PARENT NOTE – November 11, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you for taking the time to attend conferences last week. We pray this was a rewarding experience where you were able to learn about the positives of standards based grading, the ways we will differentiate for your child moving forward, and how you can best support your child with the results of the NWEA scores (specifically, the RIT scores). This week, the data team has linked IXL Math Skill Plans to the Resources tab on OnCampus. Within this link, you will find specific skills that are the “next steps” for your child. Although there are 367 students in the school, we specifically plan for each individual child. This data proves pivotal to individualized growth and attention! If you have questions regarding how to read the data presented at conferences, please reach out to your child’s teacher or administration. We are happy to help!
Kyle Weener, Principal
1. For our Thanksgiving service project, we are collecting food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries in Roseland, IL. These gifts will be presented at our Thanksgiving Chapel on Wed., Nov. 27. A list of needed items is on the Thanksgiving letter that was sent home last week. We started collecting donated items today. Let’s keep them coming!!
2. This Friday, Nov. 15 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
3. There are 12 extra apple slices that are available. Please contact the school office if you would like to purchase some.
4. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your holiday baking. 8oz. bottle for $2.00. Don’t wait too long – they sell out fast! If you have any empty 8, 10, or 12 oz. glass bottles, please send them to the office so more vanilla can be made.
1. LION KING, JR. AUDITIONS will be held on November 18 and November 19 from 3:30 – 5:30 each day. Any HCS junior high student may audition. Please see Mr. Rinkenberger for an audition form and packet. All musical information can be found on the Lion King, Jr. Resource Board in OnCampus.
1. Free Family Movie Night this Friday, November 15. Wonder Park will start at 6:30 (doors open at 6). Free event for entire school and their families. Parents please accompany your students. Light snacks will be provided for free. Come enjoy the fruits of your hard labor from selling candy bars!
2. Staff Appreciation Breakfast December 4: To volunteer, sign up with Faith Best email@example.com.
1. Who is ready to sort??? 4th graders and parents! Tuesday, November 12 is your night! Please join us at the store from 6-8 pm for a super fun sort night! We hope to see you there!
1. Tuesday, Nov. 12 – 6th, 7th & 8th boys basketball vs. Calvary Academy – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Friday, Nov. 15 – 6th, 7th & 8th boys basketball vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Dec. 5th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. There will be a second Cash & Carry Store on Dec. 19th, also.
2. Thank-Scrip-ing Day is coming up Mon., Nov. 21st! If you are signed up for online ordering you may participate in the extra bonus rebates available that day. Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
3. TRIP orders are due this Thursday, Nov. 14th by 10 a.m. Please note: The week of Thanksgiving TRIP orders will be due on Wed. Nov. 27th.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 11/11): Outback – 9%; Petsmart – 7%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%; Applebee’s – 12%.
5. Upcoming Bonus Rebates (week of 11/18): Jewel – 5%; Shutterfly – 11%.
6. Team C (April Vander Meyden, Jamie Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 12th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Nov 19; Team A – Nov 26; Team B – Dec 3; Team C – Dec 10
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana on Thursday, December 5 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 5 at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items or diapers of any size to be donated to Haven House in Hammond. If you have any questions, please contact Tya Koutz at 219-730-8931.