmas gift ideas, consider HSC Spirit Wear! Orders must be placed by December 3rd, so that they are ready before Christmas. The link for Spirit Wear is http://www.highlandchristiangear.com/
1. Monday, Nov. 22 – 6th, 7th, 8th basketball vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Monday, Nov. 29 – 6th, 7th, 8th basketball vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. Big Lots! has been added to the TRIP order form. Gift cards come in denominations of $25 or $100 at a 3% bonus rebate.
2. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Wed., Nov. 24th by 10 a.m.
3. Team D (Shelly Witham, Mary Brinks, Shavonne Dennie, Becca Trepton) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 23rd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Nov. 30; Team B – Dec. 7; Team C – Dec. 14; Team D – Jan. 11
1. Fellowship Church in Highland has employment opportunities (full and part-time positions) in their growing preschool ministry. They are looking for quality staff who would like to work with children (ages 6 weeks to 4-year-olds) in a Christ-centered atmosphere. They are open Monday through Friday. No prior experience or education is necessary and starting pay is $10.25. You may contact Director Jessica Gluth at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or by phone at 219-923-6849.
2. Happy Birthday Jesus Outdoor Live Nativity – Saturday, Dec. 4 from 4:30-7:30 p.m. at the Wicker Park Clubhouse Parking Lot, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian. There will be crafts, games, hot chocolate, cookies, music and fun! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, please bring a gift in the form of hygiene items (bar soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes) to be donated to the Beacon Light Church Care Pantry. If you have any questions, please contact Tya Koutz at 219-730-8931.
3. Information on the Highland Little League 2022 Spring Season is available in the HCS office.