PARENT NOTE – April 22, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I trust that you all had a great Easter weekend celebrating the resurrection of Christ. Our Easter Chapel on Thursday was great and the students had a tangible reminder of what it means to “give your heart” to Jesus. Proverbs 4:23 says that above all else we are to guard our hearts – I love that – above all else! Why? Because, as the verse goes on to say : “…for everything you do flows from it.” It is a privlege to work with these boys and girls as they develop the hearts and minds they have been given!
Speaking of minds – students in Grades 3-8, starting this week, will have the opportunity to show how their minds have grown through ILEARN assessments. Please pray that HCS students will do their best work over these testing weeks!
I look forward to seeing you all at the Auction on Saturday night and I want to give a HUGE thank you to all of those working so hard to make this event a success!
1. Highland Christian School Auction, this Saturday April 27: Hang out with members of our HCS community, hear about exciting new opportunities for our students and take part in bidding for that special item. Some of these items include the latest electronics, unique home décor, toys for kids of all ages, tools for your next project, women’s and men’s packages, weekend getaways and even Cubs and Bears tickets!!! Food, drinks, dessert and coffee will all be available so come on out, settle in and be a part of the excitement! We can’t wait to see you there!
Highland Christian Auction, Saturday, April 27
• Silent Auction & Bake Sale – 5:00 p.m.
• Live Auction begins 5:30 p.m.
2. Congratulations to our Young Authors winners! Each student in grades 1-5 and select students from grade 6 write Young Authors books each year, and two students are chosen as winners from each classroom. These students, along with 250 other students from area schools, attended the Young Authors Festival at Trinity Christian College last Tuesday. They met author and illustrator Victoria Jamieson, shared books they’ve written, were entertained by an improv group, and participated in a writers’ workshop. This year’s “young authors” were Madalyn Barnes, Aiden Bailey, Chloe Lapina, Joshua Foreman, Adelia Eriks, William Henderson, Cameron Musch, Jennie Luo, Jayden Parks, Gatlyn Dotson, Andjelina Savic, Nathan Sherwood, Natalie Bantsolas, Myles Miller, Justin Jackson, Edyn Ooms, Jackson Turner, Keturah Williams, Nick Neibert, Abbi Smith, Lydia O’Riley, and Nolan Porter. Congratulations, students!
3. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting will be held on Monday, May 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the election of three school board members: Jim Bandstra, Nancy Scheeringa and John Stammis, and the approval of the 2019/2020 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda will be available at www.highlandchristian.org this week and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots will be available in the school office.
4. Thanks for your efforts at pick-up time. Please remember to keep the west-bound left-turn lane on Ridge Road clear as much as possible. The staggered pick-up time is really helping.
1. Join us for a PTO Canvas Paint Night! We will be guided by an art instructor and all art supplies will be provided. Cookies and drinks will be served. May 10, 6-8PM. $20/person. Register on the flyer sent home last week and turn it into the office with payment.
2. The PTO and teachers of HCS would like to thank everyone for your donations at the dinner event in March. Because of your generosity, EVERY teacher has been blessed in their classroom!
1. Wednesday, April 24 – Track League Relays at Chicago Christian High School – 12:30 start
Monday, April 29 – Illiana Track Meet – 4:00 start
1. If you are interested in purchasing Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates you can either order them on the weekly TRIP order form or buy them directly from the TRIP office. For more information contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com, leave a message and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you.
2. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Apr. 25th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 4/22): Bath & Body Works – 16%; Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; L.L. Bean – 16%; Landry’s Rest. – 9%.
4. Bonus Rebates (week of 4/29): Arby’s – 9%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Bob Evans – 11%; Burlington – 10%;
Express – 11%; Jiffy Lube – 9%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%.
5. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Apr. 23rd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Apr. 30; Team A – May 7; Team B – May 14; Team C – May 21.
7. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is May 16th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. SPRING SUPPER – tomorrow, April 23 – Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents Involved in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper tomorrow, April 23. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! Hot beef sandwiches, baked mostaccioli, and hot dogs for the kids will be served, along with other dishes and desserts. A free-will offering will be taken to support the Excellence in Education Fund. Please R.S.V.P. to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 219-374-9395 or text 708-259-1781. ** You may attend without an R.S.V.P. – we are just trying to gauge how much food to order. Thank you for your support!
2. Kent Wagenaar Farmers Insurance is looking to hire someone while their children are at school and for the summer. Hours are flexible, Monday through Friday (no weekends). Please contact Kent for more details; 219-322-3200, email@example.com or stop in the office 425 Joliet Ste 123, Dyer, IN 46311.
3. Riverside Community Church in Hammond (175th & Calumet Ave.) is looking for a pianist to start immediately for 11am Sunday Worship services. Availability could be weekly, once a month, every other week, etc. Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested. Please call Lisa at 219-932-7253.
4. A Miracle for Craig fundraiser will be held this Sunday, April 28 at the Highland Lincoln Center. You may email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Craig is a family member of one of our families at HCS who is battling MS.