PARENT NOTE – May 3, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
After a busy year, the Highland Christian School Board is excited to welcome you to tonight’s Society Meeting at 7:30pm in the gym. It is through God’s goodness that we have been able to make substantial progress on the school’s Strategic Plan, School Improvement Plan, and a number of educational and fiscal initiatives. See you tonight!
In the event you are not able to attend tonight’s meeting, we would encourage Society members to vote absentee: https://forms.gle/Ae8q75ZyXnaHCUoe9
1. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting is this evening, May 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the approval of three school board members: Curt DeGraff, Julie Sitter, and Deanne Van Rosendale, and the approval of the 2021/2022 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda and absentee ballots are available at www.highlandchristian.org and in the school office.
2. This Wednesday, May 5 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00.
3. This Friday, May 7 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
4. Thursdays are snack days for all students in grades K-8. All snacks for sale are $1. Proceeds will go to reduce costs for our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia next year.
5. Calvin Christian School and Unity Christian Academy in South Holland will be co-hosting a parent webinar on Thursday, May 6 at 7:30pm online and have graciously offered participation to Highland Christian. The title of the talk is: The Digital Culture of Kids – Expert Knowledge, Practical Advice, Strategies that Work. The seminar is free of cost and a question and answer period will be offered when the presentation concludes. For more information, visit the organization’s website, protectyoungeyes.com, or the Calvin’s website at www.calvinschool.org. You may register at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f2gJSmUOS0GwKuyikNbQ0g
1. The Art Department is currently collecting paper bags with handles in order for students to bring their art projects home from the past year. Thank you in advance for your help with this!
1. Don’t forget it’s Teacher Appreciation Week! We are celebrating our teachers every day this week with these fun themes:
• Monday – Eat, Drink & Be Merry
• Tuesday – Stock the Classroom
• Wednesday – Specialty Teachers
• Thursday – Show Your Appreciation
• Friday – It’s Friday Fun-day!
You can find the flyer and ALL of our teachers Favorite Things if you log in to On Campus and go to the PTO tile. We hope you enjoy this new resource!
2. Thank you, also, to all of the families who participated in the Family Photo Scavenger Hunt! We want to congratulate the Amazon gift card winners – the Reynhout family, the Kramer family, the Miniuk family, the Jacobs family, the Lang family, and the Haan family. We loved everyone’s photos and hope you all had fun!
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• Part-Time Spanish Teacher
• Part-Time 8th Grade Lit. Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time morning secretary and part-time Executive Development Assistant. These positions could possibly be combined for full-time work.
• Substitute Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. No TRIP orders are due this week. In May TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on May 13, 20, and 27.
2. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199 to purchase these gift cards. Amazon.com $10/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Beggars Pizza $10, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Burger King $10, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle Mex. Gr. $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25, Dairy Queen $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s (GFS) $25, Hohman Floral $10, Meijer $25/$50/$100, Menards $25, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Outback $25, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10/$25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $10/$50, Teibel’s $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50/$100, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
3. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Shavonne Dennie, Mary Brinks) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, May 4th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – May 4; Team A – May 18; Team B – May 25; Team C – June 1