PARENT NOTE – September 13, 2021
“Just LIVE it!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
After a football-filled weekend, we’re ready for another great week at school!
Last week, I introduced the first question of PLC – “What do we want students to learn?” This week, we will focus on the second question – “How do we know students have learned it?” At HCS, teachers use formative and summative assessments to track student progress and determine next steps for every learner. Assessments are given because learning is designed for, and oriented around, students – not a curriculum or what has been done in the past. By utilizing data, teachers can best support each child’s individual learning needs. The NWEA assessments are a very helpful tool to achieve this purpose. As we conclude fall assessments in the coming weeks, we are looking forward to using this data to best support your child’s unique and individualized learning needs and trajectory.
1. Grandparents’ Day is Oct. 8. Please watch for an email that will be sent this week giving instructions on how to update your child’s grandparent information.
2. Highland Christian is looking for additional after-school math tutors. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Mr. Weener.
3. Homemade vanilla is available in the office for all your baking needs. Vanilla sells for $2.00 for an 8 oz. bottle.
1. THANK YOU to everyone who participated in this year’s Candy Bar Sale!! Gift card winners are; K-2: Daniel Hamstra (8 Cases), 3-5: Julia Figueroa (31 cases) and Aubrey Staples (29 cases), 6-8: Olivia Figueroa (27 cases)! The Top 5 overall winners are: Julia Figueroa (31 cases), Aubrey Staples (29 cases), Olivia Figueroa (27 cases), Carly Porter (17 cases), Angelyn Galvan (9 cases)! Congratulations to Mrs. Warga’s class for selling the most candy bars last week! There are still some sales that need to be turned in. If you were unable to turn them in last week, please do this week. Thank you!!
2. Muffins for Misses is this Wednesday, September 15th from 7:30-8:15 a.m. and will be outside, weather permitting. All Huskies may bring a special lady – whether it’s a mom, aunt, grandma, family friend or neighbor for muffins, coffee, fellowship and fun. Please remember to bring a chair or a blanket to enjoy your muffin on!
1. Eighth grade parents and students: Sort nights are back at etc for the 2021-2022 school year! Join us for the Sort Night TONIGHT, Monday, September 13, from 5-7 pm at etc. See you there!
2. Seventh grade parents and students: Your sort night is coming up next week! Save the date, September 20, from 5-7 pm for sorting at etc!
1. Weds., Sept. 15 – Illiana Cross Country Meet – 4:30 start
Thurs., Sept. 16 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
1. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., Sept. 16th by 10 a.m.
2. ThankScriping Day is this Thursday Sept. 16 and Friday September 17 for all of our online scrip ordering participants!
3. New Voucher Businesses:
a. Norwex Consultant – Kristine Hendon has joined our voucher program as a Norwex cleaning consultant. Norwex has all the cleaning supplies you need. Her bonus rebate for buying Norwex supplies is 8%. Contact Kristine Hendon at 309-798-1856 or KristineHendon.Norwex.biz for more information.
b. Dan Hendon Enterprises – Dan Hendon is offering his services as a trainer, speaker and coach for entrepreneurs through the John Maxwell Team ministry group. Dan’s bonus rebate for these services is 10%. To learn more about this leadership training for business strategy and coaching contact Dan Hendon at 219-702-2027 or Dan@danhendon.com.
4. Just a reminder to the TRIP parents and family members – If you want your TRIP order to go home with your child in grades kindergarten through 8th you need to fill out a new TRIP registration form to give permission for this. You can find a current TRIP Registration form up on the Highland Christian School website. If you would like more information about TRIP contact Ann Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199
5. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Jamie Paul, Olivia Ridder) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Sept. 14th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Sept. 21; Team D – Sept. 28; Team A – Oct. 5: Team B – Oct. 12