PARENT NOTE – March 15, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
It wouldn’t be March without March Madness! This year is a special and unique year, as all games will be played in Indiana. To join the fun, Highland Christian is inviting all parents, teachers, alumni, grandparents, and friends of the school to participate in the HCS March Madness Bracket competition. The winner will receive $25 of TRIP credit and will be crowned with the March Madness – Traveling Trophy! Registration and picks must be completed by Wednesday (3/17) with the link below:
(This will require making an account on ESPN.com)
Lastly, I want to express my appreciation for everyone’s cooperation in the handling of HCS’ COVID related protocols and policies. With over 500 individuals in the building, we have been blessed to have had no COVID cases in the past five weeks. To God be the glory!
1. Dan Seaborn Event: On Friday, April 9, from 6:00pm-7:30pm, Dan Seaborn will be leading a parent designed event at Munster Church entitled Faith & Family. This event was specifically designed to support parents of any age- to raise their children to love the Lord. Dan is a highly sought-after Christian speaker – whose message about uniting families for Christ will help transform and guide every attendee. This is a can’t miss event! For $5 tickets, please stop in at the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. HCS is hosting an American Red Cross Blood Drive in the HCS parking lot on Friday, March 26 from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. You may sign up at redcrossblood.org or call 1800redcross. All donations are tested for COVID-19 antibodies.
3. Calendar Update: The dismissal time on April 9 has been changed from a 1:45 dismissal to a full day of school. Dismissal time will be at 3:10. There will be hot lunch on that day.
4. Students in grades 3-8 will have the opportunity to buy snacks and/or drinks during their THURSDAY lunch hour to support next year’s 8th grade trip to Philadelphia. These treats will be sold for $1.00 and the proceeds will be equally divided to help offset the trip expenses. Furthermore, this fundraiser will continue until the end of our school year. Thank you for your support, as we make this exciting opportunity and possibility for our students! These are the items for sale:
Gatorade Juice Boxes Mini Cookies Veggie Straws
Soda Rice Krispy Treats Goldfish Pringles
5. The HCS Auction will take place online on Friday, April 16 at 6:30 p.m. Our Raise the Paddle this year will be going towards new playground equipment for our preschoolers. There will be a link up soon on the HCS website for you to register to bid. Items will be posted the week leading up to the auction for you to view and start your pre-bidding. If you have questions feel free to call Jodi at 219-838-0356 ext. 165.
6. Grandparents’ Day: Parents, we need your help! Grandparents’ Day is going virtual this year! There will be no in-person Grandparents’ Day on April 9. There will be a virtual program available in May. Your student came home today with a letter, an envelope, and address labels. We need the addresses of your child’s grandparents to mail them a surprise. PLEASE read the directions carefully and return the form and the labels in the envelope provided by this Friday, March 19. Thanks for your help.
7. GOTR Update: We’ve had a large number of girls sign up for GOTR which is great! However, we are looking to add at least one more coach to help out! If you are interested in helping coach GOTR, please contact either Holly Haitsma (email@example.com) or Julie Homans (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Thank you to all those that came out to Chipotle last Tuesday and supported Highland Christian! We were able to raise over $430 with your support.
2. Schedule Change: Donuts for Dudes was originally scheduled for March 24. We are rescheduling that event to Wednesday, May 19. We wanted you to be aware of this change, more details will be made available as we get closer to May.
1. Tuesday, March 16 – 8th & 7th boys volleyball vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:30 & 5:00
Thursday, March 18 – 8th & 7th boys volleyball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:30 & 5:00
1. Countdown to Spring Break: This is the last week you can order physical gift cards before Spring break! If you are traveling consider signing up for 24/7 online ordering access to the shopwithscrip.com website. For more information about the TRIP program and/or online ordering contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Mar. 18th by 10 a.m.
3. In April TRIP will be accepting physical gift card (paper and online) orders on Apr. 8, 15, 22, and 29.
4. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch to purchase gift cards.
Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20,
Bass Pro Shops $25, Bed, Bath & Beyond $25, Beggars Pizza $10, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Burger King $10,Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25,
Dairy Queen $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10,
Meijer $25/$50/$100, Menards $25, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Outback $25, Panda Express $25, Pizza Hut $10,Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100,
Target $10/$50, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25,
Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50/$100, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 15): Domino’s – 11%; jcpenney – 5%; Jewel 4%; DSW – 9%;
Red Robin – 10%.
6. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter, Jamie Vander Meyden) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Mar. 16th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Mar. 23; Team A – April 13; Team B – April 20; Team C – April 27
1. Illiana Spring Supper: The Parents Involved in Education Board is having their Spring Supper on Saturday, March 20. Due to Covid, this year it will be delivered right to you with a song performed by Illiana students. If you prefer, you can also pick-up at Illiana. Enjoy a dinner of fried chicken, rosemary potatoes, rolls and cake pops! Look for a link to the order form on Illiana’s home page (www.illianachristian.org) under News & Announcements. Ordering begins March 1st and needs to be placed by noon on March 18. All proceeds raised will benefit the “Excellence in Education Program.” This program allows the different departments to purchase items that are beyond what is covered with tuition dollars.