PARENT NOTE – October 11, 2021
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
The past few days have brought a flurry of exciting events and happenings with the school community, staff, and students.
Community: What a blessing it was to have hundreds of grandparents at school on Friday. As one grandparent entered, he shared that the line of excited grandparents made it to Lincoln Street! That’s certainly a lot of grandparents that love their grandkids! Overall, Grandparents’ Day was a great success – focused on praising the Lord and celebrating the special role grandparents play in the spiritual development of their grandchildren.
Staff: This weekend, a number of community members ran the Chicago Marathon – in partnership with World Vision. One of these runners was HCS’ own, Mrs. Powell. Our students look to you as a beautiful example of what it means to be the hands and feet of Christ.
Students: After a thrilling soccer game against Calvin last week, our fall sports teams concluded a terrific season with tournaments happening in both Indiana and Illinois. In all of these games and matches, students lived into this year’s theme: “Just Live It”.
As we conclude the first quarter this Friday, I want to thank all students, staff, parents, and community members for a great start to the school year! Each of you makes Highland Christian a better place to learn about God’s world and His Word!
1. Parent/Teacher Conferences – Nov. 3&4: This year, we are again using Schoolbookings.net to let parents sign-up for the conference slot they would prefer. Like last year, 3rd-8th grade conferences will be student led. Pre-K – 2nd grade conferences will just be with the parents. You may sign up for conferences at https://www.schoolbookings.net/. Our school code is 34qm4.
Open this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gsbLlbFUO4MTMfI97KT_FiR_hI5b1FzI/view?usp=sharing to watch a short tutorial of how to sign up for a conference slot and be directed to the website. This process is very straightforward and will help simplify this process for the office and give more options to families.
2. Thursdays are snack days at HCS for all students K-8! The 8th grade class is selling snacks to reduce costs for their 8th grade trip to Philadelphia this year. All snacks sell for $1.00.
3. Important Reminder: Next Wed., Oct. 20 is a 1:45 dismissal and there is no school, Thursday and Friday, Oct. 21 & 22.
4. Homemade vanilla is available in the office for all your baking needs. Don’t wait too long to get yours – they sell out fast!
HCS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
1. After-school math tutors needed. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Kyle Weener.
1. Our first restaurant fundraiser of the school year is this Thursday, October 14th with Buona Beef! 20% of sales will go towards PTO. Be on the lookout for an information flyer coming home with your student today.
2. Last year for Teacher Appreciation Week, PTO collected “Favorite Things” surveys from our HCS staff. We’ve decided to keep this information up-to-date and have this posted for all of you to use. When you log in to OnCampus, find our PTO page under Resources and click on that. Scroll past the volunteer info to the bottom of our page where you will find all the different staff categories. This is a great resource to get to know your child’s teacher and all of the staff who make HCS possible. Throughout the year you can use these “Favorites” to bless them in different ways. We hope you find this useful!
3. HCS Spirit Wear is here! If you are interested in purchasing HCS Spirit Wear, we have made it easy for you to get! Just go to www.HighlandChristianGear.com to order your spirit wear today. There is a wide variety of Clothing, Hats, Bags, Blankets and more! You will also have the option to have your items delivered to school for your student to take home, or shipped to your house.
1. 6th grade parents and students! Tonight is your sort night! See you at the store from 5-7 pm!
1. The Illiana Championship Cross Country Meet that was scheduled today has been changed to tomorrow, Oct. 12. Girls begin at 4:30; boys begin at 4:50.
1. The week of October 18th TRIP orders will be due on **Wednesday, Oct. 20th**
2. Effective Immediately: Beggar’s Pizza gift cards have changed from a $10 denomination to a $20 denomination.
3. Shopwithscrip.com Bonus Fest is happening again this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This is for everyone enrolled in our online program. Not signed up for online ordering? Call the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email TRIP at email@example.com
4. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., Oct. 14th by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/11/21): Jewel – 4%; Bath & Body Works – 16%; Domino’s – 11%; TGI Fridays – 13%.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Jamie Paul, Olivia Ridder) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Oct. 12th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Oct. 19; Team D – Oct. 26; Team A – Nov. 2; Team B – Nov. 9