PARENT NOTE – June 3, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
It’s hard to believe that this is my last Parent Note to you! No one can ever be sure of what a new position will entail, but I had no idea how much I would learn when I took on the role of Principal of Highland Christian School. In terms of relationships, I have witnessed firsthand how important it is for students to feel appreciated by their peers and by the adults in their lives -so my final words to the students are: Be Kind.
Just as the school, the teachers and the students have grown – I have grown. All of us have used the Four Questions of a Professional Learning Community to get better. We have become clearer about:
1. What our students need to learn – Power Standards;
2. How they will show us what they have learned – MAPs, ILEARN and frequent classroom assessments on the Power Standards;
3. What they will do when they struggle to learn – IXL, additional time and attention through focused instruction;
4. What they will do if they know it – opportunities for independent study and higher level courses.
Does that seem like a lot to remember? Well, here are my final words on academics: Work Smart.
In the materials coming home with your child today you will find information about your child’s progress on English Language Arts and Math Power Standards. Just like last year, we are providing you with IXL lessons that your child can work on over the summer. One thing to note, just this weekend, IXL made some significant enhancements to the program, including additional lessons. These changes have affected the numbering of the lessons. We are working on making adjustments and will be getting this information to you as quickly as possible – so watch for an e-mail. IXL is a wonderful program that is available to you all summer long to help your child be ready for next year.
Thanks for a terrific four years! I hope you all have a wonderful summer and I will be praying for a great next year!
1. Highland Christian School 8th Grade Graduation is tomorrow, June 4 at 7:00 p.m. at New Life CRC. Congratulations to the Class of 2019!
2. Reminder: Tomorrow is the last day of school and there is a 1:45 dismissal. Aftercare will be available on that day.
3. The first day of school for next year is August 20 – we pray that our HCS families have a safe and blessed summer!
4. If your child has prescription medication, epi-pens, and/or inhalers in the office, please pick them up before school dismisses for the summer.
5. Lost & Found: Stop in and check out the lost & found table that is set up in the hall by the office. All items left after the last day of school will be given to etc…Thrift Store.
INDIANA CHOICE SCHOLARSHIP
1. Applications are now being accepted for IN CHOICE Scholarships. Contact Lisa Long at 219-838-0356 x 168 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment as soon as possible. If you received a scholarship for this school year, you will need to complete a new application for next year. For more information, go to www.doe.in.gov/choice.
8th GRADE NEWS
1. Tomorrow, June 4 is graduation day! Students should come to practice at 8:30 am at New Life Church. Practice will take approximately 45 minutes. Students should be picked up by 9:30 am.
2. In the evening, students should arrive at New Life Church by 6:00 pm. Please meet in the basement of the church. Boys should wear dress clothes and shoes and girls should wear a dress or skirt for under the graduation robe. All graduation wear will be handed out in the basement of church. After graduation, we will go over to the HCS gym and enjoy a reception for graduates. All family members and friends are invited. Pictures will be taken in the gym after the graduation.
3. Information for 8th graders attending Illiana Christian next year. Illiana Christian High School offers incoming 8th graders the opportunity to test out of the Computer Skills/Digital Applications I class. An information sheet was sent home with all 8th graders last week. The test-out dates are Tuesday, June 11, or Friday, August 16, at 8 a.m. at Illiana. Please contact the Illiana office to schedule a time.
1. HCS third grade teacher, Mrs. Calli Van Kley, is offering math tutoring for grades K-5 this summer. If you are interested in summer tutoring for your child, you may email Mrs. Van Kley at email@example.com
2. Leveled Reading teacher, Mrs. Cheryl Flory is offering tutoring in math, reading, and interactive metronome this summer for all grades. You may call Mrs. Flory at 708-955-0713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
1. All students were given the opportunity to join a summer reading challenge. Reading is such an easy and effective way to keep your child’s head in the learning game over the summer. Without reading, your child loses learning they’ve gained over the school year and uses valuable learning time relearning information in September. This is why we encourage reading over the summer through the summer reading challenge. The students make a goal for how many books they will read and a paper is sent home to record the goals and the books read. The paper is to be returned to the librarian at the beginning of the school year. Here are some ways to encourage and participate in the reading challenge with your students: purchase books, take your children to the library, take books along on road trips and vacations, play audible books in the car while driving, build reading time into your child’s summer routine, put limits on screen time, find a book series the child likes so there will be multiple books to read, sign up your child for a reading program through the local public library, read the same books as your child is reading and talk about them. Happy reading everybody!!
2. All books should have been turned in and fines paid by now. If a book has not been returned, a replacement charge has been added to your child’s tuition account. All fines not paid will carry over to the next year. We hope that you have a great summer and that books are a part of your fun.
BOX TOPS NEWS
1. HCS Family – you did an outstanding job this past year collecting Box Tops and earning money for your school! You earned over $1000! Let’s get ready for next year to be even bigger by looking for Box Tops over the summer break. Prizes will be waiting for you when school begins! Save your summer Box Tops and turn them in with your name and class noted when school begins in August! Don’t forget to ask your grandparents and neighbors for Box Tops! There will be prizes for the top 5 collectors and the homeroom that turns in the most Box Tops by September 1, 2019. Also check out the new Box Tops for Education App and scan your receipts for even more money for your school reading programs!
1. We will be here through June!! Orders are due on June 6, 13, 20, and 27. The TRIP office is closed in July. Scrip orders start back up the first week in August. For those times TRIP orders are not available consider signing up for the shopwithscrip.com online orders. ScripNow ecards and Reloads are available 24/7! You can order physical gift cards for Cash & Carry and our local vendors, such as Teibel’s or Miner Dunn restaurants, during the summer break but you must contact the TRIP office directly at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com .
2. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday June 6th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 6/3): Arby’s – 9%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Bass Pro Shops/Cabela’s – 13%; Jiffy Lube – 9%; Lowe’s – 5%.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Tori Smits, Cheryl Filler) will be putting the TRIP orders together Tues., June 4th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tues. in the school office by 12:00 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – June 11; Team C – June 18; Team D – June 25; Team A – Aug. 6
1. Illiana Futbol Club, a Christian based travel soccer club, is holding tryouts for the 2019-20 season. Tryouts for birth years 2010-15 (6U-10U) are on June 4 & 6 @ 5:30 and for birth years 2009 – high school on June 11 & 13 @ 5:30. Players should attend both days of tryouts for their age group at Cedar Lake Ministries. More information is available in the HCS or visit www.illianafutbolclub.org/outdoor-tryouts for more info.
2. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to send your kids to one of the best day camps in Northwest Indiana! Viking Academy is offered through Illiana Christian High School and has over thirty options of different day-camps for elementary and middle-school aged students. Join us from July 8th through the 26th for high quality classes and camps. We are excited to bring such a long list of integrative and enjoyable classes to the local community including STEM, baking, fishing, art, hiking, basketball, golf, cheerleading, and so much more! Go to https://www.illianachristian.org/life-ichs/vikingacademy.cfm to read more about the camps we offer and register your child today.
3. Riverside Community Church at 175th & Calumet Avenue in Hammond, IN is still looking for a pianist to play at worship services on Sunday mornings at 11am. This is a paid position and only requires 1 1/2 hours on Sunday mornings weekly or just once a month. Please contact Lisa at 312-719-0649. Teens are also welcome to apply.