PARENT NOTE – September 23, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This week Wednesday, students, families, and faculty will gather to pray for our school, community, government leaders, world, and the more specific needs of those around us. We are privileged to be a part of a praying school that does not only set apart this one day to pray. As a staff, we regularly pray for our students, constituents, alumni, and pastors. Consequently, students are daily immersed in prayer for their friendships, future, and also for the challenges that face our community.
As we gather this Wednesday morning, let us be thankful for the opportunity to participate in this meaningful event, and that we may fortify the spiritual nurturing happening within the walls of Highland Christian School!
Blessings Always –
Mr. Kyle R. Weener
1. See You at the Pole: This Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 7:45 a.m. Everyone is invited to come and pray with us!
2. Important Pick-Up Information: The Highland Police Department has expressed concern that cars are clogging Ridge Road when arriving from the east and west. If you are not able to immediately turn into the school driveway, circle the block until you are able to enter. The HPD expressed they may ticket violators. Please consider staggering your pick-up time after school to help with this safety concern. Thank you for your partnership!
3. All-School Chapel: HCS will be welcoming Willy and Lillian N’gmabi, who are missionaries from Zambia. Everyone is welcome to attend this chapel this Thursday, Sept. 26 at 8:40 a.m., as the N’gmabis share how they are Blazin’ God’s Light in rural Zambia through futbol (soccer), music, and education. In the coming weeks, the students will have an opportunity to give to this ministry!
4. Calendar Update:
a. Due to the large size of some grade levels, Parent/Teacher Conferences will be scheduled on Wed., Nov. 6 in the evening and Thurs., Nov. 7 in the afternoon and evening. Watch for new online sign-up information coming shortly.
b. There will be no late start on Wednesday, Nov. 6.
5. Help Needed: More help is needed for Grandparents’ Day. We are looking for people to be at school on Friday, October 11 from 9:30 to approximately 12:45. Help is needed to greet grandparents, help seat them for lunch, and help them find their way to the classrooms for class visit times. If you are interested in helping, please contact Laurel Reynhout at email@example.com as soon as possible. You can also leave a message in her voicemail. 838-0356 ext, 113. Thanks!
1. Thank you to all the ladies who came to Muffins for Misses this past Friday morning. What a beautiful way to start the school day! Thank you for your support of the HCS students.
2. Looking for Apple Slice Volunteers! Tuesday, October 8 & Wednesday October 9.
We are looking for volunteers to peel, cut, and assemble apple slice orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or for more info.
1. 7th Graders and Parents! Your sort night is this week Thursday, September 26, from 6-8 pm at the store. Please consider helping us out this night for a few hours!
2. Save the Date! The Christmas Open House and Fashion Show will be held on Friday, Oct. 11, from 5-7 pm. Tickets are available at the store or in the school office for $5.00 each. Join us that night for an evening of giveaways, fellowship, fashion, Christmas and so much more! This is one evening you won’t want to miss!
1. Tuesday, Sept. 24 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Crown Point – HOME 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Thursday, Sept. 26 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Oak Lawn – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A&B soccer vs. Oak Lawn – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Friday, Sept. 27 – Cross Country Meet at Tinley Park – 4:00 start
1. The first TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Oct 3 from 8:15 a.m. to 9 a.m. Check out next week’s Parent Note for a list of cards available to purchase.
2. Aurelio’s Pizza and Beggar’s Pizza are new additions to TRIP! Aurelio’s comes in a $20 physical card denomination with a 10% bonus rebate. Beggar’s Pizza comes in a $10 physical card denomination with a 10% bonus rebate.
3. The TRIP program is in need of volunteers! Volunteers work once a month for up to two hours. Contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email email@example.com for more information.
4. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 9/30): Domino’s – 11%; Hallmark – 5%; L.L. Bean – 16%.
5. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Sept. 26th by 10 a.m.
6. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Mary Brinks, Shavonne Dennie) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Sept. 24th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Oct. 1; Team B – Oct. 8; Team C – Oct 15; Team D – Oct. 22
1. Sign-up information for Dyer Indoor Soccer is available in the HCS office. This is for ages 3years and up.