PARENT NOTE – April 26, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Over the past few months, my wife has been working on a rental property we have been turning over in Kalamazoo. This 490 square-foot house on a slab is small, but a perfect place for an individual to call home. After we gutted the house, Abby has been making 2-3 day trips to West Michigan to renovate and prepare the property to sell by June 1. Even in the midst of being 7 months pregnant, she has made great progress and has had a ton of fun along the way.
As we round the corner of seeing the final work of this house come together, I am reminded of the school year we are only a few weeks away from completing. It has been a great deal of work and sometimes it felt that the end was too far off to even consider. However, through intentional partnerships with families, students, and staff, we’ve been able to not only survive the school year, but thrive in it! Right now, ILEARN is wrapping up, and the kids have done a fantastic job. So, let’s finish the race we started many months ago with endurance and enthusiasm. Great job, team! Let’s keep up the great work!
2 Timothy 4:7, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith”.
1. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting is next Monday, May 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the approval of three school board members: Curt DeGraff, Julie Sitter, and Deanne Van Rosendale, and the approval of the 2021/2022 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda is available at www.highlandchristian.org and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots are available in the school office.
2. Reminder: Thursday is snack day for grades 3-8. All snacks for sale are $1. Proceeds will go to reduce costs for our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia next year.
3. Homemade vanilla is available in the school office for all of your baking needs. Vanilla sells for $2.00 for an 8 ounce bottle.
1. Please note that the final due date of the year is May 14. All books need to be returned by then. Any books not returned by the end of the school year will be charged to the student’s tuition account. In order for all students to have equal access to the books it is best to return all books in a timely manner. Thank You.
1. Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3-7! It has been an unusual year, and our teachers have stepped up to make it as normal as possible. From having to switch to all e-Learning last spring, to mask wearing, hand sanitizing, creating social distancing in their classrooms and rethinking how they have to do things – they have tackled it all! Our teachers are godly examples to our children every day, and we want to use this special week to let them know how much they are appreciated. Students will be coming home with more information later this week along with some different ideas you can use to bless our teachers. We were unable to do Teacher Appreciation Week last year, so let’s make this one extra special! e-Learning students, we want to encourage you to participate too! While your experience is a bit different than in-person students, we hope you will take time during that week to do something special for your teachers. Whether it’s an e-mail, sending a card, drawing a picture or making a video – try to find a way to let them know how much they mean to you.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• Part-Time Spanish Teacher
• Part-Time 8th Grade Lit. Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time morning secretary and part-time Executive Development Assistant. These positions could possibly be combined for full-time work.
• Substitute Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Wed., April 28 – Track Meet at Chicago Christian High School – 2:30 start
Friday, April 30 – Track Meet at Illiana Christian High School – 2:30 start
1. This week extra bonus rebates are coming your way! Shopwithscrip.com ThankScriping Days are coming up on this Thurs. Apr. 29th and Fri. the 30th for all of our registered online scrip participants. Contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199 and leave a message to register for online purchases or for more information.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Apr. 29th by 10 a.m. In May TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on May 13, 20, and 27.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 4/26/21): Barnes & Noble – 10%; Cheesecake Factory – 7%; Outback – 12%; Red Lobster – 10%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%; Shutterfly – 11%; Bath & Body Works – 16%; Express – 12%.
4. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Jamie Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Apr. 27th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – May 4; Team A – May 18; Team B – May 25; Team C – June 1
1. Illiana Christian Cheer Tryout Information for Competition AND Basketball Seasons:
Tryouts – Tuesday 4/27 6:30-8:00pm, Wednesday 4/28 6:30-8:00pm and Friday 4/30 5:30-7:30pm
Questions: Email Illianacheer@gmail.com
2. Do you want tangible ways to help protect what you, your kids, or your grandkids see on the internet? Faith Church is hosting a digital Protect Young Eyes Event on Monday April 26 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. Go to Webinar Registration – Zoom to register for this event.