PARENT NOTE – April 8, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE HCS SCHOOL BOARD
Highland Christian School’s Board of Directors is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Kyle Weener (pronounced “Wayner”) as the next Principal of Highland Christian School. He will take up his duties on July 1, 2019.
Mr. Weener comes to Highland Christian School from Kalamazoo Christian School, Kalamazoo, MI where for the past 5 years, he has served as a fifth grade teacher. In addition to teaching fifth grade, he serves as the Varsity tennis coach of KCS’s top state-ranked program. He has also served on the salary study and finance committees, and the school improvement team. As he anticipates the transition into administration at Highland Christian School, Mr. Weener is eager to meet the students, families, alumni and friends that make up our community.
“Christ-centered education rests at the heart of my passion, mission and calling as an educator and administrator. An education that is centered around Christ has the power to change the hearts and lives of students, loved-ones, and the community which it is a part of. God has called us each to different roles within His kingdom. Guiding our young people into their fullest purpose and potential is one of the highest callings we have. I have already seen that Highland Christian is an invaluable institution in helping students to discover the plans God has for their lives. I am absolutely elated to join this team as we continue the work of this great commission.
My joy of working with children, teachers and families is rooted in building strong relationships that extend beyond the bells of the day into a life-long partnership that focuses on proclaiming God’s truth in all that we do and say. We are thankful that God has called us to be a part of the community at Highland Christian School, and we look forward to entering into all that God has for the years ahead.”
Mr. Weener is a graduate of Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, Indiana, and has earned a Master’s in Educational Leadership from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan. He is currently working on his doctorate in educational leadership. The Weeners are active members at Centerpoint Church (RCA) in Kalamazoo where they serve in the nursery, and as leaders on the worship team and within their small group. We look forward to continued strength and growth under Mr. Weeners leadership and are excited to welcome him, his wife Abby and young son Ezra into our school community.
1. Welcome Back! We hope all of you had a wonderful Spring Break! Important Reminder: This Wed., April 10 is a late start – school will begin at 10:00 on this day.
2. Everyone is invited to our K-5 Spring Program this Thursday, April 11 at 7:00 p.m. Students in grades K-5 should dress in nice clothes – no sweatpants or jeans with holes and be in their classrooms at 6:30. This is a mandatory performance for all K-5 students.
3. This Friday, April 12 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
4. Everyone is welcome to Young Authors Reception: There is a special reception for ALL students (not just those attending the Young Authors Festival) and their families on Monday, April 15 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in the Ozinga Chapel at Trinity Christian College. Enjoy a performance by Trinity’s improvisational group, enjoy refreshments, and hear guest author Victoria Jamieson speak about her books. Trinity will give all children who attend a free Scholastic book! Find out more about Victoria Jamieson at www.victoriajamieson.com/
8th GRADE NEWS
1. There is a very important meeting this Wednesday, April 10 at 7:00 p.m. in Mr. Van Dyke’s room. This meeting will be critical for everyone to get on the same page for year-end activities and graduation. Additionally, we will be helping students make their plans for their freshman year. Representatives from Illiana will be here to talk about opportunities specific to their school but also to high school in general.
2. Illiana Christian High School requires all students to successfully complete a computer skills class for graduation. Students may test out of this class. Detailed information regarding the test has been mailed to the parents of 8th graders. There are two test-out dates: June 11 and August 16, both at 8:00 a.m. Contact the school office at 219-558-7066 if you would like to sign your child up for the test. Any questions regarding the test should be directed to Ms. Deb Top at email@example.com.
1. Save the Date: Next Tuesday, April 16 is Chipotle Night! Visit Chipotle at 10343 Indianapolis Blvd Ste 101 in Highland from 4:00PM- 8:00PM and Chipotle will donate 33% of sales to Highland Christian School! Thanks for your support!
1. sweetFrog Premium Frozen Yogurt gift cards have been added to the TRIP program. The gift cards come in a $10 denomination with a 9% bonus rebate.
2. Moody Dental, Moody Wasif, D.M.D. has been added to the TRIP Voucher program. They are offering a 25% bonus rebate off of any out of pocket expenses for cash or insurance patients. They have offices in Schererville or Cedar Lake. Contact Dina Wasif at 219-322-6892 or 219-374-5591for more information.
3. TRIP orders (online and paper orders) are due this Thursday Apr. 11th by 10 a.m.
4. Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates will be available for purchase. Certificates will be $15 each with a 20% bonus rebate. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org, leave a message and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you.
5. Bonus Rebates coming up (week of 4/15): AMC Movie Theatres – 9%; Applebee’s – 10%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Chili’s – 15%; Hallmark – 5%
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Apr. 16; Team C – Apr. 23; Team D – Apr. 30; Team A – May 7. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Apr. 18th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. SPRING SUPPER – April 23, 2019 – Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents Involved in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper on Tuesday April 23, 2019. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! Hot beef sandwiches, baked mostaccioli, and hot dogs for the kids will be served, along with other dishes and desserts. A free-will offering will be taken to support the Excellence in Education Fund. Please R.S.V.P. to email@example.com or call 219-374-9395 or text 708-259-1781. ** You may attend without an R.S.V.P. – we are just trying to gauge how much food to order. Thank you for your support!
2. The New Life Christian Reformed GEMS are hosting an ice-cream social at the church (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) on Friday, April 12, 2019 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Please come join us for some ice-cream with all the toppings! All are welcome. All proceeds from the evening will go directly to our GEMS Girl’s Club.