PARENT NOTE – December 2, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I trust you had a fantastic Thanksgiving with family and friends. Abby, Ezra, and I were able to travel to Michigan and spend the holiday with my parents in Holland, Michigan. One of our highlights was walking on the Lake Michigan shoreline with the entire family. As we walked along the shore, laughing, throwing frisbees, and running up and down the dunes, I paused to take a mental snapshot of God’s goodness. In this busy season, my prayer is that we intentionally take time to notice special moments and bask in God’s goodness.
This is the final of three Blue Note messages that highlight our thankfulness for the partnership we have between the school, home, and church. Today, I want to take a moment and acknowledge the strong partnership we have with our local churches and pastors. As we seek to “Blaze God’s Light”, we are thankful for the many pastors who love and cherish our students and their families. We could not do what we do without you – pastors!
Mr. Kyle Weener – Principal
1. This Wednesday, Dec. 4 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00 a.m.
2. Next Monday, December 9 at 7:00 p.m., Illiana Christian High School is having a parent presentation on the dangers of social media. Collin Kartchner is a very popular speaker on the subject of social media and technology. He will be equipping parents with tools and resources to help their children navigate the world of social media and technology All HCS parent are invited to attend this very important presentation.
3. Strack & Van Til Apples for the Students: The Strack & VanTil Apples For The Students Program enables our school to earn Apple Computers and iPads, sporting goods, audio visual equipment, science supplies, hundreds of other items to choose from, and they’re all FREE……… To earn these FREE awards we simply have to collect as many Strack & VanTil register receipts as possible dated from September 1st, 2019 through March 2nd, 2020. So far, we have collected over $10,000! Keep sending in every receipt from Strack & VanTil AND Van Til’s Supermarket no matter how small! Ask your friends and relatives to shop at Strack & VanTil and save every receipt. Send the receipts to school with your student as often as possible. Here at school we will count the value of the register tapes collected and redeem them for great items that benefit your child.
4. Box Tops for Education: Tomorrow – Tuesday, December 3rd – is the deadline for November’s Collection Contest. Send in your clipped Box Tops with your student to help their class win the Trophy! You can also scan your grocery receipts with the Box Tops App and give credit to your child’s class by noting their teacher’s name when you submit. Our total so far this school year is over $500 which directly benefits our reading programs! Go to www.BoxTopsforEducation.com for details.
5. SGO Scholarship applications are now being accepted. Please contact Lisa Long at extension168 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to schedule your appointment.
6. If your student brought home a letter regarding missing vaccinations, please return their vaccination records to the office by December 9. Thank you!
1. If you haven’t paid for your extra Bulls ticket(s), please contact Liz St. George (724) 513-4072 or email@example.com. All unpaid tickets will be sold by December 6. If you have paid for your tickets, check your email to sign a waiver form.
2. Staff Appreciation Breakfast from PTO – Dec 4
3. Save the Date: Family Fun Game Night – Jan 17
TRIP CASH & CARRY STORE
1. The TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., Dec. 5th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
Gift Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Bass Pro Shops $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Beggars Pizza $10, Bed, Bath & Beyond $25, Best Buy $25, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Cabela’s $25,
Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10/$25, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hallmark $25, Hohman Floral $10, JCPenney $25, Jewel $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lettuce Entertain U $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, PetSmart $25, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, ShutterFly $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10/$25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, SweetFrog $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25,Texas Roadhouse $25, TGI Fridays $25, The Home Depot $25, TJ Maxx $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Cascading Gift Card File $3
1. Tuesday, Dec. 3 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Dec. 5 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Friday, Dec. 6 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Saturday, Dec. 7 – 7th Boys Basketball Tournament at DeMotte – times TBA
6th Boys Basketball Tournament at Highland Christian – times TBA
Monday, Dec. 9 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. There are only 2 TRIP orders left to buy gift cards before Christmas (Dec. 5th and 12th)! TRIP orders (paper and online orders) are due with payment this Thurs., Dec. 5th by 10 a.m.
2. The TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., Dec. 5th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. There will be a second Cash & Carry Store on Dec. 19th, also.
3. Online News: Shopwithscrip.com is offering extra bonus rebates for the next two weeks! Shop Nov. 30th through Dec. 13th for extra bonus rebates from several retailers. No Credit Card fee when you shop online Dec. 5th & 6th and use your credit card to pay for your order. Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 12/2): Applebee’s – 11%; Arby’s – 10%; Bass Pro Shops/Cabela’s – 13%; Burlington – 11%; Express – 12%; The Home Depot – 7%; Jiffy Lube – 18%; Landry’s Rest. – 12%; Lane Bryant – 9%; PetSmart – 7%; TGI Fridays – 14%; Bob Evans – 12%; Carters/Osh Kosh – 10%; Starbucks – 8%; Shutterfly – 11%.
5. Upcoming Bonus Rebates (week of 12/9): Outback – 9%; Chili’s – 16%; Domino’s – 12%; red Robin – 11%; Sally Beauty Supply – 14%; Starbucks – 10%.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Kristina Bullion) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 3rd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Dec 10; Team D – Dec. 17; Team A – Jan. 14; Team B – Jan. 21
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana on Thursday, December 5 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 5 at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items or diapers of any size to be donated to Haven House in Hammond. If you have any questions, please contact Tya Koutz at 219-730-8931.
3. Living Hope Church, 9000 Taft St., Merrillville, IN is presenting, Homeward Bound, a FREE Christmas Production for the whole family. Show times are December 6, 7, & 8 beginning at 7:00 p.m. with a Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. No ticket needed!