PARENT NOTE – May 17, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
As we enter into the last two weeks of the school year, we can see the evidence of God’s faithfulness all around us! This is evident through His handiwork in establishing opportunities for students to learn, participate in extracurricular activities, and grow in their spiritual walk with the Lord.
Although we have many special activities and events in the coming days, much attention is being poured into the 2021-2022 school year. Currently, our enrollment is projected to grow from 350 to over 400 students (K-8 students)! As a result, we have posted an additional 1st and 3rd grade teaching position for next year. Later this week, a special communication will be coming from the office, as we turn to you, our community, to help us find and fill these positions. As always, we want to thank you for your continued support, as we serve these cherished and loved students.
To God be the glory!
1. This Friday is Impact Day at HCS! As our students and faculty serve at HCS and in the community, we pray that the love of Christ will be seen in us!
2. Yearbook order forms were given to all students last week. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out next week.
3. Thursdays are snack days for students in grades 3-8. All snacks sell for $1. Proceeds will go to reduce costs for our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia next year.
4. Camp Invention: Time is running out to become a part of Camp Invention at HCS. Camp Invention RECHARGE is at HCS June 14 – 18. During this unit students will design rubber duck launches (exploring the fun of physics), wireless microphones (putting design thinking into action), a nature-inspired morphing vehicle (design adaptations to take a vehicle from land to water to air) and a SolarBot cricket that is fueled by solar energy (innovating improvements your cricket). Camp Invention also explores how to copyright your design and proprietorship. This is a week where no idea goes unexplored, no thought goes unfinished and where the only limit is your child’s imagination. Camp Invention – where your children build confidence in their own ideas. Go to invent.org to explore all the fun that will be had this summer. Go to invent.org/camp to register your child for the beginning of a summer filled with ideas. Use code RECHARGE20 to get $20 off your registration fee (this discount ends May 31th, so act soon).
5. A huge thank you to all who supported the radio play “Treasure Island.” Parents who drove actors and crew members to and from school, fed them snacks, did makeup and hair, helped with props and chaperoned the after party. Thank you to the actors and crew who participated in rehearsal and did a wonderful performance for the audience. The directors had fun working with the students and developing the art of theater with them. Thank you for allowing the drama to happen.
6. Girls On the Run: Our 3rd-5th grade girls in GOTR this year are running their 5K this Saturday at 1pm beginning at Highland High School. Let’s cheer them on!
1. Don’t forget that this Wed., May 19, is Donuts for Dudes! Have your children bring their favorite dudes before school to enjoy a donut! The event is outside in the field behind the gym from 7:30 – 8:05. Please bring your own chair or blanket.
1. Just a reminder that all books need to be returned to the library now. Please help books get reshelved and made ready for all the reading that will happen again next year by returning them promptly. This week students will set Summer Reading Goals for themselves to retain and build upon all the learning that happened this year (and because reading is so fun!). Discuss with your children what their goal should be – maybe a time for family reading over the summer, or a goal for yourself so that you and your children can encourage each other to read! Reading with your children models how important reading can be.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 1st Grade Teacher
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• Part-Time Spanish Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time Executive Development Assistant
• Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., May 20th by 10 a.m. In May TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on May 20 and 27. In June we will be accepting TRIP orders June 3, 10 and 17.
2. Team A (Julie Sitter, Missy Buikema, Jessica Hiskes, Larissa Vander Pol) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, May 18th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/17/21): Aeropostale – 12%; Crate & Barrel – 9%; PetSmart – 6%; Wayfair – 7%; Jewel – 4%.
4. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – May 25; Team C – June 1; Team D – June 8; Team A – June 15
1. Munster Church is inviting you and any of your friends, to the Munster Church Classic 5K! Join us on Saturday, July 17 for a 5K run or 2.5K fitness walk. This event is chip-timed and will take place at Munster Church (214 Ridge Road). Following the race, please join us for a pancake breakfast! All event proceeds will go to Teen Mother Choices International. For more information and to register, go to munster.church/5k.
2. Sojourner Truth House would like to invite you to the 22nd Annual Walk for STH. This is a 1.6 mile walk, walking supports the mission of Sojourner Truth House to provide hope and help for homeless and at-risk women and their children and under-served citizens of Gary and Northwest Indiana. This is a family event. Individuals and families can participate in the the walk or sign-up to volunteer in various roles including color throwers, cheerleaders, etc. Visit our website www.walkforsth.org or contact Kristy Olsen at 219-806-3420.