PARENT NOTE – April 5, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I hope your family had a wonderful Spring Break! For our family, we spent some time resting, working on a number of house projects, and celebrating Easter together! As we return to school, ILEARN testing is just a few weeks away. As this is the first time assessments have been administered in the past two years, here are some friendly reminders:
1. Students who arrive at school with time to get settled and ready for the day feel more peaceful, prepared, and equipped for a successful day. Having your child at school by 8:10am – 8:15am is a great place to start!
2. Sleep is key! Research points to students needing nine to twelve hours of sleep a night. With proper sleep, your child will not only be more successful at school, but will also be a happier camper at home!
3. While it is important to have positive conversations with kids about doing their best on the state assessments, it is important these tests do not overwhelm or negatively impact students.
In addition to preparations for ILEARN testing, we are also set to move forward with some exciting school-wide events in the next two weeks. On Friday, students will participate in the filming of Grandparents’ Day (released in May). Furthermore, on Friday, April 16 at 6:30pm, we will host our second online Auction! You will be impressed with many of the unique items in this year’s auction. Yes, there is a raccoon lamp!
In other news, congratulations to Mrs. Kinkade, an HCS Parent, who is leading the 55-person HCS March Madness Tournament! With just the finals left, we will see if she takes home the crown!
1. Welcome Back! We hope all of you had a wonderful Spring Break! Important Reminder: This Wed., April 7 is a late start – school will begin at 10:00 on this day.
2. Reminder: The dismissal time for this Friday, April 9 has been changed from a 1:45 dismissal to a full day of school. Dismissal time will be at 3:10. There will be hot lunch on that day.
3. This Friday we are filming for our Grandparents’ Day video. Please have your child dress up for the filming. They should not wear sweatpants. This includes junior high students.
4. HCS is looking for someone who has a small trailer who would be available after school on Thursday, April 8 and after school on Friday, April 9 to help transport musical instruments from school to Faith Church in Highland. Please contact the school office if you are willing to help. Thank-you!
5. The HCS Auction will take place online on Friday, April 16 at 6:30 p.m. Our Raise the Paddle this year will be going towards new playground equipment for our preschoolers. There is a link on the HCS website for you to register to bid. Items will be posted the week leading up to the auction for you to view and start your pre-bidding. If you have questions feel free to call Jodi at 219-838-0356 ext. 165.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian has the following employment opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year:
• 1st Grade Teacher
• 3rd Grade Teacher
• 40% Gifted and Talented Teacher
• 100% (or less) Title I Teacher
• 100% (or less) Academic Support/Intervention Teacher
• Part-time morning secretary and part-time Executive Development Assistant. These positions could possibly be combined for full-time work.
• Substitute Bus Driver
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Huge Sale on Spiritwear! All spiritwear will be 50% off for 2 weeks only! Today through April 17th. Shop early for the best selection!
1. Zandstra’s Gift Certificates will be available again to purchase beginning with this week’s TRIP order on Thursday. Gift certificates are $15 a piece with a bonus rebate of $3. If you order Zandstra’s gift certificates on your Thursday TRIP order form with other physical gift cards they will be available for pick up the following Tuesday in the school office. If you would like to purchase Zandstra’s gift certificates through our Cash & Carry sales contact the TRIP office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199 and leave a message.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Apr. 8th by 10 a.m. In April TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders (paper and online) on Apr. 8, 15, 22, and 29.
3. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – April 13; Team B – April 20; Team C – April 27;
Team D – May 4
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Preview Illiana is back! This is a great opportunity for parents and students who are considering Illiana Christian High School to get an up close view of the school, and have all their questions answered. And, we think it’s just a lot of fun too! Plan to join us this Saturday, April 10 at 10 a.m. or Tuesday, May 18 at 7:00 p.m. Middle school students will receive a free Illiana T-shirt. Due to ongoing Covid restrictions, seats are limited and preregistration IS necessary at this link: http://bit.ly/previewillianaspring2021.