PARENT NOTE – October 7, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As the season begins to turn to Fall, I am constantly reminded of God’s goodness as reflected in Psalm 104 – God’s goodness at hand.
Later this week, grandparents from across the Midwest (and beyond) will come to our campus to celebrate God’s faithfulness in the lives of their grandchildren and grandfriends. There will be those who step onto our campus for the first time, along with grandparents who attended Highland Christian as young children. Whatever their story may be, these grandparents are integral to the story that is to come. They lead by example and guide the next generations in the truth of God’s Holy word. As the psalmist writes, “I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.” We are thankful for our grandparents and for God’s life-long goodness to be displayed this Friday!
Kyle R. Weener
Principal – Highland Christian School
1. This Friday, Oct. 11 is Grandparents’ Day at HCS! If your child’s grandparents did not receive an invitation, please extend one to them. Please make sure the grandparents know who their grandchildren’s teachers are. Doors open at 10:00 and lunch will be served starting at 10:30.
Important Parent Information for Grandparents’ Day, Oct. 11:
• There is a 1:45 dismissal on that day. If you are picking up your child via the pick-up line, please arrive after 1:45. This allows for grandparents to leave safely.
• If your child is going home with a grandparent, please notify the teacher and bus driver by Thurs. Oct. 10.
• K-5 students should dress in nice school clothes. Please, no sweat pants.
• There is no aftercare on Grandparents’ Day.
• There is no hot lunch on this day – students should bring their lunch from home.
2. Parent Performance of the K-5 Grandparents’ Day program is next Monday, Oct. 14 beginning at 7:00 p.m. All HCS families are invited! Students should be in their classrooms by 6:45 p.m. Please note – this is a required performance for all K-5 students.
3. Thank you to those who placed apple slice orders. Pick-up times are Tuesday, Oct. 8 from 5:00-7:00 and Wed., Oct. 9 from 12:00-4:00. Please come at your chosen pick up time. For those of you who did not indicate a preference, we will be calling you when your apple slices are ready.
1. Thank you to all the students who sold candy bars for the Candy Sale – you all did a great job! Congratulations to the following top sellers:
Top 6 sellers: All of these students have won a limo lunch with a friend (date and time TBD)!
Aubrey Staples 2R sold 19 boxes, Amelia Scheeringa KB sold 13 boxes, Emily Glowacki 1DY sold 13 boxes, Oleta Williams-Brown 4JA sold 10 boxes, Nathan Witham 7P sold 10 boxes, Jaida Vaca 8S sold 10 boxes.
Bulls Tickets winners: All of these students have won at least one Bulls Experience ticket (date and time TBD)!
KB-Daniel Hamstra, Finley Lang, Juliette Lee, Amelia Scheeringa
1DY-Jayden Bridgewater, Steven Depew, Emily Glowacki, Ezra Miniuk, Brandon Pierce
1O-Julia Figueroa, Gabriel Lockett
2R-Aiden Bailey, Shelby Scheeringa, Tyson St. George, Aubrey Staples, Ke’Airra Williams
2V-Madalyn Barnes, Claire Best, Christopher Deinert
3S-Jake Evers, Taylor Kinkade
4JA-Vincent Avila, Jacob Stevens, Oleta Williams-Brown
5DY-Christopher Howell, Emma Poninski
5M-Olivia Figueroa, Johnny Greene, Ari Smit, Levi Vander Woude
8S-Jaida Vaca, Davion Ware
Everyone who sold a minimum of one box will also receive a free ice cream cone coupon from Dairy Queen. These will be passed out when the Bulls tickets and limo ride information comes in. Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support of PTO. We exceeded our goal!
2. Restaurant Night: Everyone is invited and encouraged to go to Culver’s in Highland on Friday, October 11 anytime between 11-8. When purchasing your food, please mention Highland Christian School and Culver’s will donate 20% of your order to PTO at no extra charge to you! What a great way to end a full week at HCS! Bring the Grandparents after the early dismissal or take advantage of not having to cook dinner in the evening! You just may see some familiar smiling faces serving you. We will also have donation jars at each of the cashier stations. Thank you for supporting PTO!
1. The etc Christmas Open House and Fashion Show is this Friday, Oct. 11, from 5-7 pm. Tickets are available at the store or in the school office for $5.00 each. Join us that night for an evening of giveaways, fellowship, fashion, Christmas and so much more! This is one evening you won’t want to miss!
Monday, Oct. 7 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Tuesday, Oct. 8 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Wed., Oct. 9 – Cross Country Meet at Crown Point – 4:00 start
Thursday, Oct. 10 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Monday, Oct. 14 – Cross Country Meet at Heritage Protestant Reformed School – 4:00 start
1. Shopwithscrip.com Bonus Fest is coming up Oct. 19 through the 25th. If you are signed up for online ordering you will be able to take advantage of the extra bonuses! Call or email the TRIP office to find out more information about online ordering.
2. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Nov. 7 from 8:15 a.m. to 9 a.m. To purchase gift cards at other times contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com and leave a message.
3. This Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 10/7): Domino’s – 11%; Hallmark – 5%; L.L. Bean – 16%; Bath & Body Works – 16%; Cold Stone Creamery – 15%; Outback – 9%; sweetFrog – 14%; Fridays – 9%
4. Upcoming Bonus Rebates (week of 10/14): Jewel – 5%; PetSmart – 7%.
5. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Oct. 10th by 10 a.m.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Kristina Bullion, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 8th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Oct 15; Team D – Oct. 22; Team A – Oct 29; Team B – Nov 5
1. Cadet Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser: Please join us on Saturday, October 19 from 7-10 a.m. at New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN). What better way to start off a fall weekend than by satisfying your appetite with hot fluffy pancakes & sausage while supporting the New Life Cadet Club! Donations for the Club will be gladly accepted at the door!
2. Please join us on Thursday, October 31 from 5-7 p.m. at New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) for Trunk or Treat! A safe and fun alternative to trick or treating! We will have decorated cars with trunks of candy & treats along with a refreshment table. Don’t forget your costumes!
3. It’s Mexican Fiesta Night at Beacon Light Community Church on Oct. 14! Come join us for a wonderful Mexican meal featuring pork and beef tacos and all of the trimmings. Beacon Light is located at 3770 Burr Street (basically the corner of Burr and Ridge) about 2 miles east of Highland Christian. Dinner is served from 4:30 until 6:30 – this would be a great time to leave the cooking to us! Afterwards, you can come back to school for the K-5 Grandparents’ Day program.