PARENT NOTE – October 12, 2020
“GO: Compelled By Love!”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Over the past eight months, research has clearly stated that the social-emotional needs of humans has dramatically increased. In this era of heightened anxiety, worry about safety, and concern for the future, our faith helps us stand strong amidst a 2020 that no one imagined. Just as we know our staff and students need encouragement, we know you are no different – the parents.
We are excited to announce a partnership with Munster CRC and world-renowned speaker, Dan Seaborn, on Friday, November 20 at 6pm in an event entitled: Faith & Family. As the founder of Winning at Home, a West Michigan based counseling organization, Dan serves churches, universities, professional sports teams, and other organizations to share God’s word and equip parents to raise children that love the Lord. His fire for the Lord and commitment to seeing families thrive will leave you impacted and ready to lead your family closer to the King.
Due to COVID guidelines, we are limiting the number of attendees to 160, which is Munster CRC’s COVID capacity. In order to register for this event, please purchase a ticket from the office for $5.00. Here’s a quick preview of what you can expect in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41WTIpW_H7U
Have a blessed week and don’t forget to register!
1. Auction Blessed! It was a Husky Pack Attack and it was amazing! You came through for the kids and our great school, raising a total of $87K through our 2020 Livestream Auction Event! We are humbled, blessed and so thankful for each person who made this possible! Proceeds from our annual Auction event offset specific budgeted expenses as well as a specific, named project. This year we raised funds for active learning furniture for grades 3-5 and you surpassed the goal! Thanks for your great generosity. To God Be the Glory!
2. Parent/Teacher Conferences – Nov. 4&5: This year, we are again using Schoolbookings.net to let parents sign-up for the conference slot they would prefer. Like last year, 3rd-8th grade conferences will be student led. Pre-K – 2nd grade conferences will just be with the parents.
Open this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gyUtePIZzSUy8wo77aFFhjHZ-UMJjwuq/view?usp=sharing to watch a short tutorial of how to sign up for a conference slot. This process is very straightforward and will help simplify this process for the office and give more options to families. Our school code is jh4gf.
3. HCS is partnering with The Bible League by doing a coin challenge beginning this Wednesday and going through Wednesday, Oct. 21. Information on this coin challenge will be sent out tomorrow. We are looking for a couple of volunteers to count and roll coins this Thursday, next Monday and Wednesday. Please contact the office if you are able to help. Thank you for your support!
4. HCS Job Opportunities:
• Highland Christian is seeking a part-time (40%) school counselor, effective immediately. This employee will ensure that students are given appropriate academic, emotional, and social support. As a non-authoritative advocate for students, the counselor will encourage academic success, help develop social competence, and assist students to discover her/his individual skills and interests, all in an environment that supports the development of each student’s personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Highland Christian is seeking candidates to serve as a substitute secretary. This individual will work every Tuesday or Wednesday and serve as a substitute in the event of an absence or vacation. This individual will be trained in the inner workings of Blackbaud, attendance, fielding parent questions, and supporting the office with other daily needs.
• Highland Christian is seeking candidates to serve as substitute teachers in the preschool, elementary, and junior high. Desired candidates would have substitute teaching experience or training in education.
• Highland Christian is looking for Math and Reading after-school tutors (3:15 – 4:15).
If you have questions about these instructional positions or would like to express interest, please contact Kyle Weener at 219-838-0356 x157 or email@example.com.
5. Women’s Prayer:
• Women’s Prayer will have a monthly 6am prayer call. Our first one will be Wednesday, Oct 14th from 6:00-6:30 a.m. If you would like to be on a text list to get a reminder, contact Tya Koutz @ 219-730-8931 or for questions. To join the call, dial (425) 436-6315 enter code 491381. This is a free call.
• Women’s Prayer is now meeting inside the BAC room every Friday at 8:30, or you may join us via phone call at (425)436-6315 code 491381
1. Candy Bar Prize Update: Limo Lunch prize winners (Aubrey Staples, Anayeli Favela, Taylor Kinkade, Gabriel Lockett, and Steven Depew), we are going to be pushing back your prize until the spring in hopes of being able to enjoy the lunch with maybe a few less restrictions. We will not forget, but wanted to inform you of the timing.
2. Candy Bar Boxes: We still have boxes that need to be sold, and are available to be purchased. If you are interested in purchasing a case of candy bars please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Save the Date: We will be having our first restaurant fundraiser of the school year coming up on Friday, October 30 with Panda Express. This event will be slightly different than previous years, as you will need to place your order online at pandaexpress.com and use a coupon code in order for the credit to go towards Highland Christian. This is a nationwide event, meaning you can go to any Panda Express in any state (a great opportunity for friends and family out of town that may want to help support Highland Christian). Also, note that Panda Express is also part of the T.R.I.P. program. More details will be coming.
Monday, Oct. 12 – Cross Country Meet at Illiana – girls at 4:30, boys at 4:50
1. For all of our TRIP online participants – there are extra bonus rebates coming up the next three Fridays and Saturdays on the shopwithscrip.com website. Contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at email@example.com for more information about online ordering!
2. Amazon.com is currently having an extra bonus rebate of 3.25% through Tues., Oct. 13th for the online TRIP participants.
3. The end of TRIP’s first quarter for tuition earnings is coming up. The last day to receive earnings credit for your November tuition statement is Mon., Oct. 26th. **Please note: Tuition earnings for online orders (escrip/reloads) placed and paid for using PrestoPay for the month of October are not posted until November. Those earnings will be on your Feb., 2021 tuition bill.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online) this Thursday, Oct. 15th by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/12/20): Jewel – 4%; Bath & Body Works – 16%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
6. Team A (Julie Sitter, Larissa Vander Pol, Missy Buikema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 13th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Oct. 20; Team C – Oct. 27; Team D – Nov. 3; Team A – Nov. 10