PARENT NOTE – April 15, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Last week was a great week with the Elementary Spring Program, The Eighth Grade Parent Meeting to start preparing for graduation, and the first full week of Gaga Ball! We also had several days of no cars waiting on Ridge Road at pickup time – thanks!
In our announcements this week we will focus on Holy Week and use these opportunities, as well as Easter Chapel on Thursday, to share God’s love with our students.
We have now completed our ILEARN Practices and we are all focused on the ILEARN Assessment which begins next week. It is important to note that we are not cramming in preparation for these assessments – they will assess the clear learning targets that have been our focus this year. Here is the schedule:
• Week of April 22 – 4th Grade Math and English Language Arts
• Week of April 29 – 5th Grade Math and English Language Arts
• Week of May 6 – 3rd Grade and Junior High Math and English Language Arts
• Week of May 13 – 4th & 6th Grade Science and 5th Grade Social Studies
The kids are all eager to do their best – so thanks, in advance, for having them here rested, breakfasted and ready to go!
1. Reminder: There is no school on Good Friday, April 19.
2. Everyone is invited to our Easter Chapel this Thursday at 8:40 in the school gym. Please join us as we rejoice in the finished work of our Savior!
3. Everyone is welcome to Young Authors Reception: There is a special reception for ALL students (not just those attending the Young Authors Festival) and their families this evening, April 15 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in the Ozinga Chapel at Trinity Christian College. Enjoy a performance by Trinity’s improvisational group, enjoy refreshments, and hear guest author Victoria Jamieson speak about her books. Trinity will give all children who attend a free Scholastic book! Find out more about Victoria Jamieson at www.victoriajamieson.com/
1. Tomorrow, Tuesday, April 16 is Chipotle Night! Visit Chipotle at 10343 Indianapolis Blvd Ste 101 in Highland from 4:00PM- 8:00PM and Chipotle will donate 33% of sales to Highland Christian School! Thanks for your support.
TRIP CASH & CARRY GIFT CARD STORE
1. Thursday Apr. 18 from 8:15 to 9 a.m. Gift Cards available to purchase: Aeropostale $25, Amazon.com $25, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bass Pro Shops $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Best Buy $25, Buona Beef Rest. $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cold Stone Creamery $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, CVS $25, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25,
Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Family Video $10, Fannie May $10, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25,
Hohman Floral $10, IHOP $10, JCPenney $25, Jiffy Lube $30, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menards $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10/$25, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Pizza Hut $10, Potbelly $10, Qdoba Mex. Grill $25, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$50, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50/$100, Subway $10, Taco Bell $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TJ Maxx $25, The Children’s Place $25, Ulta Beauty $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Zandstra’s Greenhouse $15; Cascading Gift Card File $3.
1. Wednesday, April 17 – Chicago Christian High School Track Meet beginning at 4:00.
2. Illiana Christian Cheerleading Tryout Clinics are being held April 17 from 6-8:00 pm and April 18 from 6:30-8:00 pm with tryouts on April 24th from 5-7 pm. Please contact Coach Carisa at Illianacheer@gmail.com for more information.
8th GRADE NEWS
1. Illiana Christian High School requires all students to successfully complete a computer skills class for graduation. Students may test out of this class. Detailed information regarding the test has been mailed to the parents of 8th graders. There are two test-out dates: June 11 and August 16, both at 8:00 a.m. Contact the school office at 219-558-7066 if you would like to sign your child up for the test. Any questions regarding the test should be directed to Ms. Deb Top at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. sweetFrog Premium Frozen Yogurt gift cards have been added to the TRIP program. The gift cards come in a $10 denomination with a 9% bonus rebate.
2. Moody Dental, Moody Wasif, D.M.D. has been added to the TRIP Voucher program. They are offering a 25% bonus rebate off of any out of pocket expenses for cash or insurance patients. They have offices in Schererville or Cedar Lake. Contact Dina Wasif at 219-322-6892 or 219-374-5591for more information.
3. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Apr. 18th by 10 a.m.
4. Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates will be available for purchase. Certificates will be $15 each with a 20% bonus rebate. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com, leave a message and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 4/15): AMC Movie Theatres $25/$50 – 9%; Applebee’s – 10%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Chili’s – 15%; Hallmark – 5%.
6. Bonus Rebates (week of 4/22): Bath & Body Works – 16%; Bed, Bath, & Beyond – 7%; Landry’s Rest. – 9%; L.L. Bean – 16%
7. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George, Kristina Bullion) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Apr. 16th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Apr. 16; Team C – Apr. 23; Team D – Apr. 30; Team A – May 7
1. SPRING SUPPER – April 23, 2019 – Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents Involved in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper on Tuesday April 23, 2019. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! Hot beef sandwiches, baked mostaccioli, and hot dogs for the kids will be served, along with other dishes and desserts. A free-will offering will be taken to support the Excellence in Education Fund. Please R.S.V.P. to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 219-374-9395 or text 708-259-1781. ** You may attend without an R.S.V.P. – we are just trying to gauge how much food to order. Thank you for your support!
2. Kent Wagenaar Farmers Insurance is looking to hire someone while their children are at school and for the summer. Hours are flexible, Monday through Friday (no weekends). Please contact Kent for more details; 219-322-3200, email@example.com or stop in the office 425 Joliet Ste 123, Dyer, IN 46311.
3. Riverside Community Church in Hammond (175th & Calumet Ave.) is looking for a pianist to start immediately for 11am Sunday Worship services. Availability could be weekly, once a month, every other week, etc. Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested. Please call Lisa at 219-932-7253.