PARENT NOTE – May 13, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Do you remember the Ice-cream Social/Back to School Night last August? Perhaps what you remember most is my epic fail at getting our students into their multi-age teams! We did figure out how to do that better and have enjoyed those groups several times this year. On that night you received the Learning Targets for your child’s grade – I say grade, not class, because the Learning Targets, or Standards, are the same no matter which class she or he is in. Throughout the year, these standards have driven classroom instruction and in our primary grades and specials, report cards have reflected progress on those standards. In order to help you see the value of this reporting, last year we did a parallel report/letter for all students – showing traditional letter grades and standards and the feedback was very positive. This year, what you receive will look different for primary and specials because the information that was in the letter is now on the report card. Grades 3-8 will have the same format as last year – regular report card and standards feedback. Next year, grades 3-5 will follow the primary pattern and report grades in terms of the standards. We will be giving you more information prior to sending the reports, but I wanted to let you know that the same valuable information you received last year will be coming again this year, along with links to the IXL program that your child will again be able to access this summer.
1. The faculty and staff of HCS would like to thank our HCS families, School Board and PTO for the goodies, lunch, gifts, and kind words given for Staff Appreciation Week. What a blessing to be a part of our HCS community! Thank you so much!
2. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday, May 16 at 8:40 a.m. led by our kindergarten and 1st grade students.
3. Yearbook order forms were sent home with all the students last week. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out at the end of this month.
1. Donuts for Dudes is this week Wednesday, May 15th from 7:30-8:15 a.m. Join us for donuts and fellowship! Looking forward to seeing you there!
TRIP CASH & CARRY STORE
1. Cash &Carry Gift Card Store: Thursday May 16 from 8:15 to 9 a.m. Gift Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bass Pro Shops $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Best Buy $25, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, IHOP $10, JCPenney $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TJ Maxx $25, The Children’s Place $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25,Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Zandstra’s Greenhouse $15; Cascading Gift Card File $3.
1. After a great year of reading it is time to turn all books back to the library. May 24th will be the year-end turn in date. Please have all books returned and fines paid by that date. Any books not returned will be marked as lost and a replacement cost billed to the child’s account. Thank you for a wonderful year of stories, learning and books!
2. Calling all library fans: Are you interested in helping the public library this summer? All students 4th grade and up are invited to the Highland Branch of the Lake County Public Library for an informational meeting on how you can be a library volunteer this summer. You may attend one of the meetings on May 22 or 23 at 6:30 at 2841 Jewett St. Highland. The hour long meeting will answer any questions you have about the different ways you can help out at the library. (All first time volunteers need to have a parent with them.) Build your hours over a few summers – after 50 volunteer hours you get a Silver Library card with extra library privileges!!
1. The Art Department is in need of paper shopping bags with handles. This makes it easy to transport the students’ art projects home. Please send any you might have to the office. Thank you!
1. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., May 16th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. Did you know the TRIP program runs through June and starts back up the first week in August? For those times TRIP orders are not available consider signing up for the shopwithscrip.com online orders. ScripNow ecards and reloads are available 24/7! Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2. Southwest Airlines (physical cards) $250 have added to the TRIP order form.
3. Last week to Whole Foods gift cards! Whole Food s will be discontinued after May 16th. You can order gift cards, ScripNow ecards and Reloads. Gift cards have no expiration date.
4. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday May 16th by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/13): Boston Market – 13%; Jewel – 4%.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George, Kristina Bullion) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 14th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – May 21; Team D – May 28; Team A – June 4; Team B – June 4.