PARENT NOTE – April 19, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Friday night was an excellent showing of God’s faithfulness to HCS once again! Through the generous gifts of community members and local businesses, HCS was able to raise over $100,000 for building projects, instructional tools, and building long-term funds. Additionally, a special thank you goes out to the Auction Committee for their relentless work to benefit the entire community!
As we begin ILEARN testing this week, we are especially excited to share the fantastic news that our 3rd graders beat the pre-COVID state average pass rate of 84% on IREAD with a 93% pass rate. These scores outpaced local schools – with eight 3rd graders scoring perfect scores on all three tests. Great job, Huskies! Let’s keep up the great work throughout the building!
1. The Public Feedback Forum is tomorrow evening at 6:00 in the school gym.
2. Reminder: Thursday is snack day for grades 3-8. All snacks for sale are $1. Proceeds will go to reduce costs for our 8th grade trip to Philadelphia next year.
3. Homemade vanilla is available in the school office for all of your baking needs. Vanilla sells for $2.00 for an 8 ounce bottle.
4. This Friday, April 23 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
1. Congratulations to the music students who participated in ISSMA this year! Here are their results:
• Grant Sitter 5th Grade – Piano Solo Group IV Gold
• Addie Buikema 5th Grade – Piano Solo Group IV Gold
• Mallory Otto 6th Grade – Piano Solo Group IV Gold
• Wren Weinberg 5th Grade – Piano Solo Group V Gold
Thank you for your hard work in preparation for the contest!
1. Please note that the final due date of the year is May 14. All books need to be returned by then. Any books not returned by the end of the school year will be charged to the student’s tuition account. In order for all students to have equal access to the books it is best to return all books in a timely manner. Thank You.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time morning secretary and part-time Executive Development Assistant. These positions could possibly be combined for full-time work.
• Substitute Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Family Photo Scavenger Hunt information is going home this week to families. We hope you take some time to have fun taking photos of different objects around your neighborhood with those you love. Plus, PTO is giving away 8 – $25.00 Amazon gift cards! Watch for the flyer for all the details. We can’t wait to see all the photos!
1. Extra bonus rebates are coming! Shopwithscrip.com ThankScriping Day is coming up on Apr. 29th and 30th for all of our registered online scrip participants. Contact Ann Lynch to register for online purchases or for more information.
2. Zandstra’s Gift Certificates are available to purchase. Gift certificates are $15 each with a bonus rebate of $3. You can order Zandstra’s gift certificates on your Thursday TRIP order form or through our Cash & Carry sales. To buy them directly contact the TRIP office at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199 and leave a message.
3. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Apr. 22nd by 10 a.m. In April TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on Apr. 22, and 29.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 4/19/21): Bath & Body Works – 16%; Buca di Beppo – 10%.
5. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Jamie Paul) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Apr. 20th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – April 20; Team C – April 27; Team D – May 4; Team A – May 18; Team B – May 25
1. Illiana Christian Cheer Tryout Information for Competition AND Basketball Seasons:
Open Gym – Wednesday 4/14 7-8:30pm
Parent and Athlete Pre-Tryout Meeting – Wednesday 4/21 7:30-8:30pm
Tryouts – Tuesday 4/27 6:30-8:00pm, Wednesday 4/28 6:30-8:00pm and Friday 4/30 5:30-7:30pm
Questions: Email Illianacheer@gmail.com
2. Do you want tangible ways to help protect what you, your kids, or your grandkids see on the internet? Faith Church is hosting a digital Protect Young Eyes Event on Monday April 26 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. Go to Webinar Registration – Zoom to register for this event.