PARENT NOTE – October 28, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This past week, the Highland Christian staff was able to travel to South Bend and attend this year’s Christian Educators annual conference. The theme for this year was “Establish the Work of Our Hands”. As a teaching staff, we were able to discuss our best practice, glean ideas from others, and share how we are impacting the world for Christ academically and spiritually at Highland Christian. We were encouraged, equipped and inspired as individuals and as a staff.
We have had a number of “out of the ordinary” happenings this past week: the power outage, our practice eLearning Day and shorter school week. Thank you for your flexibility throughout all of these activities (both planned and unplanned!). As a staff, we are thankful for such supportive parents. We are very thankful for you, as you help set the educational tone for your child!
Kyle R. Weener – Principal
1. Picture Retake Day is scheduled for this Friday, Nov. 1. If your children need retakes, please send the original pictures back with them on that day. If your children were absent on the original picture day, please have them pick up an order form from the HCS office and send it to school with them on Nov. 1.
2. Don’t forget to sign up for Parent/Teacher Conferences which are scheduled for next Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 6 and 7.
1. Thank you to all who came out to the Pastor Appreciation Chapel on Friday and helped us surround our pastors with prayer.
2. Save the Date: November 15 – Family Movie Night
1. 5th Graders and Parents – Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 29 is your sort night! Please join us at etc for a fun night of sorting, which helps us out tremendously! We’ll be sorting from 6:00-8:00 pm. We’d love to have a huge turnout!
1. Monday, Nov. 4 – 6th, 7th, 8th boys basketball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. Are you interested in online scrip ordering for TRIP tuition credit? Contact the TRIP office for more information (219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org ).
2. TRIP orders are due this Thursday, Oct. 31st by 10 a.m. Please note: The week of Thanksgiving TRIP orders will be due on Wed. Nov. 27th.
3. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card store will be on Nov. 7th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/28): Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; JCPenney – 5%.
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Missy Buikema, Larissa Vander Pol, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 29th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Nov 5; Team C – Nov 12; Team D – Nov 19; Team A – Nov 26
1. Please join us this Thursday, October 31 from 5-7 p.m. at New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) for Trunk or Treat! A safe and fun alternative to trick or treating! We will have decorated cars with trunks of candy & treats along with a refreshment table. Don’t forget your costumes!
2. SIGN PAINTING PARTY: This Saturday, November 2, from 9am-12pm. P.I.E. (Parents Involved in Education) is having a fundraiser at Illiana Christian High School. Sign up for a fun morning of painting a wooden sign! Cozy Barn Signs will have several different signs available to choose from when you sign up. You can sign up by either going to the Cozy Barn Signs-Schererville website, Facebook, Illiana’s website or follow this link. https://cozybarnschererville.com/?p=26021. Have a mom/daughter morning together, bring a friend or just come to hang out and make a beautiful sign. Space is limited so sign up soon!
3. Too much candy from Halloween? Want to sell it back for our troops overseas? Ridge Dental Care, 619 Ridge Road in Munster, Indiana (836-5111) is doing their annual candy buy back on Wednesday, November 6 from 4pm to 7pm and Thursday, November 7 from 4pm to 6pm. Bring the children and candy and we will give you $1 for every pound. We look forward to seeing you.
4. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 5 at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items or diapers of any size to be donated to Haven House in Hammond. If you have any questions, please contact Tya Koutz at 219-730-8931.