PARENT NOTE – February 10, 2020
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
This past Wednesday, HCS had our monthly 10am Late Start. Many students were able to sleep in, catch a ride to school with a grandparent, or enjoy the slower pace of the morning. Although these are some nice student perks, what is the purpose of a Wednesday Late Start? It is to give time and space to focus our collective energies on creating the richest educational culture possible for each of your students.
This past week, teachers continued our discussion of standard based grading and the ways we can use self-assessment tools to benefit student reflective thinking. As standards based grading (SBG) has been implemented K-5, it is important to remember why this transition is beneficial for teachers, parents, and most importantly, the students:
1. SBG allows teachers to clearly define student progress at a given skill.
2. SBG correlates to higher academic achievement of students.
3. SBG provides an appropriate game-plan for each student.
4. SBG promotes student-centered classrooms; not teacher-center classrooms.
5. SBG (4,3,2,1) is NOT related to an A, B, C, D scale. It solely is based on student mastery. A “3” means a student meets the grade level skill.
Enjoy the four day week! Our teachers will be hard at work with our sister schools at Friday’s In-Service at Illiana Christian!
Mr. Weener – Principal
1. Important Reminder: There is no school this Friday, Feb. 14 or Monday, Feb. 17.
2. The all-school skating party is this Thursday, Feb. 13 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lynwood Sports Center, 2030 Glenwood-Dyer Road, Lynwood, IL. Admission is $3.50 and skates are available for $2.50. Parents and siblings are invited to join the HCS students for a fun-filled evening!
3. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2020/2021 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
4. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2020/2021 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 11. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
5. Lost & Found: Stop in and check out the lost & found table by the office. All items left over the Presidents’ Day break will be given to etc… thrift store.
6. Science Fair Judges Needed! HCS will host its annual Science Fair on March 13 and we’re looking for judges! If you are available to volunteer as a judge these student presentations, please contact Mrs. Sara Timmer at
219-838-0356 x131 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. First grade parents! Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 11th is your sort night! Join us at etc from 6-8 pm for a night of fun sorting!
1. HCS PTO Community Dinner is March 3 from 5-7. Plan now to join us for a catered dinner and great fellowship. A free will donation box will be available and all proceeds will help make safety bags for each classroom and a first ever school mascot!
2. Get your PTO Husky Merch on sale in the office: Water bottles $10, Car Decals $10, Yard Signs $15, Beanies $14, Tumblers $18.
3. PTO 2020-2021: Anyone interested in joining the PTO Board for next school year, please contact Liz at email@example.com or 724-513-4072.
1. Tuesday, Feb. 11 – 6th & 8th girls vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Thursday, Feb. 13 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. Calvary – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., Mar. 5th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due on Thurs., Feb. 13 by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 2/10/20: Barnes & Noble – 12%; Build a Bear – 9%; jcpenney – 6%;
Shutterfly – 11%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 2/17/20): Gap/Old Navy – 17%; PetSmart – 6%.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Feb. 18; Team B – Feb. 25; Team C – Mar. 3;
Team D – Mar. 17; Team A – Mar. 24
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana on Tuesday, March 3 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Cornerstone Church is holding a Women’s Mini Prayer Retreat on February 22 from 9-2. All women 18 and over are invited! There is a $10.00 registration fee which includes a light breakfast and lunch plus all retreat materials. Join us for a day filled with worship, prayer, speaking sessions, break out groups, and videos. Cornerstone is located at 3440 178th St, in Lansing. For more information or to register please visit http://www.wearecornerstone.org/connection/womens-retreat/