PARENT NOTE – March 11, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Nothing very inspiring this week, but “Safe and Orderly” matters! I am looking for some help with after school pickup. We have mentioned before how important it is to not stop on Ridge Road traveling eastbound blocking traffic in the lane nearest the curb. We have been contacted by Highland Traffic Safety and they are concerned about the long line of cars in the left turn lane traveling westbound on Ridge Road. Something will need to change. We are exploring a variety of options, but there is one change that would make a significant difference and that would be if some of you would stagger your arrival time to come between 3:20 and 3:25. Teachers are outside until 3:25 and this would greatly diminish the line. If you would please consider this it would be very helpful and might keep us from more substantive changes.
1. This Friday, March 15 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
2. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday at 8:40 a.m. led by our 2nd grade.
3. The Science and Engineering Fair viewing is this Friday, March 15 at 6:00 p.m. Come and check out what our students have been working on!
4. The Science and Engineering Fair is Friday, March 15 and we are in need of judges! No science experience is required, just a desire to listen to students as they show off the work they have done! Judges follow a rubric and check off whether students have hit all the talking points they were supposed to discuss during their presentation. The real grading of the “science and engineering” is done by the student’s classroom teachers. Past judges have really enjoyed this experience! Judging happens during the school day. If you are interested in judging, or simply hearing more about what it might entail, please contact Mr. Van Dyke via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a message on ext. #131. This is a great opportunity for our students to work on their public speaking and presentation skills and it wouldn’t be possible without the efforts of our school community!
5. Save the Date: March 20th, Dan Landstra will be presenting to students in the day and parents in the evening. Dan has great things to say about positive, safe use of technology.
1. Mark your calendars – you won’t want to miss the Junior High Musical, Fiddler on the Roof Jr. on March 28 & 29! Tickets may be purchased at the door for the March 28 performance and Dinner Theatre tickets for the March 29 performance will go on sale on March 18. Be a part of “tradition”!
1. Please turn in all your Read-a-Thon money.
1. Save the Date! The all school sort night is Tuesday, March 26 from 6-8 pm. If you weren’t able to make it on the designated night for your child’s grade, this date is for you! Or if you simply wouldn’t mind helping etc on one more evening, we would love to have you!
1. Tuesday, March 12 – 8th volleyball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:15
Thursday, March 14 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:15 & 5:00
Saturday, March 16 – 7th & 8th Volleyball Tournament at Illiana – times TBA
1. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Mar. 21st from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
2. 2 weeks left to place gift card orders before HCS’s spring break! Order your travel gift cards ahead of time or sign up for online scrip ordering. For more information about retailers or online scrip ordering contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com and a volunteer will get back to you.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 11): Arby’s – 9%; Domino’s – 10%; Red Robin – 10%; TGI Fridays – 9%; Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; Boston Market – 13%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%.
4. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due this Thursday, March 14th by 10 a.m.
5. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter, Laura McDonald) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Mar. 12. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Mar. 19; Team A – Mar. 26; Team B – Apr. 16; Team C – Apr. 23.
1. SAVE THE DATE – April 23 – SPRING SUPPER. Formerly known as Evening for Illiana. Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper on Tuesday April 23. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! There will be a free will offering for the Excellence in Education Fund. The Fine Arts Program will begin at 7pm following the dinner.