PARENT NOTE – September 9, 2019
“Blazin’ God’s Light”
Matthew 5: 15,16
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
In celebration of the 100th year of the NFL many of you have been tuning into the first games of the season. Headlined by a defensive battle between the Bears and Packers, each team emerged with exciting story lines of players selected in the draft or signed during the offseason. Despite last year’s results, the future is exciting for the fans, players and coaches.
Similar to the beginning of the football season, Highland Christian has dedicated itself to the retooling of new coaches (staff members), players (students), and fans (parents)! Are you tailgating for the success of your child and what does that look like?
Here are some ideas:
1. Actively read with your child at home (regardless of their age)
2. Work on a challenging IXL standards they have been tasked with in class
3. Actively check OnCampus and communicate with your child’s teacher as to how you can help your child be successful
4. Volunteer at school
5. Provide opportunities for your child to use the academic and spiritual giftings they have been developing at school (volunteering, serving, or mentoring)
Remember to continue to “Blaze God’s Light” in all that you do. You are the number one fan of your child – and your child deserves to be championed!
Blessings Always –
Kyle R. Weener
1. HCS Picture Day: Next Tuesday, Sept. 17, Interstate Studio will be taking the school pictures of our kdg. through 8th grade students. Order forms are being sent home with the students today. Please send the order form back with your child on Picture Day. You may also order your pictures online at inter-state.com/FlyerEntry/40554CF
2. There is homemade vanilla for sale in the HCS office – 8 oz. for $2.00. Don’t wait too long to get yours, they sell out quickly!
3. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday at 8:40 a.m. led by the Leadership Committee.
4. Grandparents Day is Friday, Oct. 11 and invitations will be mailed to all the grandparents in a couple of weeks. If your child’s grandparent information has changed since last year, please contact the school office. New Families: Please send your child’s grandparent information to the office as soon as possible so we can add them to our list.
5. A slip was sent home with the students who have missing forms for the school office. If your child received a slip, please send these forms to school as soon as possible. Thank you!
1. 8th graders and parents……… It’s sort night time! Start the year off right by joining us at etc for your sort night on Tuesday, September 10 from 6-8 pm. This is a great way to help the store out! We hope to see you there!
2. Our Ladies Night Out event is this week Thursday, September 12 from 4-7 pm at the store. Join us for an evening of fun, fellowship and shopping with different vendors. Free admission!
1. Monday, Sept. 9 – 7th & 8th girls volleyball vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Friday, Sept. 13 – 7th girls volleyball vs. Calvary Academy – AWAY – 4:00
A&B soccer vs. DeMotte – AWAY at Covenant High School – 4:00 & 5:00
Monday, Sept. 16 – Cross Country Meet at Illiana Christian High School – 4:00 start
1. Thank-Scrip-ing Day is coming this Thursday Sept. 12 for all of our online participants!! Look for extra bonus rebates from many retailers on the shopwithscrip.com website. Not signed up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com for more information.
2. The TRIP program is in need of volunteers! Volunteers work once a month for up to two hours. Contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 9/9): Boston Market – 13%; Cold Stone Creamery – 15%; Shutterfly – 11%; Sweet Frog – 14%.
4. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Kristina Bullion, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Sept. 10th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Sept. 12th by 10 a.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Sept. 17; Team D – Sept. 24; Team A – Oct. 1; Team B – Oct. 8
1. Redeemer United Reformed Church of St. John, Indiana is happy to announce the dedication of their new worship facility in the Gates of St. John, 10681 Park Place, St. John, IN. The public is cordially invited to attend an open house on Friday, September 13, from 3:00 to 6:30 PM, followed by a service of dedication at 7:00 PM.