PARENT NOTE – November 16, 2020
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
As we approach Thanksgiving, I can’t help but comment about the goodness that the Highland Christian family has brought to our family. God is doing great things through the students, parents, teachers, and constituents of HCS. He is faithful.
Over the past two weeks, COVID cases have risen across the country. Fortunately, Highland Christian continues to be minimally impacted. Many thanks are in order to the students and teachers who have been diligently following social distancing and mask wearing best practices. Although some schools have made transitions to eLearning, HCS remains focused on ensuring best practices are implemented so we remain on-campus.
In light of Indiana and Chicagoland’s spike in COVID cases, I have directed our teachers to proactively minimize group work (limiting close contacts), wearing masks more so during class periods (when distanced), and refocus student hand washing, etc. Highland Christian’s response continues to be extremely proactive, which has led to such a successful fall. It is for this reason that we extended Thanksgiving Break through Tuesday, December 1 – school will resume on Wednesday, Dec. 2. We appreciate your support as we ensure onsite instruction, support community health, and provide for the needs of our loved students.
- For our Thanksgiving service project, we are collecting food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries in Roseland, IL. These gifts will be presented at our Thanksgiving Chapel on Wed., Nov. 27. A list of needed items is on the Thanksgiving letter that was sent home at conferences. Items are coming in. Let’s keep them coming!!
- The Dan Seaborn Event on November 20: This event is being cancelled due to COVID and low participation. It will be rescheduled for this spring.
- Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your holiday baking. 8oz. bottle for $2.00. Don’t wait too long – they sell out fast! If you have any empty 8, 10, or 12 oz. glass bottles, please send them to the office so more vanilla can be made.
- Hot Lunch Update: Lunch for tomorrow is chili dog or turkey dog, Ruffles chips, salad, and fruit.
- The Auction Committee is seeking volunteers to help solicit donations for this year’s auction. If you are interested, please contact Amanda Porter at email@example.com
- Face Masks: Parents, please put one or two extra face masks in your child’s backpack. We only have a limited amount of extras in the HCS office.
- Family Movie Night: We hope you and your family were able to enjoy Family Movie Night last Friday! Thank you to those who sent pictures! They were great to see!
- Shopwithscrip.com extra bonus rebates are coming up this Thurs., Nov. 19th and Fri. the 20th! Not signed up for online ordering? Contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about online ordering.
- TRIP will offer Cash & Carry Gift Cards beginning Dec. 3rd. Contact Ann Lynch at the TRIP office to make an appointment for purchasing gift cards. Look for a list of cards available to purchase in the Dec. 2nd Parent Note.
- The week of Thanksgiving TRIP orders will be due on Wednesday Nov. 25th by 10 a.m.
- TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thurs., Nov. 19th by 10 a.m.
- Current Bonus Rebates (week of Nov. 16): Nordstrom – 5%; Outback – 15%; Sally Beauty – 13%; Shutterfly – 11%.
- Team B (Amy Jellema, Stefanie Buikema, Lisa Long) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 17th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
- TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Nov. 24; Team D – Dec. 1; Team A – Dec. 8; Team B – Dec. 15
- Save the date for Illiana Christian’s 6th Annual Silent and Live Auctions to be held on November 21. The silent auction will begin at 5:00 p.m. and the live auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the gym. We will have great food, great fellowship and lots of great items to bid on. This year’s auction will be both in-person and virtual. The proceeds of the auction will go to the athletic department. If you have any questions or would like to donate to the auction, please email email@example.com. By donating to the auction, your business will receive advertising in the winter sports book.
- Plan now to join us, in person or virtually, at Preview Illiana on Thursday, December 3 at 7 p.m. Meet students, teachers, and staff, learn about our academic, extracurricular, and service opportunities, and experience Illiana’s mission to develop a passion for God, people, and the world. Register at https://ichs.io/PreviewFall20.