PARENT NOTE – February 1, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
After living in Indiana for eighteen months, I was starting to think it was time to sell our “Michigan made” snowblower. With the snow we got this weekend, I am glad we held onto our Toro, nicknamed “The Beast”.
Over the past few months, I have been addressing Highland Christian’s mission. We have discussed what it means to be a part of a professional learning community through teaching enduring standards, ensuring all students learn at high levels, and educating through DuFour’s 4 Questions. Furthermore, you have heard about how faith formation and Biblical knowledge are interwoven through the curriculum and rich experiences your children learn from every day.
We hold these values as highly important aspects of every day of education; however, as we welcomed students to school this morning, my attention was drawn to the giant piles of snow around the parking lot. While the dedicated work of academia is highly important, we must not miss these precious moments where kids race to climb to the top of the mountainous snow pile, build snow forts, and make their first snow angel. These are the experiences that open a child’s eyes to the splendor of God’s world and goodness. So here’s your encouragement for the day: Take time tonight and this week to have fun exploring His creation. Set aside your work, Netflix, or other routines and step into the wonder of His world – made uniquely for us to enjoy.
Isaiah 42:5 describes God the Lord as, “the Creator of the heavens, who stretches them out, who spreads out the earth with all that springs from it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it.”
Have a great week!
1. Reminder: This Wednesday, Feb. 3 is a late start day. School begins at 10:00.
2. Spread the Word! Highland Christian School will be hosting HCS Preview Day, this Friday, February 5 from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you have friends or family who are interested in Christian education, send them our way!
3. If you are a BRAND CHAMPION for HCS and are willing to represent as a current parent, raise your hand! We are looking for individuals who would be willing to help us welcome and support candidate and incoming families. This will be an as needed, light duty, do-it-from-home role. If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please contact Jodi Lineburg (email@example.com ) p 219-838-0356 x165.
4. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2021/2022 preschool registrations for new students. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab. If your child is a current SEC student and re-enrolling for next year, check OnCampus for your class preference form. Once you have completed this, we will issue your child’s enrollment contract.
5. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2021/2022 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 10. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
6. Girls on the Run (GOTR): We are looking for at least 1 more volunteer to help coach the spring season. GOTR encourages girls through physical activity and lessons to build their confidence, recognize their strengths, connect with others, and so much more! Per the GOTR program, the spring season is set to start the week of March 22nd, and is for girls in 3rd-5th grade. If you are willing to help with GOTR, or have any questions please contact Holly Haitsma (firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. February’s Fantastic Fun Fridays:
• Friday, February 5-Flannel Shirt Day
• Thursday, February 11- Friendship Day-Give Valentines to your friends and wear red, white or pink.
• Friday, February 19-Favorite sports shirt
• Friday, February 26-Favorite Hat Day
HCS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
1. Highland Christian is looking for a part-time morning secretary and Executive Development Assistant. For more information about these openings, please visit the Employment Opportunities tab on the HCS website.
1. We are looking for volunteers who would be willing to serve on PTO next school year. If you are interested or would like more information, please feel free to reach out to Rose Galvan (email@example.com or 219-242-6342) or email PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Tuesday, Feb. 2 – 8th girls vs. Hammond Academy of Science & Technology – AWAY – 4:00
1. Another Thank Scriping Day for extra bonus rebates for all of our online participants is coming up Feb. 18 and 19! Check out the rebates on shopwithscrip.com.
2. Colby Dental is no longer on our Voucher list for tuition credit.
3. Volunteers needed for TRIP teams. If you have an hour or two you can spare once a month to put together TRIP orders contact Ann Lynch to get on a team. We need your help!
4. No TRIP orders due this Thursday. Dates TRIP is accepting physical card orders in Feb. are the 11th, 18th, and 25th. Online ordering is available 24/7 using the shopwithscrip.com PrestoPay option. For more information contact Ann Lynch at email@example.com or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 1): Buffalo Wild Wings – 9%; Build A Bear – 9%; Sephora – 6%; Cheesecake Factory – 7%; Express – 12%; Hallmark – 6%; Outback – 12%.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Feb. 2nd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Cash and Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase by contacting Ann.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Feb. 16; Team D – Feb. 23; Team A – Mar. 2; Team B – Mar. 9
1. Join us for a ladies night out of fun and laugher as we hear from one of Chicago’s best clean female comedians and speakers, Tracy DeGraff on Friday, February 5th at 7 P.M at Faith Church Highland! Doors open at 6:30 PM and the event starts at 7:00PM. This will be a socially distanced show open to any woman you know. Masks are strongly encouraged. Share with a friend and purchase your tickets at MomsNation.org.
2. Nina Koutz, a 10th grade student and HCS graduate, is willing to study with your primary student on Saturdays. If you are interested or have questions, please call or text 219-730-1604.