PARENT NOTE – February 4, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Hopefully you saw the e-mail reminder on Friday that we will have a full day of school instead of the previously scheduled Late Start on Wednesday, February 6th. We know that disruptions to the regular schedule are challenging to you as parents and because of interruptions to our regular day, I thought this change would help.
Today is an exciting day as our 8th Grade Engineering students will be displaying the pull toys that they designed and built to the rest of the students. I am so glad that from K-8, our students are being exposed in a meaningful way to the “E” in STEM – engineering. The ability to problem solve in an authentic and collaborative environment is a hallmark of 21st Century learning. It is a privilege to work with you to prepare students for a future that will benefit them and be a blessing to a world that needs reforming.
1. Please Note Important Change: There is no late start this Wednesday, Feb. 6.
2. The all-school skating party is next Thursday, Feb. 14 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lynwood Sports Center, 2030 Glenwood-Dyer Road, Lynwood, IL. Admission is $3.50 and skates are available for $2.50. Parents and siblings are invited to join the HCS students for a fun-filled evening!
3. Everyone is invited to the Gifts Assembly this Thursday, Feb. 7 beginning at 8:40 a.m.
4. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2019/2020 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
5. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2019/2020 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
6. Clothing Drive for etc. Help support etc… thrift store by bringing bags of clothing to HCS.
Who: all students
When: January 16-February 6
How: Label your bag with your child’s homeroom and bring the clothes to the classroom.
Leadership students will collect the bags and weigh them and a there will be a PRIZE given for the class with the greatest amount (weight) of clothing.
1. First Graders and Parents……It’s your turn for sort night! Join us at etc from 6-8 pm on Tues., Feb. 5. Please consider giving back to etc by helping us sort!
2. Parents! Don’t forget we are now open Tuesday and Thursday evenings until 7:00 pm!
1. Monday, Feb. 4 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Feb. 5 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Feb. 7 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Saturday, Feb. 9 – 6th Girls Basketball Tournament at Lansing – times TBA
Monday, Feb. 11 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is coming up on Thurs., Feb. 21st from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
2. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 4): AMC Movie – 9%; Build A Bear Workshop – 9%; Landry’s Rest. – 9%; Papa John’s Pizza – 9%.
3. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates: Barnes & Noble – 12%, Chili’s – 15% and JCPenney – 6%.
4. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due this Thursday, Feb. 7th by 10 a.m.
5. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues. Feb. 5th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tues. in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Feb. 12; Team D – Feb. 19; Team A – Feb. 26; Team B – Mar. 5.
1. Illiana Christian High School is planning a three-week summer camp opportunity called “Viking Academy”. Viking Academy will consist of six sessions – mornings and afternoons for the weeks of July 8-12, July 15-19 and July 22-26. Families can choose to register their child for camps during any or all of these six sessions. Viking Academy is open to all students from Illiana’s feeder schools or the surrounding community. The schedule of camps is still being developed, but current camp offerings include STEM, Introduction to Sewing, Spanish, “Explore Service” and a variety of sports camps.
2. SAVE THE DATE – April 23 – SPRING SUPPER. Formerly known as Evening for Illiana. Illiana Christian High School P.I.E. (Parents in Education) is hosting the Spring Supper on Tuesday April 23. Stop in and enjoy a delicious dinner anytime between 5pm-7pm. Open to everyone! There will be a free will offering for the Excellence in Education Fund. The Fine Arts Program will begin at 7pm following the dinner.