PARENT NOTE – January 11, 2021
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Over the next three weeks, we have the great opportunity to showcase the knowledge we have learned through the Winter MAPS tests. These rich assessments provide teachers with critical information about how we can best support and enrich the academic needs of our students.
As you speak to your children about these tests, please reinforce the importance of taking your time, giving your best effort, and checking answers before submitting and moving to the next question. With these results, we create interventions at school, recommend support outside of school, extend learning, and differentiate instruction within each grade level (Jr. High WIN Groups, Flex Friday, Leveled Reading, and more).
Additionally, as a school it is our duty to be in prayer for our country. As our country has experienced a number of polarizing events over the past few days and months, it is our responsibility to band together, join in prayer, and be Christ’s light to our community and world. Let this be the time where our light will shine brighter than ever for Christ. We can enact this by loving others, resisting conflict, and embracing Scripture. My assurance rests solely in His promises alone.
1. Looking for a Christian preschool or kindergarten experience? Your child will blossom at Highland Christian School! We invite you to join us for our PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSE tonight, January 11 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Learn more about the curriculum, classroom practices, and learning communities at Highland Christian School (PreK-Gr8). Attendance will be limited to 25 people. Please RSVP online at www.highlandchristian.org or by calling the office at 219-838-0356.
2. Reminder: There is no school next Monday, Jan. 18 in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
3. HCS is looking for additional help in the Before/After Program. Please contact Mr. Kyle Weener if you are interested or would like more information.
4. Girls on the Run (GOTR): We are looking for volunteers to help coach the spring season. GOTR encourages girls through physical activity and lessons to build their confidence, recognize their strengths, connect with others, and so much more! Per the GOTR program, the spring season is set to start the week of March 22nd, and is for girls in 3rd-5th grade. If you are willing to help with GOTR, or have any questions please contact Holly Haitsma (email@example.com).
1. Reminder: The PTO Movie Night scheduled for January 15 is unfortunately canceled and will likely be re-scheduled for a later date. We will keep you updated!
1. Thursday, Jan. 14 – 6th, 7th, & 8th girls basketball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Jan. 19 – 7th & 8th girls basketball vs. Hammond Academy of Science – 4:00 & 5:00
1. Beginning next month the TRIP program will only take physical card orders three or four times a month. Dates TRIP is accepting physical card orders this month are Jan. 14, 21, and 28. Next month TRIP will accept physical card orders on Feb. 11, 18, and 25. Online ordering is available 24/7 using the shopwithscrip.com PrestoPay option. For more information contact Ann Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356, ext. 199.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Jan. 14th by 10 a.m.
3. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Jamie Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues. Jan. 12th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
4. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Cards are available to purchase. Contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at email@example.com to purchase gift cards.
Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20,
Bass Pro Shops $25, Bed, Bath & Beyond $25, Beggars Pizza $10, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Burger King $10, Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS Pharmacy $25,
Dairy Queen $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Jewel $25,
Meijer $25/$50/$100, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Outback $25, Panda Express $25, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100,
Target $10/$25/$50, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25,
Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50/$100, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Jan. 19; Team A – Jan. 26; Team B – Feb. 2; Team C – Feb. 16