PARENT NOTE – October 4, 2021
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Welcome to October! Although it may still feel a bit like summer, we are already entering into the third month of the 21-22 school year. This month, there are a number of community events that are happening at HCS. Two of these events are Grandparents’ Day (this week!) and Pastors’ Chapel (at the end of the month). When considering the three-legged stool, the home and church are pivotal supports that work in tandem with a child’s education. It is with great excitement that we have the opportunity to welcome such cherished members of the HCS family to our campus. As parents, you can look forward to seeing continued communication coming home about these exciting events. God has blessed us in so many ways. Faithful He’s been, faithful He’ll be.
1. Reminder: This Wednesday, Oct. 6 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00.
2. This Friday, Oct. 8 is Grandparents’ Day at HCS! If your child’s grandparents did not receive an invitation, please extend one to them. Please make sure the grandparents know who their grandchildren’s teachers are. Gym doors open at 11:00.
3. Important Parent Information for Grandparents’ Day:
• There is a 1:45 dismissal on that day. If you are picking up your child via the pick-up line, please arrive after 1:45. This allows for grandparents to leave safely.
• If your child is going home with a grandparent, please notify the teacher and bus driver by Thursday. Oct. 7.
• K-5 students should wear dress clothes.
• There is no hot lunch on this day – students should bring their lunch from home.
• There will be aftercare on this day.
4. The Grandparents’ Day Program will be streamed on Facebook Live.
5. Thursdays are snack days at HCS for all students K-8! The 8th grade class is selling snacks to reduce costs for their 8th grade trip to Philadelphia this year. All snacks sell for $1.00.
6. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all your baking needs. Vanilla is $2.00 for an 8 oz. bottle.
7. Calendar Update: Wednesday, Oct. 20 is a 1:45 dismissal.
HCS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
1. After-school math tutors needed. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Kyle Weener.
1. Save the Date: We will be having our first restaurant fundraiser of the school year coming up on Thursday, October 14th with Buona Beef! More information will be coming soon.
2. Last year for Teacher Appreciation Week, PTO collected “Favorite Things” surveys from our HCS staff. We’ve decided to keep this information up-to-date and have this posted for all of you to use. When you log in to OnCampus, find our PTO tile and click on that. Scroll past the volunteer info to the bottom of our page where you will find all the different staff categories. This is a great resource to get to know your child’s teacher and all of the staff who make HCS possible. Throughout the year you can use these “Favorites” to bless them in different ways. We hope you find this useful!
3. HCS Spirit Wear is here! If you are interested in purchasing HCS Spirit Wear, we have made it easy for you to get! Just go to www.HighlandChristianGear.com to order your spirit wear today. There is a wide variety of Clothing, Hats, Bags, Blankets and more! You will also have the option to have your items delivered to school for your student to take home, or shipped to your house.
1. Monday, Oct. 4 – Cross Country Meet at Crown Point – 4:00 start
Thursday, Oct. 7 – A Soccer Tournament vs. Calvin at HOME – 4:15
8th Volleyball Tournament vs. Calvary at HOME – 4:15
Friday, Oct. 8 – 8th Volleyball Tournament – semi-finals at Chicago Christian – time TBD
Saturday, Oct. 9 – A Soccer Tournament – semi-finals at Covenant – 9:00 a.m.
7th Volleyball Tournament at Crown Point Christian – 9:00 a.m.
Monday, Oct. 11 – Illiana Championship Cross Country Meet – 4:00 start
1. Effective Immediately: Beggar’s Pizza gift cards have changed from a $10 denomination to a $20 denomination.
2. Shopwithscrip.com Bonus Fest starts this Friday Oct. 8th for four weekends. This is for everyone enrolled in our online program. Not signed up for online ordering? Call the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email TRIP at email@example.com
3. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., Oct. 7th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/4/21): Bath & Body Works – 16%; Domino’s – 11%; Hallmark – 5%; TGI Fridays – 13%; Buca di Beppo – 10%
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Missy Buikema, Larissa Vander Pol, Jessica Hiskes) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Oct. 5th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Oct. 12; Team C – Oct. 19; Team D – Oct. 26; Team A – Nov. 2
1. Introducing Fridays at Illiana! What are Fridays at Illiana? Prospective students are paired up with an Illiana student-host. This student will greet them and be their “buddy” throughout the day. The prospective student will attend classes, meet teachers and students, have lunch (on us!) and go to a Chapel or a club meeting. Fridays at Illiana are a great way to see what our school is all about. Visits will include a full school day at Illiana from 7:40 am to 2:50 pm. Prospective students will get to see up close what the daily life of an Illiana student looks like. Be sure to plan your visit to Illiana Christian High School starting October 15! Sign Up Here: https://forms.gle/9oRn6tKR2NPMQgGx8
2. AWANA Clubs for 2 years old – 5th grade begins every Wednesday, October 6th, 6:15-8pm, at Suburban Bible Church in Highland. Registration and information are available on the church website www.suburbanbible.org