PARENT NOTE – March 1, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
As we head into March, we kick off a busy month with the Book Fair! At school, we will be taking time to Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) for 20 minutes every day this week. As you know well, literacy is the fundamental skill that strongly correlates to academic achievement. Furthermore, strong readers will be better equipped to learn God’s word!
It is for this purpose that we want to encourage parents to set aside time to read with your child. When you read at your child’s listening level (above your child’s independent or instructional reading level), your child will grow in his/her fluency, expression, usable vocabulary, and confidence while reading. Be encouraged that reading 20 minutes a day to your child will result in exposing them to an additional 1,800,000 words a year.
Reading is for Everyone! Here is a list of the dress up days:
• Monday – Be a proud reader – wear bright clothes so everyone knows you’re a reader
• Tuesday – Sometimes you’ve got to read between the lines – wear stripes
• Wednesday – Reading will open your mind to new things – Crazy Hair Day
• Thursday – Get into the spirit and read – wear school colors or Husky Spirit Wear
• Friday – Reading can change your life – dress up as your favorite book character
1. Reminder: This Wednesday, March 3 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00.
2. Book Fair: This week, March 2-5, HCS is hosting a Scholastic Book Fair. The Book Fair will be open to students during the day and to families before or after school hours. Families may come with students from 8 – 8:30 am and 3:15-4:00 pm. Families are not encouraged to come during school hours due to disruptions to school routines. Thank you for all the support you give to the Book Fair and the support to the school’s library.
3. Girls on the Run: HCS will be hosting a GOTR site this spring! We invite all girls who are in 3rd – 5th grade to join Girls on the Run! Girls on the Run inspires girls to recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind. Over the course of the season, girls will participate in 16 lessons over an 8 week period that will begin the week of March 22nd. The group will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:15pm-4:30pm at school. Registration can be found online at https://www.gotrofnwi.org/Register-Now. If you have any questions about GOTR, please contact Holly Haitsma (email@example.com)
4. Camp Invention: HCS is hosting Camp Invention in school this summer! Camp is June 14-18 and it is IN Person! Join us for a time of innovative fun. Don’t forget to sign up and use your save a spot discount from last year! Everyone can save $40 using the promo code RECHARGE40. Register your child today at invent.org/camp.
5. Dan Seaborn Event: On Friday, April 9, from 6:00pm-7:30pm, Dan Seaborn will be leading a parent designed event at Munster Church entitled Faith & Family. This event was specifically designed to support parents of any age- to raise their children to love the Lord. Dan is a highly sought-after Christian speaker – whose message about uniting families for Christ will help transform and guide every attendee. This is a can’t miss event! For $5 tickets, please stop in at the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian is looking for a part-time morning secretary and Executive Development Assistant. For more information about these openings, please visit the Employment Opportunities tab on the HCS website.
2. HCS is looking for an after-school math tutor beginning the end of March. The tutor would need to be available from 3:15-4:15 on Monday – Thursday to support 1st – 4th graders. Contact Mr. Weener for more information.
3. HCS has two instructional positions posted on our website.
• Highland Christian is seeking a part-time Gifted and Talented Instructor who will work with K-8 students to meet their academic needs.
• Highland Christian is seeking a Title I teacher who will work within a collaborative team to lead a resource classroom. This may be a full or part-time position.
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Restaurant Night: Our next restaurant night will be on Tuesday, March 9 at Chipotle in Highland. Note that Chipotle is also part of the T.R.I.P. program. More details will be available next week!
1. Thursday, March 4 – 8th & 7th boys volleyball vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:30 & 5:00
1. TRIP is accepting orders for physical cards Mar. 4, 11, and 18. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Mar. 4th by 10 a.m.
2. Countdown to spring Break: Spring break is only three more TRIP orders away! If you are traveling consider signing up for 24/7 online ordering access to the shopwithscrip.com website. For more information about the TRIP program and/or online ordering contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
3. Team A (Julie Sitter, Missy Buikema, Larissa Vander Pol, Jessica Hiskes) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Mar. 2nd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Mar. 9; Team C – Mar. 16; Team D – Mar. 23; Team A – April 13
1. Illiana Spring Supper: The Parents Involved in Education Board is having their Spring Supper on Saturday, March 20. Due to Covid, this year it will be delivered right to you with a song performed by Illiana students. If you prefer, you can also pick-up at Illiana. Enjoy a dinner of fried chicken, rosemary potatoes, rolls and cake pops! Look for a link to the order form on Illiana’s home page (www.illianachristian.org) under News & Announcements. Ordering begins March 1st and needs to be placed by noon on March 18. All proceeds raised will benefit the “Excellence in Education Program.” This program allows the different departments to purchase items that are beyond what is covered with tuition dollars.
2. New Hope Church, 3642 Lake Street, Lansing, Illinois, will be accepting applications for a part time custodial person (approximately 12 – 15 hours per week.) Please visit https://anewhopeministry.org/careers/ to download an application. You may download your application online, complete it, scan and e-mail back to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you may mail or drop off your completed application back to the church.