PARENT NOTE – February 11, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I am not on campus today as I represent CSI schools on the Board of the Indiana Non-Public Education Association and we are meeting in Indianapolis. One of the things I know we’ll be discussing is the current legislative session and the impact that we may feel in private schools. If there is action that you as parents can help with, we will let you know how best to communicate with your legislators.
While I know that we are still growing into our use of ELearning Days, I am glad that we were able to provide learning opportunities last month and not take away this upcoming Friday and Monday and allow you to take part in any plans you’ve made. On Friday, HCS teachers will be joining with Southwest Chicago Christian Schools for a day on improving our assessment practices. You have heard me refer to the Four Questions of a Professional Learning Community. Question #2 is “How will students show what they have learned?” While assessment used to be the way schools “sorted and selected” students, we now use assessment to help us understand how students are progressing on their path to mastering the grade level learning standards that we shared with you at Back to School Night. An additional assessment is the MAP – Measure of Academic Progress – that your child took in January. We will be sending those results home soon.
And if all that wasn’t enough – there’s roller-skating on Thursday evening! I look forward to seeing you there.
1. Important Reminder: There is no school this Friday, Feb. 15 or Monday, Feb. 18.
2. Parent of Bus Riders: Tomorrow and Wednesday, Feb. 12 & 13 we will be going to our five-route pick up and drop off schedule.
3. The all-school skating party is this Thursday, Feb. 14 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lynwood Sports Center, 2030 Glenwood-Dyer Road, Lynwood, IL. Admission is $3.50 and skates are available for $2.50. Parents and siblings are invited to join the HCS students for a fun-filled evening!
4. Highland Christian School is hosting a Scholastic Book Fair on Tuesday, March 5 – Friday, March 8. The Book Fair will be open from 8:15 until 3:30 each day and from 5 – 7:30 on Tuesday evening (during the PTO supper). Please feel free to shop with your child before and after school. All proceeds from the Book Fair benefit the library reading program.
5. Girls on the Run: Information about the upcoming spring season went out to all 3rd-5th grade girls last week. Registration can be completed online by going directly to GOTROFNWI.ORG and clicking on REGISTER. If you have ANY questions about the program or financial concerns, please let us know!! We want all of our HCS girls to be able to participate in this great experience! You may contact Kristy Tebben (219.718.8446 or email@example.com) or Laura Oakes (219.688.6705 or Laura.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Also, we are in need of extra coaches. No running experience needed! We will be hosting a “Coaches Call Out Meeting” on Wednesday February 20 at 3:30pm in the HCS library. Please come and learn how you can help be a part of the team and influence an amazing group of young girls!!
1. Monday, Feb. 11 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Feb. 12 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Wednesday, Feb. 13 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Congratulations to the following students who participated in Instrumental ISSMA on January 26:
• Priya Sen – Flute Solo-Gold
• Khloe Hyatt – Flute Solo-Gold
• Janna van Belle – Oboe Solo-Gold
• Jenna Strbiak – Clarinet Solo-Silver
• Jadyn Spraggins – Clarinet Solo-Gold
• Zoe Woelkers – Clarinet Solo-Gold
• Caleb Woodley – Alto Saxophone Solo-Silver
• Luke Vanden Bout – Alto Saxophone Solo-Bronze
• Clarinet Trio – Autumn Powell, Kendall Van Prooyen, Simone Smith-Gold
• Woodwind Trio – Kayla Mills, Amelia Yonkman, Lauren Sherwood-Gold
• Lorelai St. George – Trumpet Solo-Gold
• Nick Neibert – Trombone Solo-Gold
• Trumpet Trio – Daniel De Young, Armaan Sen, Cameron Schutt-Gold
• Brass Quartet – Jakobia Johnson, Lorelai St. George, Jaedyn Long, Diamond Smith-Gold
The following students participated in Vocal and Piano ISSMA on February 2 – congratulations students!
• Janna van Belle – Piano Solo-Silver
• Amelia Yonkman – Piano Solo-Gold
• Lauren Sherwood – Piano Solo-Gold
• Lorelai St. George – Piano Solo-Gold
• Dane Scheeringa – Piano Solo-Gold
• Jenna Strbiak – Voice Solo-Gold
• Jessica Roznowski – Voice Solo-Gold
• Kayla DuPuy – Voice Solo-Silver
• Alyssa Escamilla – Voice Solo-Gold
• Jaedyn Long – Voice Solo-Gold
• Lainey Schoon – Voice Solo-Gold
• Priya Sen – Voice Solo-Gold
• Zara Dube – Voice Solo-Silver
Thank you for representing our school so well!
1. Think Spring! Traveling for spring break? Order your travel gift cards ahead of time or sign up for online scrip ordering. For more information about retailers or online scrip ordering contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com and a volunteer will get back to you.
2. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is coming up on Thurs., Feb. 21st from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 11): Barnes & Nobles – 12%; Chili’s – 15%; JCPenney – 6%; Build A Bear Workshop – 9%.
4. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates: Gap/Old Navy – 17%.
5. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due this Thursday, Feb. 14th by 10 a.m.
6. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter, Laura McDonald) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues. Feb. 12th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tues. in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Feb. 19; Team A – Feb. 26; Team B – Mar. 5; Team C – Mar. 12
1. SAVE THE DATE – April 23 – SPRING SUPPER. Formerly known as Evening for Illiana. Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper on Tuesday April 23. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! There will be a free will offering for the Excellence in Education Fund. The Fine Arts Program will begin at 7pm following the dinner.
2. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Join us on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. for our Spring PREVIEW. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School! Parents and students are all welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, and have your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. The first 100 students will receive a free T-shirt. Questions can be directed to our Director of Admissions, Marie Limback at 219-558-7066 Ext. 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org.