PARENT NOTE – December 9, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It has been said that there is no “I” in “TEAM”. This phrase rings true on the athletic field and in the classroom. The classroom is a collection of players led by their coach (the teacher) to accomplish the objectives and the goals set out by the institution.
Imagine if Matt Trubisky showed up for the game an hour late without his helmet or a desire to play. Although we all may have questioned what is happening with the Bears this year, this image is a great reminder. As we relate this to the classroom, coming to school on time (10 minutes before the day begins) with assignments completed, supplies for the day, and devices charged are all the little pieces that make learning and growth possible. Remember, the difference between “ordinary” and “extraordinary” is a little bit of extra. Keep up the good fight, and go Bears!
Mr. Weener – Principal
1. This Thursday, Dec. 12 at 7:00 p.m., the Beginning Band and Junior High Band and Choir will present their annual Christmas Concert. Please come and share this special evening with us, as we rejoice in the birth of our Savior!
2. This evening, December 9 at 7:00 p.m., Illiana Christian High School is having a parent presentation on the dangers of social media. Collin Kartchner is a very popular speaker on the subject of social media and technology. He will be equipping parents with tools and resources to help their children navigate the world of social media and technology. All HCS parents are invited to attend this very important presentation.
3. Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity where you can inspire students at HCS? Would you like to make friends and meet other parents? Join the coaching team for Girls on the Run. We could use one Co-head Coach and more Assistant Coaches. Coaches do NOT have to be avid runners. Practices will be after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The program starts at the beginning of March and runs for 10 weeks. Coaches generally trade off doing the lesson and different activities. A successful season is a team effort. The curriculum is provided by GOTR, and training is provided. It is a great opportunity for anyone interested in leading lessons, doing activities, encouraging the girls, and being an excellent role model. If you are interested, please contact Bridget DeYoung at 219-809-1615 or at email@example.com. The student sign-ups will not be until 2020, so stay tuned for that information. GOTR is for girls in grades 3-5. For a preview, check out the website at gotrofnwi.org.
4. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your holiday baking. 8oz. bottle for $2.00. Don’t wait too long – they sell out fast! If you have any empty 8, 10, or 12 oz. glass bottles, please send them to the office so more vanilla can be made.
5. Gap Gifts: Students have the opportunity to let God’s light shine around the world this Christmas. The Christmas tree in the main hallway is decorated with gift tags of ducks, chickens, goats, calves, beehives, and tools. Each of these gifts can repair harm and help build up communities in Jesus’ name. By choosing a gift tag or tags from the tree, we do good deeds that give glory to our Father in Heaven. What will you do to help shine God’s light throughout the world? Gifts need to be brought to school by Friday, December 20. Checks should be written to World Renew.
1. We will have some extra Bulls tickets for sale for the Dec 28th game. Tickets are $35 each and open to anyone. To be put on a waitlist for these tickets, please text or email Liz St.George at 724-513-4072 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets will be sold on a first ask and first to pay service.
2. Save the date for Family Game Night on Jan 17. Watch these announcements and the Facebook page for more details soon!
3. The PTO Merch Sale has ended. Thanks to all who placed an order! If you weren’t able to get an order in, we will have limited extras of most items. Contact Liz St. George with questions or late orders.
1. Monday, Dec. 9 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Dec. 10 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Saturday, Dec. 14 – 1st Round 8th Boys Tournament at Illiana – times TBA
1. This is the last week to place a TRIP order for physical cards before Christmas! TRIP orders (paper and online orders) are due with payment this Thurs., Dec. 12th by 10 a.m. Just a reminder online ordering for Escrip and Reload cards using the PrestoPay option is available 24/7!
2. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thurs., Dec. 19th.
3. Online News: Last week to order Escrip cards, Reloads and physical cards with extra bonuses on Shopwithscrip.com. Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com ).
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 12/9): Outback – 9%; Chili’s – 16%; Domino’s – 12%; Red Robin – 11%; Sally Beauty Supply – 14%; Starbucks – 10%; Applebee’s – 11%; Arby’s – 10%; Bass Pro Shops/Cabela’s – 13%; Burlington – 11%; Express – 12%; The Home Depot – 7%; Jiffy Lube – 18%; Landry’s Rest. – 12%; Lane Bryant – 9%; PetSmart – 7%; TGI Fridays – 14%.
5. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Laura Mc Donald, Jamie Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 10th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Dec. 17; Team A – Jan. 14; Team B – Jan. 21; Team C – Jan 28