PARENT NOTE – May 10, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Thank you to the many families that participated in Teacher Appreciation Week. PTO did a fantastic job of encouraging participation and this was truly felt by our staff. The special notes, words of encouragement, and yummy treats were an important part in helping our teachers see how valued they are to our entire community.
This week, we begin NWEA spring testing. Why MAP testing? This data helps us answer Question 2 of PLC – “How do we know a student has learned the material?” With this benchmark data, the teachers plan interventions, adjust curriculum, and add enrichment to support the academic journey of each student. Thank you for encouraging your children to do their very best, as we support their unique gifts and learning needs! Have a great week!
1. HCS Community,
THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! God is so good and I am forever grateful for the ways He has used so many of you to bless us in the wake of the fire. Thank you for the prayers and kind words, the financial support, gift cards and so much more. I am truly blessed to be a part of this amazing community.
Lorrie Musch and family
2. The faculty and staff of HCS would like to thank our HCS families, School Board and PTO for the breakfast, goodies, gifts, and kind words given for Staff Appreciation Week. What a blessing to be a part of our HCS community! Thank you so much!
3. Ahoy there, Highland Christian! Set sail this week for the Junior High Drama production, a 1940s radio play version of “Treasure Island!” On Thursday, May 13, and Friday, May 14, our play begins at 7 p.m., but doors will open at 6:30 p.m. Come check out Long John’s Kitchen for some pirate-y treats before the play starts, and take some fun photos with our pirate backdrop and props! Tickets are free, and seating is first come, first served. We’re excited to welcome you aboard!
4. Yearbook order forms are being sent home with all students today. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out at the end of this month.
5. Thursdays are snack days for all students in grades K-8. All snacks for sale are $1. Proceeds will go to reduce costs for our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia next year.
6. HCS is hosting Camp Invention’s RECHARGE unit June 14 – 18. During this unit students will design rubber duck launches (exploring the fun of physics), wireless microphones (putting design thinking into action), a nature-inspired morphing vehicle (design adaptations to take a vehicle from land to water to air) and a SolarBot cricket that is fueled by solar energy (helpful inventions for your cricket). This is a week where no idea goes unexplored, no thought goes unfinished and where the only limit is your child’s imagination. Camp Invention, where your child builds confidence in their own ideas. Go to invent.org to explore all the fun that will be had this summer. Go to invent.org/camp to register your child for the beginning of a summer filled with ideas. Use code RECHARGE20 to get $20 off your registration fee (this discount ends May 31th, so act soon).
1. Thank you for all the support you have given to your children over the year to encourage reading skills and independence. It has been great getting to know your children and I appreciate your trust. I hope you have a good summer. Please remember that all books need to be returned by Friday, May 14th. Any books not returned will be replaced and the tuition account will be charged the amount of the book.
1. The Art Department is currently collecting paper bags with handles in order for students to bring their art projects home from the past year. Thank you in advance for your help with this!
1. Thank you to everyone for participating in Teacher Appreciation Week! We hope our teachers all know how thankful we are for their hard work and dedication!
2. Save the Date – May 19 is Donuts for Dudes. This will be an outdoor event with individually wrapped items. Bring a chair or blanket to sit on and enjoy a breakfast treat with your favorite dudes.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• Part-Time Spanish Teacher
• Part-Time 8th Grade Lit. Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time Executive Development Assistant
• Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Wed., May 12 – Track Meet at Chicago Christian – 2:30 start
1. TRIP orders are due this week (paper and online) on Thurs., May 13th by 10 a.m. In May TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on May 13, 20, and 27. In June we will be accepting TRIP orders on the 3rd, 10th and 17th.
2. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/10/21): Jiffy Lube – 12%; Red Robin – 10%; Jewel – 4%.
3. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – May 18; Team B – May 25; Team C – June 1; Team D – June 8
1. Information for Purdue NW Basketball Camp is available in the HCS office.
2. Munster Church is inviting you and any of your friends, to the Munster Church Classic 5K! Join us on Saturday, July 17 for a 5K run or 2.5K fitness walk. This event is chip-timed and will take place at Munster Church (214 Ridge Road). Following the race, please join us for a pancake breakfast! All event proceeds will go to Teen Mother Choices International. For more information and to register, go to munster.church/5k.