PARENT NOTE – September 30, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This past week, we received word that our school community has been named a Model PLC School. This national award is highly touted and given to a few select schools throughout the country. This award highlights our collaborative culture, data-based decision making, focus on assessment, and student learning. I cannot speak highly enough of the excellent staff and former principal, Mr. Payne, who brought the PLC mindset to HCS. We are looking forward to sending more information home about this accomplishment in the coming week!
Kyle R. Weener
1. Reminder: This Wed., Oct. 2 is a late-start day. School will begin at 10:00.
2. Everyone in invited to the all-school chapel led by our 4th grade class, this Thursday beginning at 8:40 a.m.
3. Grandparents’ Day invitations were mailed last week. If your child’s grandparents do not receive one, please extend an invitation to them – also, please contact the school office so they can be added to the list for next year. Grandparents’ Day is next Friday, Oct. 11, doors open at 10:00 a.m. and lunch will be served from 10:30 – 11:15. Please note that school will dismiss at 1:45 p.m. and there is no hot lunch on that day – students should bring their lunch from home.
4. There is no aftercare on Grandparents’ Day, Oct. 11.
5. Thank you to all the students who are giving toward two partnering ministries in rural Zambia. We are hoping to raise $1,000 toward an outdoor pavilion for Poetice’s ministries, as well as $500 for Armour’s Soccer Ministry – the number one way to connect with children in rural Zambia. So far we have raised $292.00 with two more turn-in days left on Wednesday and Friday of this week. Thank you for Blazin’ God’s Light in Zambia!
6. HCS is looking for parents/volunteers who would be interested in helping or leading extra-curricular activities in the area of math, drama, or chess. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Mr. Kyle Weener.
7. Reminder: When dropping off items and lunches for your child during the school day, please put their name and the teacher’s name on the item – thanks!
8. The HCS delicious apple slices are back! They will be ready-to-bake or are able to be frozen. Apple Slices are sold in an 8×12 pan and cost $10.00. Orders will be taken through this Friday, Oct. 4. Order forms were sent home with the students last week.
TRIP CASH & CARRY STORE
1. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., Oct. 3rd from 8:15 to 9 a.m. Gift Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Arby’s $10, Aurelio’s Pizza $20, Baker’s Square $25, Bass Pro Shops $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Beggars Pizza $10, Best Buy $25, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10/$25, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, JCPenney $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10/$25, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TJ Maxx $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Cascading Gift Card File $3
1. Save the Date! The Christmas Open House and Fashion Show will be held on Friday, Oct. 11, from 5-7 pm. Tickets are available at the store or in the school office for $5.00 each. Join us that night for an evening of giveaways, fellowship, fashion, Christmas and so much more! This is one evening you won’t want to miss!
1. Tuesday, Oct. 1 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
B soccer vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00
Thursday, Oct. 3 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Saturday, Oct. 5 – B Soccer Tournament at Crown Point – 9:00 start
Monday, Oct. 7 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
1. The first TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Oct 3 from 8:15 a.m. to 9 a.m. To purchase gift cards at other times contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org and leave a message.
2. This Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 9/30): Domino’s – 11%; Hallmark – 5%; L.L. Bean – 16%.
3. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Oct. 3rd by 10 a.m.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Larissa Vander Pol, Missy Buikema, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 1st. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Oct. 8; Team C – Oct 15; Team D – Oct. 22; Team A – Oct 29
1. Cadet Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser: Please join us on Saturday, October 19 from 7-10 a.m. at New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN). What better way to start off a fall weekend than by satisfying your appetite with hot fluffy pancakes & sausage while supporting the New Life Cadet Club! Donations for the Club will be gladly accepted at the door!