PARENT NOTE – January 21, 2020
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I pray your family had a restful MLK Day and were able to reflect on the impact Dr. King made on the United States, world, and Christ’s Kingdom. As our teachers and students discuss who Dr. King was and why we take a day to celebrate his legacy, I want to encourage you to continue this conversation at home. It is imperative that our children understand the past to help guide the future.
As we come back to school for a shortened week, I want to encourage our students to continue their hard work on the MAPS tests. These assessments are just a snapshot of your child’s work at HCS, but are essential work samples that our dedicated staff use as we individualize and tailor instruction to make sure each child learns at high levels.
Here are a few of the many success stories from last week:
“All but one of my students exceeded their MAP test growth goal from the fall. These kids have made huge progress!” – Elementary Teacher
“This is my first year at Highland Christian. My goal was to increase my score by 5 points, but I went up 22 points! I have been working very hard this year.” – New Student to HCS
“Based on my improved score, I see why my teachers have pushed me to do my best. They told me they saw my potential – and I did it!” – Jr. High Student
At 5th grade chapel this Thursday, the students will be tasked to keep their eyes open for needs within our community. As we seek to Blaze God’s Light, we want to empower and equip students to “See a Need & Fill a Need” – teaching them what it means to be the hands and feet of Christ in our community. Look for more information coming home in the coming weeks!
I am proud to serve such a wonderful community! Blessings!
Kyle R. Weener – Principal
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2020/2021 preschool registrations for new students. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab. If your child is a current SEC student and re-enrolling for next year, check OnCampus for your class preference form that should be filled out and submitted online.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2020/2021 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 11. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel led by the 5th grade, this Thursday morning beginning at 8:40.
4. Camp Invention: The date is set! Camp Invention is June 22-26 here at HCS. The camp runs daily from 9-3:30 and is staffed by teachers from Highland Christian School. The curriculum aligns with the science curriculum from school and is a great way to boost summer activities! Sign up on invent.org/camp today and use promo code DSB25 to get $25 off the registration fee (promo code expires March 31). Join us for a week of exploration and fun. Contact Judy Zandstra (librarian) with any questions.
5. School Musical: The sets crew is looking for some props. Do you have fake palm trees or jungle foliage you would like to lend to the music department for a week or so? We will take good care of it. Please contact Judy Zandstra (librarian) if you can help out. Thanks!!
6. Science Fair: Highland Christian School is looking for judges for the Science Fair on Friday, March 13. The 5th grade and 7th grade students are completing projects using the scientific method. They will have them displayed on tables in the gym, ready to be judged. If you are available to help or need more information, please contact Sara Timmer at ext.#131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
1. 2nd Grade Parents….Help us out tonight from 6-8 pm with sort night at etc! We are looking forward to a great night!
1. The Annual Lake County Public Library Read-a-Thon is on! Your child can participate by reading to raise money for the public and HCS libraries. A flyer was sent home last week but if you need another one there are plenty. Contact Judy Zandstra (librarian) for any information. Thanks for reading!
1. Tuesday, Jan. 21 – 6th, 7th, 8th girls vs. Calvary – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Monday, Jan. 27 – 6th & 8th girls vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
1. The end of the TRIP quarter for tuition earnings will be this Thurs., Jan. 23rd. These earnings will appear on your February tuition statement. Any earnings received after Jan. 23rd will be applied to the next quarter and will appear on the May 1st tuition statement.
2. Beginning in February TRIP orders for physical cards will only be taken on the second Thursday through the last Thursday of the month. The first Thursday of the month will be the TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store. Online ordering for Escrip and Reloads is available 24/7! Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com ).
3. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thurs., February 6th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
4. TRIP orders with payment (paper and online) are due Thurs., Jan. 23rd by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 1/21): The Home Depot – 6%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
6. Team B will be putting the TRIP orders together today. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office today by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Jan 28; Team D – Feb. 4; Team A – Feb. 18; Team B – Feb. 25; Team C – Mar. 3; Team D – Mar. 17; Team A – Mar. 24