PARENT NOTE – March 8, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Thank you for your strong participation in last week’s Book Fair! With record sales, many new books and literacy tools will be purchased for HCS.
This coming week, we pivot and start a busy two months of state testing. As we prepare and equip the students to show what they know, we want to encourage families to be conscious of, and intentional in, the ways you can support your student(s) and help them to perform to the very best of their abilities. Please ensure that your children arrive at school early, eat a healthy breakfast, and come prepared with a disposition that will best equip them for success. Upon receiving state test results, we will analyze the data and use our findings to inform curricular and academic decisions going forward. We remain thankful for your partnership as we work together to help your children thrive and give God the glory!
1. Starting next week, students in grades 3-8 will have the opportunity to buy snacks and/or drinks during their lunch hour to support next year’s 8th grade trip to Philadelphia. Items for sale will include different types of soda, juice boxes, and other individually wrapped snacks. These treats will be sold for $1.00 and the proceeds will be equally divided to help offset the trip expenses. Furthermore, this fundraiser will continue until the end of our school year. Thank you for your support, as we make this exciting opportunity and possibility for our students!
2. Dan Seaborn Event: On Friday, April 9, from 6:00pm-7:30pm, Dan Seaborn will be leading a parent designed event at Munster Church entitled Faith & Family. This event was specifically designed to support parents of any age- to raise their children to love the Lord. Dan is a highly sought-after Christian speaker – whose message about uniting families for Christ will help transform and guide every attendee. This is a can’t miss event! For $5 tickets, please stop in at the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. This Friday, March 12 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
4. HCS is hosting an American Red Cross Blood Drive in the HCS parking lot on Friday, March 26 from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. You may sign up at redcrossblood.org or call 1800redcross. All donations are tested for COVID-19 antibodies.
5. Girls on the Run: This is the final week to sign up for GOTR! HCS will be hosting GOTR this spring. Practices start March 22nd and will be meeting Mondays and Wednesdays throughout the season from 3:15pm – 4:30pm. GOTR is for girls in 3rd-5th grade. To sign up, please go to https://www.gotrofnwi.org/Register-Now
1. Tomorrow is our next PTO Restaurant Night! Everyone is invited and encouraged to go to Chipotle in Highland on Tuesday, March 9 anytime between 5:00pm – 9:00pm. When ordering, please mention Highland Christian (or use code AVLBVRJ for online ordering) and 33% of sales will go towards our school. Take advantage of a night off from having to cook! Reminder, Chipotle is part of our T.R.I.P. program. Thank you in advance for supporting PTO!
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. HCS is looking for an after-school math tutor beginning the end of March. The tutor would need to be available from 3:15-4:15 on Monday – Thursday to support 1st – 4th graders. Contact Mr. Weener for more information.
2. HCS has two instructional positions posted on our website.
• Highland Christian is seeking a part-time Gifted and Talented Instructor who will work with K-8 students to meet their academic needs.
• Highland Christian is seeking a Title I teacher who will work within a collaborative team to lead a resource classroom. This may be a full or part-time position.
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Thursday, March 11 – 8th & 7th boys volleyball vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:30 & 5:00
1. TRIP is accepting orders for physical cards Mar. 11 and 18. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Mar. 11th by 10 a.m.
2. Countdown to Spring Break: Spring break is only TWO more TRIP orders away! If you are traveling consider signing up for 24/7 online ordering access to the shopwithscrip.com website. For more information about the TRIP program and/or online ordering contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
3. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch to purchase gift cards.
Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20,
Bass Pro Shops $25, Bed, Bath & Beyond $25, Beggars Pizza $10, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Burger King $10, Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25,
Dairy Queen $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10,
Meijer $25/$50/$100, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Outback $25, Panda Express $25,
Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $25,
Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Target $10/$50, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25,
TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50/$100, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 8): Aeropostale – 12%; Arby’s – 9%; DSW – 9%; Red Robin – 10%.
5. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Jamie Paul) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Mar. 9th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Mar. 16; Team D – Mar. 23; Team A – April 13; Team B – April 20
1. Illiana Spring Supper: The Parents Involved in Education Board is having their Spring Supper on Saturday, March 20. Due to Covid, this year it will be delivered right to you with a song performed by Illiana students. If you prefer, you can also pick-up at Illiana. Enjoy a dinner of fried chicken, rosemary potatoes, rolls and cake pops! Look for a link to the order form on Illiana’s home page (www.illianachristian.org) under News & Announcements. Ordering begins March 1st and needs to be placed by noon on March 18. All proceeds raised will benefit the “Excellence in Education Program.” This program allows the different departments to purchase items that are beyond what is covered with tuition dollars.