PARENT NOTE – November 4, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is hard to believe we are over a quarter of our way through the school year. We have much to celebrate, as our students and staff have been working hard to continue our mission of being academically equipped, biblically grounded and spiritually nurtured to impact their world for Christ. This week at conferences, students and staff will be able to share a snapshot of the progress that has been made and plans for what the future holds. These conferences are critical to the ongoing support each child receives through the home – school partnership. The data and feedback presented are beneficial benchmarks to observe the past, but more importantly are a tool to assist in creating plans for the future. We are looking forward to seeing you Wednesday evening or Thursday afternoon/evening!
Mr. Kyle Weener – Principal
1. Reminder: There is no late start this Wednesday, Nov. 6.
2. Parent/Teacher Conferences are this Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 6 & 7. If you cannot make the time that you scheduled for your child’s conference, please contact your child’s teacher. If you haven’t signed up for conferences, your child’s teacher will be contacting you. The online sign-up has been closed – you will no longer be able to sign up your child yourself. Students in grades 3-8 should attend the conference with their parents.
3. Important Reminder: School will dismiss this Thursday at 1:45 and there is no school on Friday. There will be aftercare this Thursday.
4. Lost & Found: A lost & found table will be set up in the hall by the teachers’ lounge during conferences. Please check it out – you just might find some of your child’s items there! All items left after conferences will be given to etc…Thrift Store.
5. Everyone is invited to our Veterans Assembly this Thursday, Nov. 7 beginning at 8:45 a.m. We will be acknowledging a number of veterans associated with HCS. Please join us!
6. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the office for all of your holiday baking. 8oz. bottle for $2.00. Don’t wait too long – they sell out fast! If you have any empty 8, 10, or 12 oz. glass bottles, please send them to the office so more vanilla can be made.
7. The Thanksgiving season gives us the opportunity to show our thankfulness to God by sharing with others in need. For Thanksgiving this year, we will be collecting food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries in Roseland, IL. These gifts will be presented at our Thanksgiving Chapel on Wed., Nov. 27. A list of needed items is on the Thanksgiving letter that will be sent home today. All donations will be collected in the students’ classrooms. We will begin collecting items the week of November 11.
TRIP CASH & CARRY STORE
1. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Nov. 7 from 8:15 a.m. to 9 a.m. To purchase gift cards at other times contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com and leave a message.
Gift Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Bass Pro Shops $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Beggars Pizza $10, Bed, Bath & Beyond $25, Best Buy $25, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Cabela’s $25,
Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10/$25, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hallmark $25, Hohman Floral $10, JCPenney $25, Jewel $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lettuce Entertain U $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, PetSmart $25, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Robin $25, ShutterFly $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10/$25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, SweetFrog $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, The Home Depot $25, TJ Maxx $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25,
Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Cascading Gift Card File $3
1. Family Movie Night – November 15 at 6:30 (doors open at 6). Free event for entire school and their families. Light snacks will be provided for free. The movie title will be announced next week. Come enjoy the fruits of your hard labor from selling candy bars!
2. Staff Appreciation Breakfast- December 4. To volunteer, sign up with Faith Best firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Extra Bulls ticket information was emailed out to those who won a free ticket. Deadline is this week to order more tickets. No parent tickets are awarded this year and there will be no late orders received. Please contact Liz St George at email@example.com or 724-513-4072 for more information.
1. Monday, Nov. 4 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys basketball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Nov. 5 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys basketball vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Nov. 7 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys basketball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. The next TRIP cash & Carry Gift Card store will be on Nov. 7th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
2. Thank-Scrip-ing Day is coming up Mon., Nov. 21st! If you are signed up for online ordering you may participate in the extra bonus rebates available that day. Need to sign up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
3. TRIP orders are due this Thursday, Nov. 7th by 10 a.m. Please note: The week of Thanksgiving TRIP orders will be due on Wed. Nov. 27th.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 11/4): Applebee’s – 12%.
5. Upcoming Bonus Rebates (week of 11/11): Outback Steakhouse – 9%; PetSmart – 7%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George, Kristina Bullion) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 5th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Nov 12; Team D – Nov 19; Team A – Nov 26; Team B – Dec 3
1. Too much candy from Halloween? Want to sell it back for our troops overseas? Ridge Dental Care, 619 Ridge Road in Munster, Indiana (836-5111) is doing their annual candy buy back this Wednesday, November 6 from 4pm to 7pm and Thursday, November 7 from 4pm to 6pm. Bring the children and candy and we will give you $1 for every pound. We look forward to seeing you.
2. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 5 at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items or diapers of any size to be donated to Haven House in Hammond. If you have any questions, please contact Tya Koutz at 219-730-8931.