PARENT NOTE – May 20, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
One of things I have enjoyed most about my time at Highland Christian has been working to bring the vision statement to life. We worked at making sure we knew what academically equipped looks like – all students learning at high levels getting ready for high school. We learned what biblically grounded and spiritually nurtured looks like – creed, community, calling and hope. And this year we’ve learned what it looks like to impact the world for Christ – by providing support for Roseland and Love, Inc. This Friday, we will again Impact our community with service! And, thanks for your support of the Penny Challenge – as always, our students went above and beyond expectations!
1. This Friday is Impact Day at HCS! As our students and faculty serve at HCS and in the community, we pray that the love of Christ will be seen in us! Everyone is welcome to join us for chapel this Friday beginning at 8:40 in the gym.
2. Everyone is invited this Friday, May 24 to a Cake Reception for Mr. Payne from 1:45 – 3:00pm. This reception will be held in the gym with students, staff, parents, Board and friends of HCS. There will be a presentation of gifts during this reception around 2:30pm. If you are able to join us, please do! If not, please stop in after school to commend Mr. Payne and congratulate him on his retirement.
3. The Grand Finale! Join us tomorrow, May 21 at 7:00 p.m. for the final concert of the year for 5th Grade Band, Junior High Band, Junior High Choir and the Art Department. After the concert, join us in the gym foyer for refreshments and see the art that students in grades 5-8 have created this year!
4. Don’t forget to order your yearbook – there is only a small amount left! Yearbooks will be handed out this Friday, May 24.
5. Magazine Fund Raiser: Anyone can order or renew magazines at any time and the school will receive 40%. Just order magazine(s) and other items online at www.GAschoolstore.com and use the school code 2497394. Click SHOP NOW. Enter school code 2497394. At “selecting student,” choose “skip this step.” Then enjoy your online shopping.
6. Thank you for supporting our school by collecting and sending in Box Tops. Any Box Tops sent in to your child’s classroom by this Thursday, May 23, will count toward the May Collection Contest. The winning classroom will receive a surprise treat. Box Tops are worth 10 cents each! Also keep an eye out for Bonus Box Tops found on products you buy and on your store receipts. Thanks for helping to fund reading programs at HCS!
7. The following letter was received from the Casillas family:
Dear Highland Christian School Staff, Teachers, Parents and Students,
Caring for others is such a BIG part of who the Highland Christian School community is and I wish we could find the perfect way to THANK YOU all for being so kind, generous and thoughtful to us. All the cards, crafts, stuffed animals, blankets and encouragement notes that Isabella has received have managed to put so many smiles on her face. She is constantly reminded of how much she is loved by all of you when she sees all your cards taped to our dining room wall and sees all the items she received from you that were bought and specifically picked out for her, to cheer her up. You have also lightened our financial burden with the monetary gifts you have given our family. For all the Love, Kindness and Support you have shown us during our darkest time, we are so thankful and it will always be remembered.
With Much Love,
The Casillas Family
8. If you would like to support the Casillas family, the Highland Hurricanes Swim Club has designed a shirt for Isabella as she swims for the Highland Hurricanes. Proceeds from the shirt are going to the family to help with their medical expenses and any other necessity that may arise. You may follow the link FIGHTING4ISABELLA for more information.
1. After a great year of reading it is time to turn all books back to the library. May 24th will be the year-end turn in date. Please have all books returned and fines paid by that date. Any books not returned will be marked as lost and a replacement cost billed to the child’s account. Thank you for a wonderful year of stories, learning and books!
2. Calling all library fans: Are you interested in helping the public library this summer? All students 4th grade and up are invited to the Highland Branch of the Lake County Public Library for an informational meeting on how you can be a library volunteer this summer. You may attend one of the meetings on May 22 or 23 at 6:30 at 2841 Jewett St. Highland. The hour long meeting will answer any questions you have about the different ways you can help out at the library. (All first time volunteers need to have a parent with them.) Build your hours over a few summers – after 50 volunteer hours you get a Silver Library card with extra library privileges!!
1. The Art Department is in need of paper shopping bags with handles. This makes it easy to transport the students’ art projects home. Please send any you might have to the office. Thank you!
1. Did you know the TRIP program takes scrip orders through June? The TRIP office is closed in July. Scrip orders start back up the first week in August. For those times TRIP orders are not available, consider signing up for the shopwithscrip.com online orders. ScripNow ecards and Reloads are available 24/7! You can still order physical gift cards for our local vendors, such as Teibel’s or Miner Dunn restaurants, during the month of July. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com for more information.
2. Southwest Airlines (physical cards) $250 gift cards have been added to the TRIP order form.
3. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday May 23rd by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/20): Jewel – 4%.; Red Robin – 10%; Subway – 7%.
5. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter, Laura McDonald) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 21st. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – May 28; Team A – June 4; Team B – June 11; Team C – June 18