PARENT NOTE – February 22, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
A few years ago, Highland Christian’s theme was Run Your Race – based on Hebrews 12:1. At the end of the verse, we are instructed to “run with perseverance”. As we enter into the last week of February, we are approaching one of the final turns of our big race – the 2020-2021 school year. Although miles still need to be traveled, our destination is in sight. This destination is significant because of the skills mastered, relationships built, and steps towards spiritual growth.
Two years ago, my wife ran the Borgess half marathon in Kalamazoo. I specifically recall waiting at mile-marker ten to scream words of encouragement, run alongside her, and give her the extra boast she needed to make it the final few miles. I would like to think that these words of encouragement made a big difference. To this point, I would encourage you to find a special way to encourage your child and their teacher(s). Everyone has worked so hard this year and your words of encouragement make all the difference!
Again, we can’t thank you enough for your partnership with Highland Christian School. We appreciate you – a special member of our HCS family! To God be the glory!
1. Our Family First event, with Dan Seaborn, has been rescheduled to Friday, April 9 at 6:00pm. In order to operate successfully, and provide your children with the richest education possible, Highland Christian School must maintain strong partnerships between the church, home, and school. It is for this purpose that we have partnered with Munster Church to host this world-renowned speaker. In order to reserve your seat for this amazing opportunity, please contact the office and purchase your tickets for five dollars each. You won’t want to miss this spectacular event!
2. February’s Fantastic Fun Fridays:
• Friday, February 26-Favorite Hat Day
3. Camp Invention: HCS is hosting Camp Invention in school this summer! Camp is June 14-18 and it is IN-Person! Join us for a time of innovation fun. Don’t forget to sign up and use your save a spot discount from last year! Everyone can save $40 using the promo code RECHARGE40. Register your child today at invent.org/camp
4. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2021/2022 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 10. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
5. Girls on the Run: HCS will be hosting a GOTR site this spring! We invite all girls who are in 3rd – 5th grade to join Girls on the Run! Girls on the Run inspires girls to recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind. Over the course of the season, girls will participate in 16 lessons over an 8 week period that will begin the week of March 22nd. The group will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:15pm-4:30pm at school. Registration can be found online at https://www.gotrofnwi.org/Register-Now. If you have any questions about GOTR, please contact Holly Haitsma (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6. Calendar Update: HCS 8th grade graduation will be at 7:00 p.m. on May 26. Location will be determined at a later date.
7. Moms prayer time is changed this Friday only to a 6am conference call. Call in (425)436-6315 code 491381
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian is looking for a part-time morning secretary and Executive Development Assistant. For more information about these openings, please visit the Employment Opportunities tab on the HCS website.
2. HCS is looking for an after-school math tutor beginning the end of March. The tutor would need to be available from 3:15-4:15 on Monday – Thursday to support 1st – 4th graders. Contact Mr. Weener for more information.
3. HCS has two instructional positions posted on our website.
• Highland Christian is seeking a part-time Gifted and Talented Instructor who will work with K-8 students to meet their academic needs.
• Highland Christian is seeking a Title I teacher who will work within a collaborative team to lead a resource classroom. This may be a full or part-time position.
Please see the school’s employment page for more information.
1. Save the date: We will be having a restaurant fundraiser coming up on Tuesday, March 9 at Chipotle in Highland. Note that Chipotle is also part of the T.R.I.P. program. More details will be provided as we get closer to the date.
Wednesday, Feb. 24 – 8th basketball vs. Hammond Academy of Science and Tech. – AWAY – 4:00
Thursday, Feb. 25 – 8th basketball vs. Illinois Lutheran – HOME – 4:00
Saturday, Feb. 27 – 8th Grade Tournament at Covenant Christian H.S. – 1st game at 11:45
1. TRIP is accepting orders for physical cards Feb. 25, Mar. 4, 11, and 18.
2. Countdown to spring Break: Spring break is only four more TRIP orders away! If you are traveling consider signing up for 24/7 online ordering access to the shopwithscrip.com website. If you want physical gift cards to use when traveling you will need to order these within the next month. For more information about the TRIP program and/or online ordering contact Ann Lynch.
3. Volunteers needed for TRIP teams. If you have an hour or two you can spare once a month to put together TRIP orders contact Ann at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199, to get on a team. We need your help!
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Feb. 25th by 10 a.m.
5. Team D (Shelly Witham, Shavonne Dennie, Amy Yonkman, Mary Brinks) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tuesday, Feb. 23rd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 22): Gap/Old Navy – 17%.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Mar. 2; Team B – Mar. 9; Team C – Mar. 16; Team D – Mar. 23