PARENT NOTE – January 25, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
A few weeks ago, the principal’s note focused on academically equipping our students for success. This is one important piece of Highland Christian’s vision. However, if the vision statement only read, “At Highland Christian School, students will be academically equipped”, the school should close its doors.
The true beauty of Christian education is the full integration of God’s Word and the revelation that comes from the Bible into each and every facet of your child’s education. Whether learning about Martin Luther King Jr. in chapel (6th – 8th – last week, Kindergarten – 5th – on Tuesday), applying biblical insight to scientific discoveries, or taking time in class to spot our “God sightings”, we continually seek to become biblically grounded and spiritually nurtured.
So, as we focus on building student achievement, let us not forget who we are, why we are here, and the impact we will make for the Kingdom.
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion on the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
Have a great week!
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2021/2022 preschool registrations for new students. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab. If your child is a current SEC student and re-enrolling for next year, check OnCampus for your class preference form. Once you have completed this, we will issue your child’s enrollment contract.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2021/2022 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 10. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the admissions drop-down tab or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Girls on the Run (GOTR): We are looking for at least 1 more volunteer to help coach the spring season. GOTR encourages girls through physical activity and lessons to build their confidence, recognize their strengths, connect with others, and so much more! Per the GOTR program, the spring season is set to start the week of March 22nd, and is for girls in 3rd-5th grade. If you are willing to help with GOTR, or have any questions please contact Holly Haitsma (email@example.com).
1. 2021-2022 PTO: We are looking for volunteers who would be willing to serve on PTO next school year. If you are interested, or would like more information, please feel free to reach out to Rose Galvan (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-242-6342) or email PTO at email@example.com.
2. Thank you to everyone who submitted a photo for family game night! It was great to see so many families having fun together. Congratulations to the winners of the $25 Amazon gifts cards! (Gift cards will go home with students this week)
• Picture submitted by Ebony Robinson (Xavier Hughes – 3rd grade)
• Picture submitted by Mark Smith (Kennedy Smith – SEC student)
• Picture submitted by Mark Kramer (Collin Kramer – 3rd & Caleb Kramer – kdg.)
• Picture submitted by Renee Ramos (Olivia Figueroa – 6th & Julia Figueroa – 2nd)
1. Beginning in February the TRIP program will only take physical card orders three or four times a month. Dates TRIP is accepting physical card orders in Feb. are the 11th, 18th, and 25th. Online ordering is available 24/7 using the shopwithscrip.com PrestoPay option. For more information contact Ann Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
2. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Jan. 25): Aeropostale – 12%; Cheesecake Factory – 7%; DSW – 10%;
Express – 12%; Hallmark – 6%; Outback – 12%.
3. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Jan. 28th by 10 a.m.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Larissa Vander Pol, Missy Buikema, Jessica Hiskes) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Jan. 26th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Cash and Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase by contacting Ann.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Feb. 2; Team C – Feb. 16; Team D – Feb. 23; Team A – Mar. 2
1. RISE & ROLL BAKERY: The Parents Involved in Education Board of Illiana Christian High School is having a one-day fundraiser at the Cedar Lake and Schererville locations of Rise and Roll Bakery on Friday, January 29. Stop in on Friday, January 29 at either location and mention “Illiana”. Enjoy yummy donuts, pies and much more and help support the Excellence in Education Fund. This fund helps pay for many items not covered by tuition.
2. Join us for a ladies night out of fun and laugher as we hear from one of Chicago’s best clean female comedians and speakers, Tracy DeGraff on Friday, February 5th at 7 P.M at Faith Church Highland! Doors open at 6:30 PM and the event starts at 7:00PM. This will be a socially distanced show open to any woman you know. Masks are strongly encouraged. Share with a friend and purchase your tickets at MomsNation.org.
3. Highland Girls Softball registration information is available in the HCS office.