PARENT NOTE – May 6, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Thanks for your support with ILEARN testing last week! With the exception of a few kids who were too sick to be here, we had great attendance. The students were really engaged and appeared to be doing their best – and that’s wonderful. Today, we started 3rd Grade and next week we have a few Social Studies and Science tests. Once this is over we will be spending some time on MAP tests. We are going to be reducing some of the testing and we had wondered about doing it at all, but teachers and students have expressed that they are eager to see if they made progress on goals that were set for them last fall – so we will proceed.
Many thanks again for those of you who are staggering your afternoon pickup – we’ve made real progress in this area! May is a busy month and I am excited to be spending this last month with you here at Highland Christian as we push toward the end to ensure that students are prepared for next year.
1. Our community rocks! Thanks to all our friends, family, and alumni who came out to support our great school! You are remarkable, and WE are blessed. Thanks for your tremendous generosity – auction brought in $110,000 for HCS! Side note: Raise the Paddle donations totaled $22,920 which means we can complete the classroom furniture upgrades in junior high. WooHoo!!
2. Parents of Bus Riders: This Thursday, May 9 we will be implementing our 5-route schedule for both the a.m. and p.m. routes.
3. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting is this evening, May 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the election of three school board members: Jim Bandstra, Nancy Scheeringa and John Stammis, and the approval of the 2019/2020 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda is available at www.highlandchristian.org and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots are available in the school office.
4. Yearbook order forms are being sent home with all the students today. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out at the end of this month.
5. The all-school chapel led by the kdg. and 1st grade students has been changed to next Thurs., May 16 at 8:40 a.m.
1. Wednesday, May 8 – League Championship Track Meet at Chicago Christian High School – 12:30 start
1. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is May 16th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
2. Whole Foods will be discontinuing the scrip program effective May 18th. You can order gift cards, ScripNow ecards and Reloads through the May 16th TRIP order. There is no expiration date on gift cards.
3. Monday May 13th is ThankScriping Day for everyone enrolled in our shopwithscrip.com program. There will be extra bonus rebates from many retailers for ScripNow ecards and Reload gift certificates. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com for more information.
4. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday May 9th by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/6): Boston Market – 13%; JCPenney – 6%; Outback – 11%; Bob Evans – 11%; Burlington – 10%; Express – 11%; Jiffy Lube – 9%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%.
6. Bonus Rebates (week of 5/13): Jewel 4%.
7. Team A (Julie Sitter, Cheryl Filler, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 7th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – May 14; Team C – May 21; Team D – May 28; Team A – June 4.
1. Information on Indiana University Reading Skills Programs is available in the HCS office.