PARENT NOTE – January 27, 2020
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
At last week’s chapel, students were tasked to be on the look-out for ways they can serve their community. Students as young as 5 years old discussed how they can use their hands, time, resources, words, prayers, talents, influence, and worship to impact the world for Christ. We learned in 1st Corinthians that the body of Christ has many parts which have different strengths, and yet each one is impactful and purposed. It is important this narrative is repeated to our students: they are each a vital part of the body of Christ.
As the students continue to discuss how they can serve their family, school, and community, we want to invite and encourage parents to join us in this conversation. Talk with your child(ren) about how they can serve others. I believe you will be surprised by their vision for Christ’s Kingdom in Northwest Indiana and Illinois!
Lastly, I would encourage you to write your child’s teacher a word of encouragement! There is so much that goes on behind the scenes to make your child’s experience at Highland Christian one that is “Grade A” – pun intended! Your words truly make a difference in our teachers’ lives!
Happy Monday and Go Huskies!
Mr. Kyle Weener – Principal
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2020/2021 preschool registrations for new students. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab. If your child is a current SEC student and re-enrolling for next year, check OnCampus for your class preference form that should be filled out and submitted online.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2020/2021 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 11. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Science Fair: Highland Christian School is looking for judges for the Science Fair on Friday, March 13. The 5th grade and 7th grade students are completing projects using the scientific method. They will have them displayed on tables in the gym, ready to be judged. If you are available to help or need more information, please contact Sara Timmer at ext.#131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
1. Thank you to all who came out to our game night Jan 17th. We had a great time playing Bible Jeopardy, having fun food, and awesome prizes! The snow didn’t hold our competitiveness and teamwork back!
2. HCS Merch is on sale in the office – Water bottles $10; Tumblers $18; Car Decals $10; Yard Signs $15; Beanies (few left) $14.
3. Save the Date for PTO’s catered community dinner on March 3. We will collect a free will donation with any proceeds going to make up safety backpacks for all classrooms and common areas and a special surprise purchase all the school will enjoy!
1. Monday, Jan. 27 – 6th & 8th girls vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
Tuesday, Jan. 28 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. Protestant Reformed – AWAY – 3:45, 4:45, 5:45
Saturday, Feb. 1 – 6th Grade Girls Tournament at Lansing – times TBA
Monday, Feb. 3 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. BEGINNING FEBRAURY 6TH TRIP orders for physical cards will only be taken on the second Thursday through the last Thursday of the month. The first Thursday of the month will be the TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store. Online ordering for Escrip and Reloads is available 24/7! Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com ).
2. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thurs., February 6th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
3. TRIP orders with payment (paper and online) are due Thurs., Jan. 30th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 1/27): Landry’s Rest. – 9%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
5. Upcoming Bonuses (Week of 2/3): AMC Movie Theatres – 10%; Shutterfly – 11%.
6. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Jamie Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter, Laura McDonald) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Jan. 28th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office today by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Feb. 4; Team A – Feb. 18; Team B – Feb. 25; Team C – Mar. 3;
Team D – Mar. 17; Team A – Mar. 24
1. Highland Little League and Highland Girls Softball registration information is available in the HCS office.